This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Does the samples sound the same on every Nord product?

Postby jegatw » 03 Oct 2021, 09:08

Hello there

I'm considering migrating to the Nord Universe. Probably through a Kawai VPC MIDI masterkeyboard with a Nord product on top.

Question is: does the choice in Nord product matter if I connect that Kawai MIDI keyboard to it? Will the same sample (e.g. the Royal Grand 3D) sound the same on a Electro6 and a Stage2EX?
jegatw

Does the samples sound the same on every Nord product?

Sponsor

Re: Does the samples sound the same on every Nord product?

Postby Elias » 03 Oct 2021, 10:16

Hi @jegatw

jegatw wrote:Question is: does the choice in Nord product matter if I connect that Kawai MIDI keyboard to it?

There are differences, and you can find more info about them all over the internet. I don't know much about other Nords than Stage 3 when it comes to MIDI.

jegatw wrote:Will the same sample (e.g. the Royal Grand 3D) sound the same on a Electro6 and a Stage2EX?

Yes.
All (except Electro 1/2) Nords that have a piano engine can use all the same pianos. You can find the piano library and more specific info from [url]nordkeyboards.com[/url].
Last edited by Elias on 03 Oct 2021, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
User-created Stage 2/3 file viewer: https://ns3-program-viewer.cyclic.app
Art is a great excuse to meet another human.
Elias

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby maurus » 03 Oct 2021, 11:23

In principle, yes. This is true as far as the line outputs are concerned, with the minor differences in functionality mentioned in the last post, some of which also concern sound. For instance the Electros don't offer half pedal capability for acoustic piano sounds, whereas the Nord Piano and Stage series do.

However, I had a strange experience with the headphone output when moving from Electro 5 to Electro 6: Apparently they changed the headphone out circuitry so my headphones sounded rather different on the latter. Most probably a simple impedance matching issue...
maurus

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Schorsch » 03 Oct 2021, 11:24

Hi,

adding to Elias’ answers that on the Stage 3 playing piano sounds from an external midi keyboard was not always the same like from the internal keybed of the Nord because of different velocity curves, but that was solved at least on the Stage 3 with the most recent OS update.
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby cphollis » 03 Oct 2021, 15:20

As others have said, it's largely the same samples across the product line. Velocity curve response has been an issue with external controllers for some, reported as "fixed" in the last release.

There are nuances on filters and effect sections which can change the sound between boards. If you want a three-pedal classical piano setup with your pedals, that's the Triple Pedal which is not cheap. A NS3C with a VPC controller will get you through most any gig you can imagine.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby analogika » 03 Oct 2021, 23:28

The Stage 3 sounds noticeably brighter than the 2 and has a bit more high-end sheen to it, IMO.

A lot of samples work better on the 3 — notably brass, IMO.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Postby analogika » 04 Oct 2021, 12:47

The whole machine has that "sheen" to it. The pianos sound and handle noticeably differently.

This is what I wrote at the time:

The Stage 3 as a machine sounds more "polished" to me — there's a high-end sheen that gives it a lovely shimmer that the Stage 2 doesn't have. This applies to the synth and the pianos, as well as the organ. Thankfully, the organ has a horn/rotor balance adjustment to counteract it.
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
analogika

Postby analogika » 28 Oct 2021, 17:44

Henrik Stromberg wrote:If we are talking about live stage you will not hear any difference as well as the listeners, but if it is about soundwriting in studio you will hear the difference at mastering part.

Brass samples work *much* better onstage on the 3 than they did with the 2 IMO.
analogika

Postby tsss27 » 19 Nov 2021, 10:13

Don't forget that some models have more control over samples than others, for example the newer filter options for the piano library on the most recent Nords, or for the sample library, how much control you have over the filter, envelopes etc.
tsss27
Patch Creator

Next

Return to General Nord Forum