Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: Nord Piano 4 stereo vs mono, balanced vs unbalanced

Postby diogenes » 09 Aug 2021, 19:30

Great summary!

And yes, I was partly confused over the tendency to conflate "TRS" with "balanced". For example, https://blog.zzounds.com/2020/05/29/ts- ... rs-cables/ says In a balanced TRS cable, Tip and Ring carry a positive and negative mono audio signal, with the Sleeve functioning as Ground. So when I read that, I thought "oh, TRS cables = balanced." But, sounds like there's technically no such thing as a "balanced TRS cable", rather a TRS cable can carry whatever it is sent, such as balanced mono, unbalanced stereo, or even unbalanced mono, where the "R" part is (hopefully) unused. Better: When a TRS cable is used to carry balanced mono signal, ....
diogenes

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4

Sponsor

Postby Nord33 » 10 Aug 2021, 01:02

diogenes wrote:Question #1:
In Stereo mode, does this mean that each output contains all sounds in a single channel (mono), or in 2 channels (stereo)? I'm thinking it's probably mono, but want to be sure. Of course, even if it were stereo, it wouldn't help me because Logic Pro only receives one channel per input, and I have only 1 line input.

Question #2:
The manual's use of the term unbalanced output is confusing to me because from my reading I thought that balanced/unbalanced was a cable characteristic, and you can choose to use either cable based on your physical setup. In fact, I've done trials with both a TS (unbalanced) and TRS (balanced) cable, and they both work equally well. So I'm not sure what it means to call an output unbalanced?

Thanks!

Actually, exactly from the user manual (from what you have written here) you can easily see answer to both of your questions (and both of them are related to each other).
1. Stereo outputS --> 2 holes, each contains 1 mono output
Stereo outpuT --> 1 hole, contains stereo output (it's unbalanced) --> example of that is headphone jack

2. when you add balanced/unbalanced terms to this whole story --> you can see, Nord manual says unbalanced outputs, that means that you'll need to use not TRS but TS cable.

Important: Don't confuse TRS cable with stereo and balanced output... because that are two completely different terms. Stereo only means two of something. In Keyboard terms, that almost always means L+R, and that L+R could either be sent through:

1. One TRS cable --> single unbalanced stereo output (LR)
2. Two TS cables --> two unbalanced mono outputs (L+R) --> but it's still a stereo image when two mono tracks are connected together
3. Two TRS cables --> two balanced mono outputs (L+R) --> not all keyboards support this (so many players use DI Boxes with TS cables) --> in this case, you're sending two inverted signals through each TRS cable, but one cable contains only one L or R mono.

That's the story with mono, stereo, balanced and unbalanced (TRS, TS, XLR...) cables, keyboards, sounds, whatever :) ;)

P.S. Sorry everyone, I just saw many of you already answered this question... I missed that and went straight to answer this :facepalm:
Last edited by Nord33 on 10 Aug 2021, 01:03, edited 2 times in total.
Nord33

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand

Postby diogenes » 19 Aug 2021, 22:16

Interesting that the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface manual says its 2 inputs accept both TRS and TS plugs. I guess that means it detects which it is and adjusts accordingly, which seems clever.
diogenes

Postby FZiegler » 19 Aug 2021, 22:42

I don't have it, but the manual says, that you should set the litlle switch to INST if you have a (unbalanced) TS and to LINE if you have a (balanced) TRS connection. You don't need to switch anything if you plug in a microphone via XLR connector - that will be detected automatically. Cf. p. 10 in the manual.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby diogenes » 22 Aug 2021, 17:25

FZiegler wrote:I don't have it, but the manual says, that you should set the litlle switch to INST if you have a (unbalanced) TS and to LINE if you have a (balanced) TRS connection. [...] Cf. p. 10 in the manual.

Yeah, that's an interesting paragraph in the manual, and IMO is an example of how unclear writing causes confusion. The manual actually reads:

Press the INST button (illuminates red) if you are connecting a musical instrument (a guitar in the example) via an ordinary 2-pole (TS) guitar jack. When INST mode is not selected, you can connect a line level source such as a keyboard, synthesiser or the balanced output of an external audio mixer via a 3-pole (TRS) jack
(bold mine)

I think the TRS jack was meant only for the bolded section, i.e. an external audio mixer. It's the only thing that makes sense to me, since TS/TRS should not have anything to do with the strength of the voltage in the line. In fact, I am connecting the Nord with the TS cables -- because unbalanced mono is coming from the Nord.
diogenes

Postby FZiegler » 22 Aug 2021, 20:08

Even if the text I was reading from the online PDF version of the manual was quite different:
Note the Scarlett 2i2 has no “Mic/line” switch – the Focusrite preamplifier stage is automatically configured for a microphone when you plug an XLR into the input, and for a line or instrument when you connect a jack plug. Set the LINE/INST switch next to the socket to INST if you are connecting a musical instrument (a guitar in the example) via an ordinary 2-pole (TS) guitar jack, or to LINE if you are connecting a line level source such as the balanced output of a stage piano via a 3-pole (TRS) jack. Note the Combo connector accepts both TRS and TS types of jack plug.

your are right, that I may have been mislead. It may well be that the LINE/INST switch has the same function as on any other audio device (level switch) - and nothing to do with balanced and unbalanced input.

Which would mean that you have to set the selector to LINE if recording your Nord even if it is unbalanced. What you usually do anyway.

So no need to wonder about the terms used for marking the switch. Just to wonder about mixing in TS and TRS into the text for describing the difference and confusing people. It will probably be totally unimportant if it's balanced or unbalanced input.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Previous

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum