Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

New here and 1st time buyer

Postby btte100 » 09 Sep 2021, 01:31

Hello my name is Jason from Michigan and I am brand new here. I have been playing and collecting guitars for about 30 years. I'm completely self taught and have very little knowledge of music theory. I have been wanting to dive into the world of piano and start taking lessons. After a lot of research and drooling over the Nord product line I finally pulled the trigger on a Nord Grand today. Hopefully it will ship to me on or around the 13th.

I couldn't afford to buy any other accessories right away so I'll be setting up on my dining room table for now and listening through my headphones or a Mackie Thump 15 BST powered PA speaker. I fully intend to purchase the matching wood legs, music stand and monitors along with a proper bench when my budget allows.

I work at a guitar shop and we sell a pretty basic double braced X style keyboard stand for about $40. For those of you that own a Nord Grand, do you have any input on this as far as being a decent stand to get me by until I can get the official Nord stand? Or should I not trust it to support the piano?

https://motorcityguitar.com/collections ... 0497645634

I was hoping to get some pointers from the community here on what other things I should be considering. From what I understand posture is really important so I'm thinking that getting into a good stand and bench should be at the top of my list? Any pointers from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
btte100

New here and 1st time buyer

Sponsor

Re: New here and 1st time buyer

Postby harmonizer » 09 Sep 2021, 01:58

X stands for keyboards are widely used because they can be built and shipped cheaply, and frequently criticized because they can fail. I looked up the weight of a Nord Grand. If I read it properly it is 46 pounds. I would not put something that weighed 46 pounds and cost over $3k on an X stand. If you are tall and want to play your keyboard while standing up, like at a gig, X stands are an especially poor choice because they become less and less stable as you set the height of the keyboard higher. Welcome to the Nord community.

The author harmonizer was thanked by:
btte100
harmonizer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby Galvalume » 09 Sep 2021, 02:46

I bought this Z stand for my Grand:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079Y ... UTF8&psc=1
It was $65, now $75.
It is very solid. Then I bought a second one for my son to assemble a writing desk for him.

The author Galvalume was thanked by:
btte100
Galvalume

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand

Postby btte100 » 09 Sep 2021, 02:50

Galvalume wrote:I bought this Z stand for my Grand:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079Y ... UTF8&psc=1
It was $65, now $75.
It is very solid. Then I bought a second one for my son to assemble a writing desk for him.
Hey that looks like a pretty nice solution for an affordable price. It sounds like I'll be waiting a few months anyway to get the official Nord stand once I have the cash on hand. I sort of assumed that the X brace would be a poor solution but I'm glad that I asked the question.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
btte100

Postby agcohn » 09 Sep 2021, 03:46

I tried using a generic X-stand with my Nord Piano 4 at first, but the Piano was too heavy that the X-stand started to warp at the heigh adjustment button. I immediately ordered the official Nord stand - metal legs (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... d-stand-ex ....not the wooden one) It's very nice an easy to assemble, thought it is expensive and isn't really height adjustable which I see is a common complaint. I would like the wooden stand eventually, but it doesn't seem to be widely available at the moment (and is definitely a luxury purchase).

I do recommend the Nord Monitors. They sound really good and are a nice break from headphones when you don't need to be quiet. However, they are also pricey.

I recently ordered the following piano bench (https://www.cpsimports.com/extra_long_piano_bench.html) which is really nice and has lots of storage (I currently have at least 8 music books in there including one Beatles book that is over 400 pages, as well as my headphone case and a bunch of extra cables that came with my Nord and there is still extra room in there).

I had previously ordered a more portable one, but it wasn't comfortable for extended playing. The one from CPS Imports is rock solid yet still comfortable to sit on.
Last edited by agcohn on 09 Sep 2021, 04:05, edited 1 time in total.
agcohn

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4

Postby Mr_-G- » 09 Sep 2021, 14:35

The 'X stand collapse' can be prevented by using a belt or strap loop that contains the two horizontal bars (where the keyboard is placed on), so the X cannot open beyond a certain distance: thus preventing a catastrophic opening if the locking mechanism fails.
Some X stands have better locking mechanisms than others. At least some of those using two dented/interlocking parts are curiously made of a kind of cheap alloy that can fracture/crack :facepalm:. Adding a strap makes them much safer.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby sentionaut » 16 Sep 2021, 01:44

I'd be nervous to put such a nice keyboard on a $40 stand.

Maybe there is something in-between this and the Nord Wood Keyboard Stand?

I have a K&M 18820 Omega Pro for my OB6, its really nice and comes in red to match the Nords!

Its a few hundred dollars, but is strong enough to hold 3 X Nord Grands at once.

Regards from a fellow guitarists taking the leap into keys!
sentionaut

Postby tetra » 16 Sep 2021, 03:25

I will second the K&M option mentioned by sentionaut as a good choice. I purchased one of those for a NS3 88 a year or two ago. It is a great stand and super sturdy. I also got the second tier option that I sometimes put my Prophet 6 on. It is extremely sturdy/stable with both of those keyboards sitting on it. And from the aesthetics standpoint, I ended up getting the black stand. I still sometimes wonder if I should have gotten the red one. But black never goes out of style.
tetra

Postby Tasten-Bert » 16 Sep 2021, 10:00

Hi Jason,

as far as an X-stand is concerned I can add that it appears quite okay when you play sitting, but as soon as you play your board standing then the stand gets very narrow and therefore instable on the floor. A Nord Grand weighs more than 20 kg - I wouldn‘t take the risk.

My favourite stand is the k&m 18950 which is adjustable in its width and height. It is rock solid, no matter if sitting or standing. Only restriction may be the price, but mine has more than 15 years on its back and still is perfect.

I had some pictures in an old post here.

Cheers from Germany

Edit: found it
accessories-and-amplification-f8/good-two-tier-stand-for-multiple-nords-t20529.html?hilit=k&m%20stand

or here
post74646.html#p74646
Last edited by Tasten-Bert on 16 Sep 2021, 10:06, edited 2 times in total.
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby FZiegler » 16 Sep 2021, 14:11

Tasten-Bert wrote:My favourite stand is the k&m 18950 which is adjustable in its width and height. It is rock solid, no matter if sitting or standing. Only restriction may be the price, but mine has more than 15 years on its back and still is perfect.

I preferred the k&m 18953 over the 18950. It's not ajustable in width, only in height, but it fits perfectly for tall&slim instruments like stage pianos. The second tier is available as 18952.

The Omega stand from k&m is nice, too. Maybe in the Pro version as it's foldable. The bars on top are bit too broad, so it's reasonable to get the slimmer 18827 bars for stage pianos - just for exchange.
Last edited by FZiegler on 16 Sep 2021, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum