Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Nord Electro 4 motherboard dead?

Postby Elli Kozak » 17 Sep 2021, 04:19

Hello kind folks of Nordland,

My Electro 4HP started misbehaving a week ago. Unlike the usual light configuration it does after turning power on, one time I noticed all the lights came on and then the sounds didn't boot. I turned it off and on, and it worked fine for the next day or so, but now it's in that state for good. All of the lights come on (and stay on) after turning power on, but the actual computer doesn't boot and I can't make a sound or change a setting.

I brought it to a local keyboard repairman, and he says that one of the boards is having a major issue and that the motherboard essentially needs to be replaced (unless he went through all 120 pins to try to diagnose the issue).

Has anyone ever had an issue like this and know whether his assessment is correct? I'm really hoping there's a simpler fix than replacing the whole board.

Cheers,
EK
Elli Kozak

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Nord Electro 4 motherboard dead?

Sponsor

Re: Nord Electro 4 motherboard dead?

Postby pterm » 17 Sep 2021, 17:57

Hi and welcome to the forum!
Sorry to hear of your problem with the NE4HP.
In nine years of following this forum, I only recall one case of someone successfully repairing a "fails to boot" fault. In most cases the service shops replace the motherboard.
Unfortunately Nords are relatively rare (compared to, for example, Mac laptops), so people with Nord diagnostic and repair experience are rare also. Subsequently, full board replacement is the quickest and probably cheapest path to repair.
Sorry, but I think there's no better option.
Let us know how it turns out.
-pterm
pterm
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Re: Nord Electro 4 motherboard dead?

Postby Bjosko » 17 Sep 2021, 21:26

I had the same periodic issue on my Nord Stage Classic ( and bought a 61 keys Kronos as backup, very rarely used), it was just bad connection in one of the flat ribbon cables going from the power supply to the mainboard. A little spray with DeOxit and a couple reseating with the connectors, and the trouble went away.
/Bjørn
Bjosko

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Return to Nord Electro Forum