Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Electro 4HP midi out with the KorG 05r/W midi in

Postby Johnnycoolguy » 09 Aug 2021, 02:22

Hi all
Hi - might be only my second time posting a question - I have a Nord Electro 4HP 73 - and would like to use my Korg 05r/w sound module, using the Electro 4HP as the master Keyboard.
I connected My Electro 4HP midi out with the Kork 05r/W midi in
I went in the midi panel of the Electro 4hp and set the midi parameters
1 On
2 P
3 1
4 2
5 Sr

not too sure what to do next to get the sounds from the module onto the keyboard.........The midi Led on the Korg module is blinking when i play the keys on the keyboard but cant seem to get the sounds from the module. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! THANK YOU!!!
Johnnycoolguy

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Electro 4HP midi out with the KorG 05r/W midi in

Sponsor

Re: Electro 4HP midi out with the KorG 05r/W midi in

Postby anotherscott » 09 Aug 2021, 02:38

Johnnycoolguy wrote:not too sure what to do next to get the sounds from the module onto the keyboard
You can't get sounds from the module onto the keyboard. Instead, realize that you're using the keyboard to trigger sounds that are in the module.

Johnnycoolguy wrote:The midi Led on the Korg module is blinking when i play the keys on the keyboard but cant seem to get the sounds from the module.

If the Korg's MIDI LED is blinking when you play the Nord keys, it sounds like you're most of the way there. Have you connected the Korg's audio outputs to an amp?
anotherscott

Postby Johnnycoolguy » 09 Aug 2021, 04:14

Hey Scott - thanks so much nfor the quick response! I didnt realize that I have to actually take the 1/4" output anf put it into an amp or a line on my mixer (thru the amp) - I for some reason thought that the Lorg was sending the sound patches thru midi and I would be able to play those sound patches when I play by Nord.......? I'll try the line out on the Korg and let you know what happens - Thanks again for taking the time Scott to respond!
Johnnycoolguy

Postby Johnnycoolguy » 09 Aug 2021, 04:18

amazing - it worked!!!!!!!!!! That was an easy fix!!!!!!! thanks again Scott!! saved my but for an upcoming band rehearsal!!! thanks again Brother!
Johnnycoolguy

Postby anotherscott » 09 Aug 2021, 04:27

Glad to help! In general, remember, MIDI is nothing but instructions. No audio ever travels over a 5-pin MIDI connection. So in this case, MIDI let the Nord tell the Korg module what notes to play, but even though the module was playing the notes, you still had to somehow get the audio out of the Korg module to an amp/speaker in order to hear it, and yup, that's what the 1/4" jacks are for.
anotherscott

Postby Johnnycoolguy » 09 Aug 2021, 06:00

For some reason I get confused with using midi x always thinking that the midi cable needs to go out from the module to in on the Nord - thinking that the information from the module needs to be sent to the keyboard . . . Anyway it’s the opposite of that.. . . Now I need to look on line at a Korg user manual for this 05r/W sound module to figure out how it works! Thanks again Scott for the quick response, much appreciated!!!
Johnnycoolguy

Return to Nord Electro Forum