This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: Best Piano For Mono Output

Postby daniel70 » 06 Sep 2021, 13:07

White grand, right output („output 2“), works perfectly for me. Same with Amber upright.
daniel70

Sponsor

Postby StrangeAeons » 07 Sep 2021, 15:15

Literally any piano except for the Royal Grand 3D.
StrangeAeons
Patch Creator

Postby AlexNagel » 07 Sep 2021, 22:01

daniel70 wrote:White grand, right output („output 2“), works perfectly for me. Same with Amber upright.

+1!
AlexNagel
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby harmonizer » 08 Sep 2021, 15:50

StrangeAeons wrote:Literally any piano except for the Royal Grand 3D.

Have you tried it? I use my Electro 3 with only a single EV zx-a1, and send only a single channel to the mixing board. On my Electro 3, the Royal Grand is one of the few AP sounds that does not produce a messed-up sound for the octave immediately below middle C.

The only reason I did not use the Royal Grand AP sound for gigs is that I never figured out how to make it "cut" in the upper half of the board, for use in our 7 piece covers band. But when we used to cover Adele's "Someone Like You", we did not need an AP sound that cut, and the Royal Grand was lovely for that.
harmonizer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby StrangeAeons » 09 Sep 2021, 17:02

harmonizer wrote:
StrangeAeons wrote:Literally any piano except for the Royal Grand 3D.

Have you tried it? I use my Electro 3 with only a single EV zx-a1, and send only a single channel to the mixing board. On my Electro 3, the Royal Grand is one of the few AP sounds that does not produce a messed-up sound for the octave immediately below middle C.

The only reason I did not use the Royal Grand AP sound for gigs is that I never figured out how to make it "cut" in the upper half of the board, for use in our 7 piece covers band. But when we used to cover Adele's "Someone Like You", we did not need an AP sound that cut, and the Royal Grand was lovely for that.

Yes, I tried it out in both the L and XL sizes (the L version even came preloaded with my Electro 6). What I actually meant is that it is somewhat disappointing when played through monitors. That is, when I tried it with my earphones it really sounded different from all of the other pianos: it felt more "stereophonic" than the others. But I believe it loses all of its magic with standard speakers: it's a fine piano, but that's it, not beautifully shimmering like the Silver, nor as "realistic" as the White; it's basically what I would expect from any premium workstation, a quality but bland sample. If I were to play a song where the piano's prominent and also needs to be on the soft side, I'd surely go for the Imperial or the Velvet, or even the Italian Grand (although I don't particularly like it). But in the end, de gustibus non disputandum est.
StrangeAeons
Patch Creator

Postby kirsty » 10 Sep 2021, 01:10

Still think the Grand Imperial does a great job in Mono. Used on many a small gig where the house setup wasnt configured for stereo piano.
White works well also but its not as strong sounding as the big Bosie :)

Nord Piano 5 73
Yamaha C6 Grand

Gone but not forgotten
Young Chang G157 | Nord Electro 5HP | Nord Stage 3 HA88 | Roland RD-64 | Nord Stage 2 EX 76 | Yamaha CP4 | Nord Piano 2HP | Kurzweil Artis | Kurzweil SP4-8 | Roland HP507
kirsty

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Return to General Nord Forum