General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Routing external midi through NS2 to PC

Postby Kanopy » 23 Sep 2021, 12:22

Hi,

I have a rather specific request that I was hoping i might accomplish. I have a midi foot controller behringer FCB1010 which transmits midi notes (how I have set it up) on channel 1 MIDI. I want to be able to plug a midi cable into the NS2 MIDI in, and then route these notes via USB MIDI to my laptop which will control things like ableton and other software. I was hoping to achieve this using the EXTERN section of the NS2 with the soft thru to set to on and setting the Slot A/B midi to USB 1. I can see i am receiving notes from the FCB1010 on the NS2, but those notes are not routed to USB MIDI 1 and the PC can't see them. If I play notes on the NS2 then the PC does see those notes. Has anyone been able to accomplish this, if so how?
Kanopy

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Routing external midi through NS2 to PC

Sponsor

Re: Routing external midi through NS2 to PC

Postby maxpiano » 23 Sep 2021, 13:46

Hi, from the NS2 Manual-> Extern Section->MIDI Re-routing:

The incoming notes must be on the same MIDI channels as set in the Stage 2 for the Dual Kb, the Slot A or Slot B MIDI channel setting or the Global MIDI channel setting .

So I think you need to check those settings e.g. set DualKB to MIDI 1 (if FCB is connected to MIDI IN and transmitting on CH1).
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Kanopy » 23 Sep 2021, 13:50

Ok thanks, so are you saying if the incoming notes come in on MIDI-1 they can't be routed to USB-MIDI-1 they can only be routed to MIDI-1?
Kanopy

Postby FZiegler » 23 Sep 2021, 14:02

No, the notes will always be routed to the Extern MIDI channel. Cf. manual p. 41. While the channel of he incoming notes needs to match one of the DualKB, Slot A, Slot B or Global MIDI channels. That's how it should be according to the manual.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Postby maxpiano » 23 Sep 2021, 14:14

Kanopy wrote:Ok thanks, so are you saying if the incoming notes come in on MIDI-1 they can't be routed to USB-MIDI-1 they can only be routed to MIDI-1?

FZiegler wrote:No, the notes will always be routed to the Extern MIDI channel. Cf. manual p. 41. While the channel of he incoming notes needs to match one of the DualKB, Slot A, Slot B or Global MIDI channels. That's how it should be according to the manual.

Exactly as Fziegler said, so you have to set USB-1 as MIDI Ch for the Extern Section (for rerouting) and MIDI-1 for DualKB (for matching)
Last edited by maxpiano on 23 Sep 2021, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby Kanopy » 23 Sep 2021, 16:31

maxpiano wrote:
Kanopy wrote:Ok thanks, so are you saying if the incoming notes come in on MIDI-1 they can't be routed to USB-MIDI-1 they can only be routed to MIDI-1?

FZiegler wrote:No, the notes will always be routed to the Extern MIDI channel. Cf. manual p. 41. While the channel of he incoming notes needs to match one of the DualKB, Slot A, Slot B or Global MIDI channels. That's how it should be according to the manual.

Exactly as Fziegler said, so you have to set USB-1 as MIDI Ch for the Extern Section (for rerouting) and MIDI-1 for DualKB (for matching)

Ok that's worked to at least get the footswitch to play notes on my NS2 ... but those notes are not then being routed through the USB cable to PC.
Last edited by Kanopy on 23 Sep 2021, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
Kanopy

Postby maxpiano » 23 Sep 2021, 17:32

Are you using Extern A or B? Try with B (I no longer have my NS2 to test it for you sorry, just using my memory and the manual)
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Return to Nord Stage Forum