All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Mipro MI-58 IEM system

Postby MarkJames » 26 Aug 2021, 21:39

I just ordered and received the MI-58 and wanted to provide a few initial thoughts. My use case is to do personal monitoring for my Nord keyboard (and PC VST) stack coming out of my XR18 submix. So it's not meant to feed all band activity although I could add a stereo full board submix input and have it go to the IEMs.

First, $499 shipped is a good price for a digital personal IEM system. I was looking at Shure and Sennheiser and this was a lot cheaper. I was looking at the low end systems but reviews were mixed.

Second, the belt pack is really small, and uses a rechargeable battery. I ordered a couple of replacement batteries on Amazon for around $8 each just in case. I like being able to pop the unit in a charger when not being used. Haven't done any longevity testing yet (i.e. how long will the battery last).

Third, quality is excellent. So far no popping or crackling, but I'm just using it within a few feet of my keyboard. I doubt I will using it much more, but I like not being tethered by a cord.

It was also very simple to set up - I had it running within 2 minutes on the default channel without reading any manual or guide. I like that there are many different channel options available if needed.

Only negative is that the supplied earphones were pretty meh, so I'm looking to get something else. Tested with over ear headphones and the quality doesn't seem to be any different than wired which is what I was hoping would happen.

http://www.ineargear.com/mipro-mi-58-5-8ghz/
Nord Piano 4
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Nord Wave 2
Sequential Prophet Rev 2
Mac Mini rack w/Gig Performer
Roland Integra-7
Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Behringer XR-18
MioXL
MarkJames

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Mipro MI-58 IEM system

Sponsor

Re: Mipro MI-58 IEM system

Postby MuzakaEklekta » 03 Nov 2021, 18:46

Hi!

So good to hear a review from someone who owns this! There's not many out there as it's so new. The fact that its 5.8ghz digital with such low latency is what makes it for me, covering the whole 20hz-20Khz frequency range.

I'm actually looking to buy this with 6 receivers. 4 will be for the band, but the other 2 are to run to the FOH speakers, getting rid of the need for XLR runs. Have you tested this scenario out by any chance? I'm intrigued to know if the wireless audio is indistinguishable from a wired connection. If you're geeky enough, it would be great to record into a version of each for me to hear onto your PC using a song and/or white noise!
MuzakaEklekta

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage EX

Re: Mipro MI-58 IEM system

Postby MarkJames » 04 Nov 2021, 13:37

I haven’t tested out many receivers given my use case but I don’t see why it would be a problem. I don’t have the time at the moment to do A/B testing for wired vs. wireless but I imagine there has to be some difference - it’s just a question if it’s noticeable (enough). I’m not sure I would use it to eliminate XLR runs for FOH. While I think it’s 100% fine for monitoring (a drop in quality or drop out once in a while is livable) ANY issue would affect FOH sound.
Nord Piano 4
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Nord Wave 2
Sequential Prophet Rev 2
Mac Mini rack w/Gig Performer
Roland Integra-7
Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Behringer XR-18
MioXL
MarkJames

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2