This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: Nord Stage 3 keybed vs Piano 4?

Postby cphollis » 28 Aug 2021, 13:20

A few points I'd like to add?

I find the NP4 action very enjoyable, more so than a NS3 88. It is lighter than a typical acoustic piano, and not graded as above. I like it as I can play enthusiastically for 3-4 hours and not suffer as I would with a stiffer, weightier action. I have no problem going back and forth between a real grand and the NP4.

However, if you're studying piano, I would consider it good but not great for that purpose. It makes a great controller for a NS3C.

The NS3 88 never spoke to me. The after touch strip throws me off when I start getting serious at piano parts. The weighted action is ok for piano parts and not great for organ, synth, etc. But I can see how it would work well for others.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Sponsor

Postby aakash » 29 Aug 2021, 20:16

I've mentioned this in multiple threads now but the latest NS3 88 Fatar keybed is improved over previous revisions in earlier years.

I owned a Piano 4 for about 4 months prior to buying my NS3 88 (latest revision). The keybeds are very close.

The biggest difference is the weight, but it is now very slight compared to previous revisions of the NS3 88. The NS3 88 keybed USED to be much lighter. They've boosted the weight of the hammers in the latest version as well as hardened the feel of the aftertouch strip.

I played a NS3 88 2 years ago and found the keybed to be disappointing. The latest revisions have eliminated my gripes.

I actually prefer the slightly lighter feel of the keybed on the NS3 88 because it more closely mimics the light touch of the acoustic pianos that I have access to playing.
Last edited by aakash on 29 Aug 2021, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
aakash

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Previous

Return to General Nord Forum