This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

AirTag INSIDE a Nord?

Postby PScooter63 » 14 Aug 2021, 16:54

Being squarely in Apple’s ecosystem, when they released AirTags earlier this year, I started thinking… what if I were to place one within my keyboard? (A looong time ago, I lost my very first gigging board due to being misplaced in a public area.)

Dropping one into the case is way too obvious. But I suspect that the metal case could affect its signal strength.

Having never cracked open any of my Nords, I wonder if the wooden cheeks are sufficient for its signal to escape. Surely there’s not room directly under the (mostly plastic) keybed, is there?

For the record. The dimensions are:
Diameter: 1.26 inches (31.9 mm)
Height: 0.31 inch (8.0 mm)

The author PScooter63 was thanked by:
EvilMcFee
PScooter63

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

AirTag INSIDE a Nord?

Sponsor

Re: AirTag INSIDE a Nord?

Postby MarkJames » 14 Aug 2021, 21:09

I’m skeptical given the metal chassis, and you don’t want something rolling around so you would have to find some way to fix it to the side of the keybed.

Or if you’re handy and creative, remove one of the cheeks and bore a hole in it to hold the airtag and some sort of way to hold it in place.
Nord Piano 4
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Nord Wave 2
Sequential Prophet Rev 2
Mac Mini rack w/Gig Performer
Roland Integra-7
Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Behringer XR-18
MioXL
MarkJames

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Postby sentionaut » 15 Sep 2021, 06:03

PScooter63 wrote:Being squarely in Apple’s ecosystem, when they released AirTags earlier this year, I started thinking… what if I were to place one within my keyboard? (A looong time ago, I lost my very first gigging board due to being misplaced in a public area.)

Dropping one into the case is way too obvious. But I suspect that the metal case could affect its signal strength.

Having never cracked open any of my Nords, I wonder if the wooden cheeks are sufficient for its signal to escape. Surely there’s not room directly under the (mostly plastic) keybed, is there?

I think it would work, people have tested AirTags inside refrigerators and the signal passes through. They have some issues when under water, but I would think inside your keyboard it would be fine. Only one way to find out for sure! Just have the metal side of the tag facing outwards.
sentionaut

Postby Berretje » 15 Sep 2021, 11:19

sentionaut wrote:
PScooter63 wrote:Being squarely in Apple’s ecosystem, when they released AirTags earlier this year, I started thinking… what if I were to place one within my keyboard? (A looong time ago, I lost my very first gigging board due to being misplaced in a public area.)

I think it would work, people have tested AirTags inside refrigerators and the signal passes through. They have some issues when under water, but I would think inside your keyboard it would be fine. Only one way to find out for sure! Just have the metal side of the tag facing outwards.

Maybe you can use a 3D printer to print a holder for it. On thingiverse there are plenty of projects for it!
Then you can properly attach it inside the keyboard.
Gr Bart

Coverband Blush
Nord User Sounds - Program/Sample Collection

>> Check this awesome website to visually view the settings of your NS2/NS3 programs!

Current gear
Nord Stage 2 HA88
Yamaha Tyros 5
Connected with a MioXM and powered by Bandhelper
Berretje

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby agcohn » 16 Sep 2021, 01:04

I wonder if an AirTag could be fit underneath the attachment plates for the Nord EX Stand, as they don't sit completely flush to the bottom of the piano.
agcohn

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4

Postby PScooter63 » 28 Sep 2021, 06:35

I swear, I love this forum… great ideas, all of them!
I have a table router, so embedding one inside one of the cheeks is an option.
Then again, I also have the leg set, that sounds really simple.
Once I get around to actually doing one or the other, I’ll circle back with results.
PScooter63

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Postby cgrafx » 28 Sep 2021, 18:41

PScooter63 wrote:I swear, I love this forum… great ideas, all of them!
I have a table router, so embedding one inside one of the cheeks is an option.
Then again, I also have the leg set, that sounds really simple.
Once I get around to actually doing one or the other, I’ll circle back with results.

The Side cheek will likely work better than the Leg Set. The leg set would essentially encapsulate the airtag in an enclosed metal case. Although it would be easy enough to test to see if the tag works in that location.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby EvilMcFee » 10 Oct 2021, 18:11

Please post a reply if you have tried this and it works!
EvilMcFee

Return to General Nord Forum