The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum

Re: How long to wait for a C2D successor?

Postby Rob Millis » 21 Aug 2020, 13:07

Hlaalu wrote:Yes but the part that I still fail to be convinced of is that *because* there are already alternatives, then it "makes sense" for them not to continue with it. I mean, there is Korg and Yamaha: is this a reason Clavia should abandon the market altogether? Obviously not. One could see it the other way round, which is that precisely because there is more competition now than when the C1 came out first, this is a stimulus to come up with improvements.

I realise the organ market is niche by definition, and even among us who are interested we seem to have different opinions on what the perfect machine should be. For example, I am not that interested, in fact I am not interested at all in other sounds the machine should posses -- thus making it a hybrid keyboard.

I know there are alternatives, and right now it is the XK-5 that seems to be the closest to perfection -- with an astronomical price. But again, I don't see this as a valid reason to think that Clavia should then give up altogether. We would have the XK-5 AND a new Nord organ to compare and choose amongst.

The fact is that Nord blazed the trail for the portable console that was no bigger than drawing round two 61 note manuals on a big sheet of paper, and now there are less...well..."Nord-y" alternatives out there, half of the market that still needs a dual manual organ will flock to the Mojos and Legends that give them pretty much the same thing in a very slightly bigger, very slightly heavier box that trades this small percentage of portability for a far more tonewheel organ like 'dashboard'. And for lots less money, especially the Legend Live which really does nail the cut down B3 vibe.

So the nearest competitior is a Hammond SKx (Yes the XK5 is lovely, but it's back to that annoying modular chunks format, not a nice, compact one-lump solution you take out of a case and plop on a stand, done). The allegedly improved electric piano voices apparently aren't, it's only the velocity/response that appears to interpret them better and in cold objective listening, the Rhodes and Wurly voices are still very much in clown shoes league, as is the organ in the Yamaha YC-61.

For my money, Nord have lost the organ 'purist' market now and need to have the SKx in their sights and any dual manual C2D successor needs to offer a bit of the Electro experience and at least give some EPs. Or retire from this field altogether and revert to just offering the Electro and Stage as 'all in one' solutions, from whence they came.

Hlaalu wrote:I wouldn't even want such a keyboard... I'd like a dual manual *organ* that does just what it is supposed to, and does it well.
I don't know what to say other than I strongly hope Clavia has not discontinued this section of their products range.

I'm with you 100% on not being remotely interested in a dual manual with a weighted lower manual and Stage-like architecture. Yuck. Too heavy and complicated by a long chalk. Just sort out the chorus/vibrato, get the Leslie to the standard that I can leave the Neo Vent at home, and let me throw the pipe organ out with the trash and instead have a Wurlitzer/Rhodes piano sound available.

Or at least have the decency to come clean, admit they're done here and tell us two-manual folk to f**** off somewhere else - do you know it is now almost exactly TWO YEARS since I started this thread? Two years and four days to be precise. And in that time, no word of a sound engine update for the C2D, nor an outright new model. Nor anything at all organ-related. Just bloody pianos, synths and stupid red speakers. C2Ds sold out in most of Europe and no knowledge of if/when it's going to come back into stock. Deafening silence.
Last edited by Rob Millis on 21 Aug 2020, 13:17, edited 3 times in total.
Twickenham's wayward son.
Rob Millis
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Sponsor

Postby Rob Millis » 21 Aug 2020, 13:53

Hlaalu wrote:We partly agree -- at leaste we agree that "just stay off this portion of the market altogether" isn't the most desirable solution/recommendation for sure.

Personally, I like pipe organs too (and am satisfied with their emulation in the Stage 3), so I would never wish they took them out. Again, I can't but voice my wishes as a customer that they created a dual manual *organ*, with no extra sounds (don't care about those, as I'd still bring a Stage for that), but with the most and best customizations available for organs, click settings, rotary settings, percussion settings, V/C scanners, etc.. Pretty much like it is now but much deeper. That's it, not so complicated in my opinion. Am I really alone in wanting such a machine? :shock:

No, you aren't alone - it took buying a C2D to make me retire my A100 and it is still a wonderful thing on many levels. And yes, you should be able to retain your pipe organ if you wish, I was thinking it would be good if those of us who never use it could have an electric piano instead.

Completely agree that there's not enough tweakability. For example, I often wonder if a few more Leslie simulator editable parameters are all the current sim would need to be able to dial it closer to how we want it to sound, rather than a new sim. If I could sit and edit it using my Neo Vent as a yardstick, I'm sure I could get it close enough to live with any remaining minor differences.

Hlaalu wrote:
EDIT: I know it's been two years without any news whatsoever, but for one thing I think that Clavia timeline isn't as fast-paced -- and rightly so, considering the scope of their products. I think it's normal not to expect updates on a weekly basis. For another thing, I also think that this whole "they are done with organs" thing has come *solely from the opinions of this forum*, putting this statement in no firmer basis that anything else fan-generated that may or may not turn out to be true. So yes, I absolutely want a successor of the C2D but let's also be cautious declaring we "give up" just because of some random people's opinions on the web -- with all respect, as I am part of that random people too! ;)

I'd say 'fair enough' to that criticism if it wasn't the case that new Electro or Piano models seem to come along like buses, when there wasn't that much wrong with the previous ones - and yet no organ news when there definitely is a situation that Nord are trailing the clonewheel market now (or were until the Yamaha YC-61 came out :lol: ) . The Mojo, Legend, the "Hoax" HX3 and - as you rightly say - the Suzuki XK5 are all better sounding tonewheel emulations. The HX system is particularly fine in a MAG built organ.

I had my original C2D stolen in January 2019 and for some reason I bought another when a Mojo or Legend Live would have made more sense. I do hope this loyalty will reap at least an updated sound engine at some point....
Last edited by Rob Millis on 21 Aug 2020, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Millis
Donator

Postby cgrafx » 21 Aug 2020, 19:26

I have to believe that there is considerable effort going into development of a new sound engine platform. The DSP chips being used in all of their current products at this point have to have been already purchased and stored on the shelf. As such Nord cannot continue with the existing architecture as the chips needed for it are no longer being produced.

To be honest I'm a bit surprised they haven't made the jump to a new architecture already, since they've had more than 5 years notice that the DSP chips they are currently using would no longer be manufactured.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby cidra-silva » 15 Aug 2021, 01:55

Hi Guys, any news about this? Any chance of a new version of C2D?
cidra-silva

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Schorsch » 15 Aug 2021, 15:18

cidra-silva wrote:Hi Guys, any news about this? Any chance of a new version of C2D?

No news ….
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Tracii » 17 Sep 2021, 17:07

I was in the market for a clonewheel and briefly considered a used C2 (no D!) for its weight and portability. I actually like Nord's digital drawbars and one set per manual is enough for me. However, I ended up buying a Viscount Legend Solo; at a 20% discount, too good to pass up. :D

I've been playing it for a few days now. So far, I'm happy - it feels solid, the basic sound is fine, and having a dedicated set of drawbars for both sections is really inspiring. :keyboard2: There's a slight harshness to the overdrive that took some getting used to, but the EQ is quite powerful and really helps.
Tracii

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby Tracii » 30 Sep 2021, 15:59

Tracii wrote:Viscount Legend Solo

Two weeks in, I'm still learning.

I've found that by using organ model #6 - supposedly an A100 from 1961 - with Drive and Rotary both set to ROCK, the Legend can sound reaaaaally close to my Electro 3 that's sitting underneath it at the moment. Which is a) wonderful because I love that sound and b) slightly worrying as I might be tempted not to explore what else it can do. ;)
Tracii

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby Rob Millis » 04 Oct 2021, 20:16

Schorsch wrote:
No news ….

...and over three years since I started the thread!

This is poor, isn't it! A plethora of confusion as to whether the C2D is actually discontinued, or have the stores just run out...or....

....come on, Clavia. At least tell us you aren't going to bother! After all this time we are expecting it, so there's not even any need to think up something to let us down gently....
Rob Millis
Donator

Postby maxpiano » 04 Oct 2021, 20:25

Rob Millis wrote:
Schorsch wrote:
No news ….

...and over three years since I started the thread!

This is poor, isn't it! A plethora of confusion as to whether the C2D is actually discontinued, or have the stores just run out...or....

....come on, Clavia. At least tell us you aren't going to bother! After all this time we are expecting it, so there's not even any need to think up something to let us down gently....

C2D is discontinued, no doubt about that (it is in the "Legacy" section of Nord Products on their webs site...); whether a new model will come is still a question... I personally don't think that Clavia will get back into the "dual manual organ clones" market any soon, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong
Last edited by maxpiano on 04 Oct 2021, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby Valpurgis » 17 Oct 2021, 11:39

Nord is still using the C2D organ engine in the current Nord Stage 3. No point in introducing a new dual manual successor until they have developed an updated organ and leslie engine. Hope that will be done for the Nord Stage 4 and eventuallu lead to a new dual manual organ. But maybe the current alternatives from Crumar and Viscount are too affordable to justify the development of a dedicated organ.
Valpurgis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

PreviousNext

Return to Nord C1 / C2 / C2D Organ Forum