All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Re: New RCF TT-08a II - Help!

Postby cphollis » 29 Aug 2021, 14:14

It sounds thin because you're not feeding it enough gain. A best of breed solution would be the Radial Engineering Key Largo. Lots of cheaper stuff out there, but given your investment in the RCFs, you want that one.

I think there's scant documentation as the TT is designed to be part of a larger sound system with RDnet, etc. That is where you'll see all the deep settings which should be avoided unless you know what you're doing. E.g. I had a friend who inadvertently set one unit for a 10ms delay. It drove him nuts for weeks until he figured out what had happened.

Yorkville makes a pair of short speaker poles that are perfect for smaller gigs. One speaker over each shoulder, your head in the stereo sweet spot ... it doesn't get much better than that.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Sponsor

Postby Drayman » 29 Aug 2021, 23:09

Dave Ferris,
I’m checked out the JMK site and have to say I am intrigued. The JM-110 is sold wiyhout power supply. Looks like you either buy one for $465 or get it with the JM-13 mic pre. Is that the case? Must sound awesome.
Drayman

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Dave Ferris » 30 Aug 2021, 00:58

Drayman wrote:Dave Ferris,
I’m checked out the JMK site and have to say I am intrigued. The JM-110 is sold wiyhout power supply. Looks like you either buy one for $465 or get it with the JM-13 mic pre. Is that the case? Must sound awesome.

Yes the P/S is extra and works with either the JM-110 instrument di/pre or the JM-130 mic pre. I also own the JM-130 which I used to record my Steinway with DPA 4011s.

Mike Keith, owner, I heard is semi-retired and only building by special order. I've used the JM-110 for the last ten years with four different keyboards, in every live context you could think of. High quality sound -- clarity detail and warmth. It goes a long way of taking the "D" out of digital piano. But then so do the speakers.

Just to add- whenever some says ....yeah you can just go direct without a mixer, say into a QSC K8.2 or even the TT-08As with a 1/4 inch to xlr male, it sounds way more thin and less definition then when using my JMK.

The JM-110 is a solid three levels up in sound quality from my A&H Zed fx mixer fwiw. I would assume the Radial mixer to be at least one level above the A&H but I've never used the Key largo, only the Duplex di....which is excellent.
Last edited by Dave Ferris on 30 Aug 2021, 01:24, edited 1 time in total.
http://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 Steinway D
Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, P-515, CP88
Dave Ferris

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand

Postby Drayman » 30 Aug 2021, 01:24

Cphollis- thank you!
Drayman

Postby Drayman » 30 Aug 2021, 01:27

And thank you, Dave.

I’m new to this but it seems I’m not getting the latest posts right away, and my “signature” is not appearing. Apologies to all. And thank you all for your fast, detailed and experienced replies.
Drayman

Postby wweiss » 03 Sep 2021, 04:55

I was debating TT08 or TT10. I went with the TT10 because I play heavy synth with percussion loops. You lose nothing going with the 10",only louder and more bass. I discussed this with RCF tech and they assured me the electronics are the same, voiced the same. The old thinking an 8" speakers is faster than a 10" doesn't apply to a speaker of this quality/woofer construction. If there is a difference in physics it is not audible.

The author wweiss was thanked by:
Dave Ferris
wweiss

Postby Dave Ferris » 03 Sep 2021, 07:00

I've also looked at the TT-10A II. Mainly because it's the same weight as my TT-08A. I don't really need "louder and more bass" since I play jazz but was curious if overall, the piano might be fuller across all the registers at low volumes (compared to rock), with a pair of 10" woofers.
http://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 Steinway D
Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, P-515, CP88
Dave Ferris

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand

Postby Drayman » 27 Sep 2021, 13:27

I haven’t abandoned you guys- it seems the Key-Largos are in short supply. The preamp won’t come from B&H for another week. I When it does arrive I will provide a full report as to the TT08’s sonic bliss when coupled with the NS3C. I’m starting with two bands- one classic rock with Hammond, EP’s and AP’s (fun and easy); the other is doing a fair amount of 80’s stuff- first wave, new wave, and synth-pop (not my first choices). The second has me working my tail off learning about the synth and sample engine, layering sounds, A/B panels - a real workout - but I’m learning the NS3 in “trial by fire” mode. Stay tuned!
Drayman

Postby cphollis » 27 Sep 2021, 15:24

As long as we're helping you spend your money :)

If you plan on gigging with the RCFs on stage, you might want to check out the Yorkville SKS-02B speaker poles. Small, lightweight and the perfect height for a seated keyboard player with your head in the sweet spot.
cphollis

Postby cphollis » 27 Sep 2021, 16:23

On the TT08A-II vs 10 debate?

RCF's point of view is simple: same basic unit, just choose. So let's look at the freq response curves that RCF publishes, and see if the differences are meaningful? Note: in this price category, you should expect to see these from the mfgr.

TT08-A
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m7EcqCZaSzfy8VWXjAkHQTwTrKoM8e6i/view?usp=sharing
TT10-A
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TKZGVm3EVcOqgLmh1FYgHHkhntfRD9nh/view?usp=sharing

TL:DR: The freq resp curve for the TT10 centers around 95dB, the TT08 centers around 90dB. So, for a given input, the 10 will be noticeably louder, up to DSP limits which should be identical for both. Both are really loud. Both are as flat a response curve as you'll see. Neither will make much sound below 100Hz, so bring a sub if that matters to you. The dispersion polars are near identical, right around 110 degrees where it matters.

On paper, the 10 gets the nod for the better of the two (by a hair), but once I factor in schlep the extra bulk (and perhaps cost) it isn't worth it. Small is good if you're hauling around a large PA system with a pickup truck full of gear. Either one would be a fantastic speaker.
cphollis

PreviousNext

Return to Accessories and Amplification