Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Nord Piano 4 on bicycle trailer

Postby mindful piano » 02 Aug 2021, 17:17

My previous gigging keyboard was a Casio that I hauled to gigs on a bicycle trailer.

I want to use the Nord Piano 4 on gigs, but I'm hesitant to put it on the trailer. Any recommendations for or against transporting it in this manner?

The Casio was inexpensive, so I didn't much care if it got damaged during transport (it never did). The heftier price tag of the Nord gives me pause, even though there's no reason for me to suspect it will fare worse than the Casio.

Thanks for any input.
Last edited by mindful piano on 02 Aug 2021, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
mindful piano

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4

Nord Piano 4 on bicycle trailer

Sponsor

Re: Nord Piano 4 on bicycle trailer

Postby be lee vit » 02 Aug 2021, 19:06

Yes! Livin' the bike trailer life...much respect! I've hauled a lot of stuff around in bike trailer (no music gear yet though) and as I'm sure you have experienced, the cargo can definitely get jostled and bumped around a bit. It seems to me that the best way to do this would be to set up a trailer to carry one of those ATA cases. They have a structure that supports itself and plenty of cushioning foam. The downside is the weight of course. With the 88 keys that you'll be pulling I think you'll find that the tow arm of the trailer will limit the placement of the keyboard such that more of it will hang out the back. This is not good because it reduces the weight on the hitch where it connects to the bike. It is possible that the tow arm will exert a lifting force on the bike...this is not safe. Research tow arm weight...you'll find a lot of stuff on cars and how it affects stability. Same ideas apply to bikes. One way around this is to use a trailer that is made with long loads in mind. I think there are some that carry surfboards and stuff like that that might work. Happy trails!
65 Wurlitzer 720B, 59-ish Hammond M3 & 50's Leslie 44W

The author be lee vit was thanked by 2 members, including:
DanielD71mindful piano
be lee vit

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby mindful piano » 03 Aug 2021, 14:18

I do have a long trailer that easily accommodates the length of the piano. It handles loads up to 300 lbs. My concern is primarily centered around the possibility of the excessive vibration affecting the piano’s action.

I know a pianist who brings his piano on flights in a hard case, and he seems to replace his keyboard frequently because of abusive handling by airport staff, causing damage to the action mechanism.

What kind of force or duration of forces would significantly affect the mechanical action? I’ve owned many keyboards, and they’ve all endured bumps and drops. I just want to help prolong the life of my newest keyboard, which I hope will be my last.
mindful piano

Postby cphollis » 03 Aug 2021, 14:47

If you use the Nord soft case (or better), I wouldn't see much reason to be concerned. Yes, it will be a bumpy ride for the NP4, but it should take it nicely in stride. Compared to your Casio, Nords are built like battle tanks.

I think of my Nords as near-indestructible, even in the face of direct assault (spilled beer, stand knocked over, etc.) I've dropped them hard enough to bend the case metal and break multiple keys and they're still fine.
I think I have gear issues ....

The author cphollis was thanked by:
mindful piano
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby be lee vit » 04 Aug 2021, 22:06

Glad to hear you have a trailer that is already long enough! I can't really answer your question about how much and how long of a force it takes to mess things up. I'm mostly coming from the place of having secured loads on trailers a lot. I think the foam on an ATA case is thicker than with the soft bags which will give you a little more cushioning. If the full length of the bag is fully supported by a fairly rigid bed in the trailer that will help. The other thing I like about the hard case is that you could strap it to the bed more securely. With a soft bag I'd be concerned about the straps or bungees pushing on the buttons or keys through the foam. Of course a lot of people haul stuff without tying it down...guess I'm a little more fussy than some in that way.
65 Wurlitzer 720B, 59-ish Hammond M3 & 50's Leslie 44W

The author be lee vit was thanked by:
mindful piano
be lee vit

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby CountFosco » 05 Aug 2021, 08:54

I agree that the Nord chassis are quite robust, but I've found the knobs quite vulnerable to direct impacts. I'd recommend a hardcase, I like my Gator TSA cases - light and sturdy. I guess it's kind of intuitively obvious, but just in case (get it?) it's not, knobs up!

The author CountFosco was thanked by:
mindful piano
CountFosco

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby mindful piano » 05 Aug 2021, 15:23

Many thanks for all the suggestions. It has helped to put my mind at ease. Tonight will be the maiden voyage. While I only have a soft case, I plan to buffer the top of the keyboard with extra towels as a little extra protection from the tie downs. Other than that, I'll focus on deliberately slow riding. Should be fun.
mindful piano

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum