All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Half Moon Switch

Postby decross » 18 Aug 2021, 16:48

Just wondering if the half moon switch is any different than using the rotary switch on the keyboard? They both have stop, slow, fast settings.The half moon switch is pretty pricey and don't want to buy it if the differences are small. Nord should have included this on the original design.

Thanks
decross

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Half Moon Switch

Sponsor

Re: Half Moon Switch

Postby Schorsch » 18 Aug 2021, 17:12

No difference in function, just a different way to operate it.
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby FZiegler » 18 Aug 2021, 17:51

I have it on my NS3C, and I'm not sure if it isn't smarter to control the rotor with a foot switch (fast/slow, no stop function) while playing the organ (with no pedal keys attached). But it seems sturdier to me than the buttons on the panel: I don't worry about flipping the stick around from one side to the other.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Postby Schorsch » 18 Aug 2021, 19:37

The half moon switch option is a “reminiscence” to the original Hammond organs for which players are used to operate the Leslie through the half moon switch. Nord trying to emulate a Hammond as close to the original as possible of course does so for the Leslie operation as well, not requiring Hammond players to change the handling. Therefore Nord provides several options for the same function: buttons, half moon switch, foot switch (with some limitations) - one can chose what suits one best
Last edited by Schorsch on 18 Aug 2021, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby neomad » 19 Aug 2021, 08:53

I have the half moon switch since my early days with NE5, and I love it. However... I got used to toggle pedal lately (also in my other organs/synths) so unless you really need it (and you are a real vintage organ performer) it is not really a must have.
Current Keyboard Rig: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha Montage 7wh, Yamaha YC61, Alesis Fusion 6HD. Yamaha babygrand Piano. Extra sounds Ipad with AUM and plenty of synth apps + onsong pro
neomad

Postby Scorps » 04 Jan 2022, 00:15

I have thought about getting a half moon switch and tried using a pedal, but still find myself using the panel button for Leslie. Its location is so convenient that I even use it when playing left hand bass. I keep my right foot for the sustain pedal and left foot for expression pedal (essential for organ!) and often play worship with piano or EP and Hammond and/or pad layered together with the expression pedal assigned for organ swell and pad volume. And every aspect of the sound can be adjusted without digging in the menus - I guess that's why we love Nords!
Last edited by Scorps on 04 Jan 2022, 00:16, edited 1 time in total.
Scorps

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage Classic

Postby Scorps » 05 Jan 2022, 10:31

Hlaalu wrote:
Scorps wrote:I keep my right foot for the sustain pedal and left foot for expression pedal (essential for organ!)

You use the sustain pedal for the organ?

I often do, especially when the organ is layered with piano or Rhodes/Wurly. Of course it needs to be done carefully so that the organ wouldn't get muddy or fall out of style. Sometimes I assign the sustain only for organ and remove it from the piano section for more rhytmic piano parts and organ chords in the background, it all depends on the song.

Here's one example, I'm using Hammond, Wurlitzer (I love this amped Wurly sample!) and left hand bass:
https://youtu.be/cYe0sJkbi6U
Last edited by Scorps on 06 Jan 2022, 01:43, edited 1 time in total.
Scorps

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage Classic

Return to Accessories and Amplification