Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: Notes randomly hitting peak velocity

Postby ziozeus » 21 Oct 2021, 00:43

Dear all, after a while almost all notes in the center zone was showing peak velocities issues. One or two were different in that they had some kind of sensitivity, but almost played values from 100 to 127. I've had some problems with warranty pick up and fearing even worse problems I decided to open the keyboard myself to investigate on rubber contacts. First of all I can confirm that the keyboard is nothing more than a kawai RH3 without let off and counterweights. The pcb underneath the keys is a kawai RH88B-KKB-044. The spare part KAWAI is selling as a whole (pcb+rubbers) has blue rubbers from what I can see in the internet, while those in my grand are grey, which I thought were from the previous model (KKB-040). Also to my surprise after researching (extendently!) I have found both are sold separately as 12 key contacts strip! I ordered two strips (grey) just in case, for the future.
So what I did was following the disassembly instructions to be found here in the forum (you will have to disconnect the action connection to the mainboard, easy task not mentioned there) and two very good youtube videos showing details about an mp7 and/or similar contacts cleaning operation. I delicately cleaned the bcp with rubbing alcohol and the rubber contacts with a pencil eraser. Reassembled. Nothing changed. Reopened. Swapped the two center zone rubbers with other two (so I swapped 24 keys with other 24) and cleaned more energically (still not much fearing damage!) both the contacts and the rubber contacts with the pencil eraser. It became black with cleaning (removing maybe some carbon dust laying there from use consumption I guess? And maybe responsible for some false contacts?).
Now everything is fine and I can happily close this nightmare.
My guess is the problem is not dirt (my contacts were all but dirty and my nord is one year old) but maybe 1) eccessive carbon debries for the fact that both the pcb and the rubber strips black carbon parts are new and 2) the fact that they combine together shaping each other with use, so I thing that more than cleaning, the most effective way to solve problems is swapping them.
Also, since some are having problems and others don't, I think that it's a matter of bad luck!
I hope this my experience can help here.
Bye all
Last edited by ziozeus on 21 Oct 2021, 00:53, edited 3 times in total.

The author ziozeus was thanked by:
intuit
ziozeus

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand

Sponsor

Postby Semihonyer » 29 Oct 2021, 16:46

Yes. I have Nord Grand. Same situation has been happing last 2 months in different keys. I recorded this error for 3 random keys. What did you do guys with this problem? What do you suggest me to do?
Semihonyer

Postby jfingaz123 » 30 Oct 2021, 01:28

I've owned the Nord Grand for 4 months now and confirm that it has never happened yet (crosses fingers tightly). I've also owned the Nord stage 3 compact for 2.5 months now and it also has not demonstrating this problem to date.
jfingaz123

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby ziozeus » 30 Oct 2021, 14:03

The other nords have nothing in common with the grand. If you want to compare with others in the net, utube etcetera relating to the action of your grand, you just refer to infos regarding kawai mp7se, es8, es920, cn25, cn35, cn27, cn37. Also for spares regarding rubber contacts and contacts printed chipboard. (see my post over bere).. But if you are in warranty time, why not refer to your vendor first?
Last edited by ziozeus on 30 Oct 2021, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.
ziozeus

Postby Superlocrian » 23 Jan 2022, 00:00

I've been experiencing this issue with the nord grand too, it's about 12 months old now.
Superlocrian

Postby luisdent » 23 Jan 2022, 08:14

maximpie wrote:Can anyone confirm that it does not occur on the Nord Grand?

Something crazy, but I just came to post about an album i did showing the nord grand 3d grand, and I stumbled on this post.

I absolutely love the nord grand and the 3d grand, but I was recording one of the songs for the album, and although I'm very critical, I still felt like it was taking a lot of takes, because I kept hitting the high E6 I believe, and it was seeming to be very hard to hit without it being too loud. After a while I just figured the piano they sampled had a key out of regulation or something. But now i may have to test more, as it seems it could be this. I never really noticed it before in any majorly consistent way, but this song uses that note a lot and i was struggling to keep the velocity where i wanted. It seemed to only be that note though, so again, i'm not sure if it's the sample, the sensor, or something altogether different, but it definitely isn't my playing...
luisdent

Postby M1tsos » 23 Jan 2022, 14:09

luisdent wrote:
maximpie wrote:Can anyone confirm that it does not occur on the Nord Grand?

Something crazy, but I just came to post about an album i did showing the nord grand 3d grand, and I stumbled on this post.

I absolutely love the nord grand and the 3d grand, but I was recording one of the songs for the album, and although I'm very critical, I still felt like it was taking a lot of takes, because I kept hitting the high E6 I believe, and it was seeming to be very hard to hit without it being too loud. After a while I just figured the piano they sampled had a key out of regulation or something. But now i may have to test more, as it seems it could be this. I never really noticed it before in any majorly consistent way, but this song uses that note a lot and i was struggling to keep the velocity where i wanted. It seemed to only be that note though, so again, i'm not sure if it's the sample, the sensor, or something altogether different, but it definitely isn't my playing...

I listen some of the songs in the link you posted.. i really like your feel and playing skills.. its amazing.. i wish i could play like you.. i hipe to improve during the time its just 9 months i started playing..

Because i am sound engineer and proffesional musician and singer but in other instrument not a piano..

I also notice the 3rd f# at royal grand 3 is louder.. and it is the sample not the keybed.. i will try the e6 also because i havent noticed that.. and i will come back to you.. i have nord stage 3 and nord grand
M1tsos

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Grand

Postby intuit » 17 Feb 2022, 13:22

See next post!
Last edited by intuit on 17 Feb 2022, 15:57, edited 3 times in total.
intuit

Postby intuit » 17 Feb 2022, 14:06

ziozeus wrote:Dear all, after a while almost all notes in the center zone was showing peak velocities issues. One or two were different in that they had some kind of sensitivity, but almost played values from 100 to 127. I've had some problems with warranty pick up and fearing even worse problems I decided to open the keyboard myself to investigate on rubber contacts. First of all I can confirm that the keyboard is nothing more than a kawai RH3 without let off and counterweights. The pcb underneath the keys is a kawai RH88B-KKB-044. The spare part KAWAI is selling as a whole (pcb+rubbers) has blue rubbers from what I can see in the internet, while those in my grand are grey, which I thought were from the previous model (KKB-040). Also to my surprise after researching (extendently!) I have found both are sold separately as 12 key contacts strip! I ordered two strips (grey) just in case, for the future.
So what I did was following the disassembly instructions to be found here in the forum (you will have to disconnect the action connection to the mainboard, easy task not mentioned there) and two very good youtube videos showing details about an mp7 and/or similar contacts cleaning operation. I delicately cleaned the bcp with rubbing alcohol and the rubber contacts with a pencil eraser. Reassembled. Nothing changed. Reopened. Swapped the two center zone rubbers with other two (so I swapped 24 keys with other 24) and cleaned more energically (still not much fearing damage!) both the contacts and the rubber contacts with the pencil eraser. It became black with cleaning (removing maybe some carbon dust laying there from use consumption I guess? And maybe responsible for some false contacts?).
Now everything is fine and I can happily close this nightmare.
My guess is the problem is not dirt (my contacts were all but dirty and my nord is one year old) but maybe 1) eccessive carbon debries for the fact that both the pcb and the rubber strips black carbon parts are new and 2) the fact that they combine together shaping each other with use, so I thing that more than cleaning, the most effective way to solve problems is swapping them.
Also, since some are having problems and others don't, I think that it's a matter of bad luck!
I hope this my experience can help here.
Bye all

Hy guys,
I'm a new user here in the forum. Thanks to ziozues I decided to open my Nord Grand. I confirm that I fixed the peak velocity problem cleaning the pcb, and cleaning and swapping the black carbon rubber strips.
I had some problems with following keys: C4, C#4, D. I swapped the middle strips with the high notes keys on the right.
I post some photos to give you feedback on the disassembly of the piano keyboard, pcb and the rubber sensor strips.
To clean the pcb I used a liquid spray for electrical contacts - I rubbed the pcb with a cotton cloth -, for black carbon I used a simple pencil eraser.
To open the front panel, leave the screw in the rear bottom corner loose. The screw works as a hinge on the wooden sides
Use T20 Torx for the side and rear panel screws.
I hope my post can be helpful.
Bye All.

#opennordgrand #nordgrandinside #nordgrandkeybed #nordgrandkeys #nordgrandhammeraction #nordgrandkawaihammeraction #nordgrandkawaiphiii #nordgrandtriplesensor #nordgrandkeyboards #nordgrandhammerkeys
Attachments
3.JPG
3.JPG (230.57 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
1.JPG
1.JPG (326.75 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (258.1 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
5.JPG
5.JPG (234.55 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
6.JPG
6.JPG (319.08 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
9.JPG
9.JPG (349.78 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
10.JPG
10.JPG (301.62 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
11.JPG
11.JPG (435.19 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
12.JPG
12.JPG (435.38 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
14.JPG
14.JPG (416.15 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
15.JPG
15.JPG (412.77 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
19.JPG
19.JPG (282.27 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
18.JPG
18.JPG (559.83 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
23.JPG
23.JPG (390.78 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
24.JPG
24.JPG (352.2 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
26.jpg
26.jpg (524.65 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
30.jpg
30.jpg (490.09 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
34.jpg
34.jpg (501.07 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
Last edited by intuit on 17 Feb 2022, 16:15, edited 4 times in total.

The author intuit was thanked by 4 members, including:
jimmyjamsparechangeM1tsoshuifilm
intuit

Postby ziozeus » 19 Feb 2022, 02:08

I got some private messages from another user who solved with a mix of all the things we are saying here. Pencil rubber eraser plus swapping seems to be the better action. I'm glad you suceeded. Well done!
ziozeus

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum