All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Audio cables

Postby timkeys » 29 Jul 2021, 13:16

Hi All

What sort of cables would people recommend for Nord keyboards?
TRS or TS?

Thanks Tim
STAGE 3 HP76
timkeys

Audio cables

Sponsor

Re: Audio cables

Postby Tasten-Bert » 29 Jul 2021, 14:00

Hi Tim,

TRS cables would only make sense if the outputs were balanced which they aren‘t. So TS would be alright.

Cheers from windy Germany
Last edited by Tasten-Bert on 29 Jul 2021, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20

The author Tasten-Bert was thanked by:
timkeys
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby analogika » 29 Jul 2021, 20:19

Both will work the same, though. So you can use TRS just fine; they just won't offer any benefit over TS.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio

The author analogika was thanked by:
timkeys
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby timkeys » 30 Jul 2021, 00:21

STAGE 3 HP76
timkeys

Postby wtibbit » 02 Aug 2021, 16:07

I use a stereo amplifier on stage so my cables must be stereo. Set up and tear down time is an issue for a busy gigging musician and I like to reduce cable clutter on the stage. I've found a way to have a single cable, operating in stereo, to connect my Nord to its stage amp, with the right length cable for all stages. I'm using a combination of ¼" to XLR breakout adapters and an XLR microphone cable (or two, if my amp is very far from the keyboards) to do this. I built the breakout adapters myself - it was just a simple soldering job. One of the breakout adapters has a male XLR connector and two ¼" TS male connectors with pin 1 of the XLR connected to the tip of one TS, pin 2 connected to the tip of the other TS and pin 3 connected to both TS connectors' sleeves. The other breakout adapter is identical except it uses a female XLR connector. This solution has worked extremely well for years. I keep a couple of various length mic cables in my kit and can quickly change the length of the cable rig to fit my need for an particular stage. Because the mic cable's conductors are not individually shielded, I initially had some concern about crosstalk between the left and right channels; however, I found the amount of signal leaking between the two channels is almost too low to hear and has not noticeable effect on the sound.
Last edited by wtibbit on 02 Aug 2021, 16:13, edited 2 times in total.
wtibbit
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Postby analogika » 03 Aug 2021, 00:00

That’s a nifty trick for lengths of stereo line!

I’ve pretty much never needed more than the six feet of stereo 1/4” Klotz cables I have in the softbag, though — they generally only need to reach the floor and plug into the DI boxes. Everything from there on out is the sound guy’s responsibility. :-)
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Return to Accessories and Amplification