General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

NS 2 76 HA ... two keys with minimum velocity

Postby calcaire » 30 Jun 2021, 18:13

Hello all. I'm a glad owner of a Nord Stage 2 76 HA since 2011 (bought new)
Sin,ce this winter, I've got a very strong problem with two consecutives keys ( Bb and A just under the central C) .

They play with minimal velocities only, except at start, when they play with full velocity for one or two times before switching to minimal velocity.
Other point is : a slight "1/2 second release can occurs sometimes on this two notes.
Last point is : If i press and hold one of this key, all the other notes of this octave ( only this octave) play at minimal velocity !
Aftertouch seems to work correctly on these two notes.

I've disassembled and cleaned all the keybed and contacts, change the 12 notes contact rubber strip for a new one , and also the flat ribbon cable connecting the keybed contacts to mother board.

So it doesn't looks like a "classic" Fatar rubber strip contact problem... I've switched keys from lower octaves, and it's the same ... Sometimes I've got the impression that the hammer system is a bit on another axis on these two keys , so maybe could be that the rubber strip is no hit correctly when playing ? How could i fix this ?

Also could it be an issue on the lower- keyboard PCB ? ... Could I have damaged the contact strip on this PCB , or other components ( i'm seing some resistors conencted to the graphite contacts under the rubbers ? . the unit just stayed in a cold place for a few weeks this winter, but i can't remeber any shock or liquid entering the keyboard.

Thank you for any hint or simlar issue by here ... I can't afford no 300 euros minimum fixing at this moment, and i can solder a little bit...

Last point, can a factory reset help to restore velocity sensor ?

thanks a lot clavia fans
calcaire

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

NS 2 76 HA ... two keys with minimum velocity

Sponsor

Re: NS 2 76 HA ... two keys with minimum velocity

Postby maxpiano » 30 Jun 2021, 18:30

Hi, based on what you report, it could be a problem at the level of the keyboard matrix PCB tracks or diodes (which is what they are, not resistors) and/or the keyboard scanning ICs, which shows up when the board "warms up" (so it is temperature dependent) . Before going for the solder you should visually inspect the PCB and possibly check suspect the tracks & diodes (of the keyboard matrix, you can find some documentation about the TP40 and in particular the matrix schematic on Doepfer website http://www.doepfer.de/DIY/Matrix_88.gif) with a multimeter, after a warm-up of course.
Last edited by maxpiano on 30 Jun 2021, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
calcaire
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby calcaire » 01 Jul 2021, 01:16

thanks a lot I'll try to investigate ... The problem is to get acess to this part (under the keybed , unscrewing the left side PCB ) and while having the keyboard powered , connect this board to the very short flat ribbon cable .. I' try .. thanks
calcaire

Postby maxpiano » 01 Jul 2021, 07:30

calcaire wrote:thanks a lot I'll try to investigate ... The problem is to get acess to this part (under the keybed , unscrewing the left side PCB ) and while having the keyboard powered , connect this board to the very short flat ribbon cable .. I' try .. thanks

That's why the repair cost you mention (300€ min) is not so low... it is not easy to do that diagnosis, requires skills and takes time...
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby calcaire » 01 Jul 2021, 12:41

yes ... even if i understand it good and can test it, it looks risky to unsolder and resolder one of this diodes, that are really close to each other ... The gigs season has opened and i had to find a solution for my live acts.. better give the NS to the tech service ... Maybe by giving the detailed instructions you shared with me, they gonna put a little less time and billing :) Thanks (grazie ! ) a lot for your help. If they charge really too much, i'll do it by myself at the end of the summer.Maybe I'll go back to you if you agree... Cheerz to Max and all!
calcaire

Postby maxpiano » 01 Jul 2021, 15:55

Makes sense, also consider that here in Italy I saw a guy selling a full NS2 88 keybed replacement part for 280€ here so it may even be the case that a full replacement of the keybed (which you may install in DYI, so just part & shipment cost) may cost less than a repair... if I were you I'd ask the assistance for the best option ;)
Last edited by maxpiano on 01 Jul 2021, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby calcaire » 21 Sep 2021, 18:21

Hello @maxpiano and all ... I'm coming back on this thread after getting further information from my local official service engineer.

He says that it's the "left side (lower octaves)" contact PCB under the keys that has an issue ( Validating the MAxpiano diagnostic :) . The real issue is that Clavia doesn't sell anymore that kind of parts, so I'd have to replace the whole keybed for 840 euros, which i can't afford... I'm trying to find a second hand or a spare one by any way ... But It's always coming from 88 keys nordstage 1 or 2 so I have to be sure it's the same number of contacts, and the same exact PCB.... If anyone here knows how I could be the lucky guy , or I will try to test the defective diodes and change them. Thanks a lot for your help.
calcaire

Return to Nord Stage Forum