Share your complete Nord Stage 3 programs/patches including sample sets (nsmp files) used, including mp3 previews.
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of programs and samples.

The Who - Who Are You intro

Postby Davywavy » 13 Sep 2021, 06:16

Some of the most iconic synth riffs were created by a guitarist, Pete Townshend.

Does anyone have a decent NS3 patch for the intro of Who Are You? I don’t need an arpeggiator or sequencer. I can play the notes. I’m having difficulty approximating the sound. I know Townsend sent a guitar signal through an early synth, but I would have thought that an NS3 could get reasonably close.

Great tune, with lovely piano later on as a bonus for us keyboardists.

Thanks.
Davywavy

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

The Who - Who Are You intro

Sponsor

Re: The Who - Who Are You intro

Postby WannitBBBad » 13 Sep 2021, 14:55

Not a lot of time today so looked at it quickly. Try this: Bring up synth program 1:49 Simple Machine, and make the following adjustments: MOD ENV Attack 3, Decay 4, Release 2; AMP ENV Release 2.5; FILTER Drive 3, Freq 3, Mod Env 5. Take care
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 13 Sep 2021, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...

The author WannitBBBad was thanked by 2 members, including:
DavywavyDJKeys
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby Davywavy » 13 Sep 2021, 18:27

Thank you WannitBBBad! I'll try that tonight.

Your patches for Won't Get Fooled, and Baba O are brilliant, by the way. It is really quite amazing that a guitarist (Townshend) came up with all of these signature synth riffs, that are so recognizable to anyone.

Eminence Front is yet another one!

The author Davywavy was thanked by:
WannitBBBad
Davywavy

Postby WannitBBBad » 13 Sep 2021, 21:05

Davywavy wrote:... It is really quite amazing that a guitarist (Townshend) came up with all of these signature synth riffs, that are so recognizable to anyone.
Eminence Front is yet another one!
I'm reading a book on him now - genius creativity behind so many unique sounds and great songs. I'd appreciate you following up with the program you've created - maybe a MP3 example too? Take care.
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 14 Sep 2021, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...

The author WannitBBBad was thanked by:
Davywavy
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby Davywavy » 15 Sep 2021, 08:23

WannitBBBad, I took your starting point (described above) and added some auto-wah, and tweaked some knobs to get the right speed and depth of the autowah. The original riff is so quick the notes don’t have much time to wah, but it’s there. It definitely needed that quack quack effect.

Who knows, Townsend may have used a wah pedal.

I think I’m close. If I ever figure out how to post a program or mp3, I’ll do it.
Davywavy

Postby apresaca » 15 Sep 2021, 16:14

Is there a similar program( Simple Machine) on NS2, WannitBBBad?
apresaca
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby WannitBBBad » 15 Sep 2021, 22:03

Davywavy wrote:... If I ever figure out how to post a program or mp3, I’ll do it.

It might take a try or two, but below the comment section is a place to attach files. Click the "Choose File" button, select the file you want to load from your drive, and then click "Add the file". You have to load files one at a time. Take care.
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 15 Sep 2021, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby WannitBBBad » 16 Sep 2021, 00:10

apresaca wrote:Is there a similar program( Simple Machine) on NS2, WannitBBBad?

There might be something similar, however I don't have my Stage 2 any longer to listen to the preset synth programs. "Simple Machine" uses a sawtooth wave (what's typically used for an analog brass sound) and has the Modulation Mod Env applied to an OSC2 setting of the shape and Unison set on 1. I am not sure if you'll get the same effect utilizing Mod Env on the Stage 2. The synth in the song changes in different ways so what may work for the beginning may need to be changed for other parts - I'll be interested to hear what Davywavy comes up with using the Autowah effect. As the Stage 2 doesn't have the synth Drive settings 1-3, you could use the Drive on the EQ that can be morphed to the control pedal or mod wheel for sound flexibility. Take care.
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby Davywavy » 16 Sep 2021, 07:25

WannitBBBad has done the heavy lifting on this one. He came up with the fundamental sound (which is above) for the quick synth riff at the beginning of WHO ARE YOU, which dances with the guitar playing of Townshend.

I started with WannitBBBad's first cut at it, and sensed there was a wah effect on each note on the original.

So I added from the effects, AutoWah 2, with setting Amount at 2, and Rate at 2.5. I am no expert at synths. I am a player, not a programmer. The NS3C is my only synth, and so it's trial and error for me. But I think the result, played at speed works well.

Looking forward to WannitBBBad's feedback.
Attachments
Who Are You.ns3f
Intro bit to Who Are You
(592 Bytes) Downloaded 179 times

The author Davywavy was thanked by:
WannitBBBad
Davywavy

Postby WannitBBBad » 16 Sep 2021, 18:01

Thanks for posting this. I listened to the song and I think the "quack" effect you noted was perhaps the filter Resonance adding a little more emphasis to the filter. I tried that with your program and adjusted the Mod Env and Freq to see what that sounded like. In the song it sounds like there are two complementary parts being played at the beginning of the recording but not sure. I went ahead and added a stereo pan on the synth to get a little of the effect in the song and then added a piano on an upper split. Panel B has the synth across the whole keyboard. Here's the modified program and a MP3 of the sound playing a manual version of the intro riff. I hope this helps move it along further for you to use. Take care.
Who-Are-You v2.ns3f
(592 Bytes) Downloaded 166 times
Attachments
Who-Are-You v2 Example.mp3
(86.7 KiB) Downloaded 585 times
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 18 Sep 2021, 03:46, edited 3 times in total.

The author WannitBBBad was thanked by 4 members, including:
PolishPrincedoberman569JeffreyGmobil
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Next

Return to Nord Stage 3 Programs (*.ns3p files)