For those with the Nord Grand: how hard is it to transport?

Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.
zezoop
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

For those with the Nord Grand: how hard is it to transport?

Post by zezoop »

Hi!

For those of you that went for the Nord Grand over the stage or piano models, do you find it any harder to transport? How about fitting it into a taxi, etc?

Just curious if anyone can share their experiences here. I'm considering a Nord Grand but there's none available to view in my city.

Thanks!
Jerry Huber
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Re: For those with the Nord Grand: how hard is it to transpo

Post by Jerry Huber »

The Grand is slightly harder to transport than the Stage 2 76. It's 10 lbs. heavier and obviously larger. I use a SKB iSeries ATA case with wheels for the Grand, the case and the Grand together are 75 lbs. It's about 6' long, I transport in a SUV with the rear seat folded down. It's not easy, but I've also put it in the front passenger seat on the floor with the seat laid back.
I use a Quik-Lok T-type stand for the Stage 2, I found using it for the Grand, it had too much wobble to my liking, maybe because of the additional weight and length. I now use a K&M table type stand for the Grand, it's extremely stable, but slightly heavier and doesn't fold up as compactly as the T stand does. Despite those disadvantages, I'm totally happy with the Grand.
ziozeus

Post by ziozeus »

Not difficult at all. Had an mp7se, and that was a little longer and had more problems in the back of my yaris. It was 1.5 kg havier also! I'm using the same light case I have since years. It has seen a p120 cp5 cp4 mp7se and now the grand. Ok the grand is taller and that has me stretching the textile a little to fit and close the zips in the perimeter. It just takes one minute longer. I suggest you take care of the wooden sides. I don't know how and when but i hurted them in the case, maybe just a little compression against the zip and i have two little spots in the edges where the red color has vanished for detaching from the transparent wood finishing. I now protect there and never had that happen again i I think 30 transports
Dave Ferris
Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand

Post by Dave Ferris »

Fwiw, I don't own one but spent some considerable time on one at the Guitar Center last week. I picked it up off the keyboard stand and walked a few feet with it and then set it down again.

Because of the way the case is designed and even though it weighs 5 lbs. more, I found it easier to lift and maneuver around with then the Yamaha CP88 that I returned that day.

Even though the dedicated NG soft case might be the most expensive case in the history of keyboards, unless you can find something that will fit it and offers as much protection, I'd bite the bullet and spend the dough. That's a hefty investment.

I have a Subaru Forester so space is not an issue. A taxi ?....hmm good luck. :) ;)
Last edited by Dave Ferris on 20 Sep 2023, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.
http://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 Steinway D
Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, P-515, CP88
SteveNordP3
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Post by SteveNordP3 »

I had a Nord P3 which was easy to transport and now the Grand (and its wicked expensive soft case) which is still fairly easy but different. It’s twice the thickness though not much heavier. So fairly easy to carry and move but takes up twice the space in your vehicle. I recently bought an M-Audio 88-key controller which feels awful but weighs 13 lbs and is roughly the size of 88 keys and not much else. I use an old Kurzweil MicroPiano with it and it doesn’t sound anywhere near as great as the Nord but I can bring that setup with me on camping trips (I run it through a Demer Box which also doubles as my Bluetooth speaker for my iphone) and get 85% of the fun with an awful lot less effort. But you can’t get the sound or feel the Nord Grand is so great at. Life is full of trade offs I guess. The Grand is great and for me stays at home in a piano shell and serves that purpose really well.

I suggested a while back that Nord should create a rack box similar to the Kurzweil MicroPiano and was roundly criticized for not understanding Nord’s business model. I’d gladly purchase a rack mounted piano module from Nord that I can take on the road with me for fun. For now, I’m stuck with the “cheese” of what I have but it’s doable.

Bottom line - it’s not overly difficult but it is a large physical space commitment. If you gig often you probably have the right vehicle to accommodate and likely won’t find it much different than your other 88 key options. Good luck!
Last edited by SteveNordP3 on 05 Sep 2021, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.
Galvalume

Post by Galvalume »

I bought a Pelican 1770 case for my Grand. It costed me $527.75 , but I haven't used it yet.
https://www.thecasestore.com/shop/case/ ... sport-case
Studiotan
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Post by Studiotan »

I bought a Gator GKB-88 Padded Keyboard Gig Bag ($149). It has large padded velcro straps inside the bag that keep it very snug when you move it. My only complaint is that they should have incorporated a shoulder strap. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... rd-gig-bag
cphollis
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Post by cphollis »

For 88 keyboards, that little handle they put across the bottom of the Nord 88 case, midway up, turns out to be invaluable.

Compared to bags that don't have that handle, it makes the board much easier to lift into and out of vehicles. The halfway handle is perfect when transporting the board vertically with wheels. I do a little judo throw over my hip to get it into the pickup truck shell. An 88 is actually easier to transport than a 76 that doesn't have that handle.

I tried a bag that didn't have the handle, and I sent it back.
I think I have gear issues ....
Skylight
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by Skylight »

Studiotan wrote:I bought a Gator GKB-88 Padded Keyboard Gig Bag ($149). It has large padded velcro straps inside the bag that keep it very snug when you move it. My only complaint is that they should have incorporated a shoulder strap. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... rd-gig-bag
I use a Gator case with my NS3C 73 key - the Gator case actually weighs more than the keyboard - just over 50 pounds together - a bit of a beast. I haul it in the back of a small SUV. It's a bit longer than a guitar case but much thicker.
Galvalume

Post by Galvalume »

I load it in Pelican 1770 case today, have to remove all foam underneath in order to close the lid. The foam in the lid is probably too thick.
Attachments
grand-in-case-020.jpg
grand-in-case-020.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 2399 times
grand-in-case-04.jpg
grand-in-case-04.jpg (6.46 MiB) Viewed 2399 times
grand-in-case-03.jpg
grand-in-case-03.jpg (6.25 MiB) Viewed 2399 times