Wireless MIDI Device that works with NS3

All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.
onzki

Wireless MIDI Device that works with NS3

Post by onzki »

Hi! Anybody have successfully used wireless MIDI device during live performance? I already have a wired solution that works but anxious to use a bluetooth one thinking it will suddenly get disconnected middle of performance. I’m using it to control Mainstage app.
So far here’s what’s popular in the market today. I appreciate your input. Thanks!

Yamaha MD-BT01
Roland WM-1
CME WIDI Master
CME WIDI UHost
Xvive MD1

FYI, those Chinese made copy of Yamaha (comes in various name, mine is Vangoa from AliExpress)- Doesn’t work with Nord Stage 3, because Nord is not powering it up. But it worked with my other controller device.

Thanks!
Last edited by onzki on 25 Jul 2021, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.
cookie
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Re: Wireless MIDI Device that works with NS3

Post by cookie »

I've tested successfully the WIDI Master from CME on both my Stage 3 and Stage 2.

Using GarageBand and the MiniMoog app on the ipad : sending and receiving.
Also working on an Android phone : running "MIDI+BTLE" in the background and then using "MIDI Controller" so I can send samples mapped on notes in a Stage 3 from the mobile phone.

Fred
cgrafx
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by cgrafx »

I would not rely on anything Bluetooth for critical application use, its simply not designed for that type of application. There are any number of wireless Midi solutions that don't utilize bluetooth as the transport mechanism. Or just stick to wired connections.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by maxpiano »

cgrafx wrote:I would not rely on anything Bluetooth for critical application use, its simply not designed for that type of application. There are any number of wireless Midi solutions that don't utilize bluetooth as the transport mechanism. Or just stick to wired connections.
+1 with a strong preference for the latter, in general MIDI BT is OK for studio or reharsal or just for "non critical" live usage (i.e. cases where you can accept some risk of latency and/or temporary disconnection) and in all cases it is best to keep the two connected BT devices (e.g. keyboard and computer/tablet) as close as possible, regardless the 10m official max range.
Last edited by maxpiano on 26 Jul 2021, 08:06, edited 1 time in total.
cookie
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by cookie »

I forgot to mention I use MIDI X8 devices for many years now. On live show without any stress :)
I soldered to PCB of the X8 transmitter directly inside my keytar and connect the X8 receiver to the Stage 3.

As this is WIFI, the latency is almost unperceptible but most important is the amazing range (30-40m) it transmits without any issues.

At that time, I also tried many other equivalent to the X8 (MidAir for i.e.), and those prove not be as reliable as the CME product (hanging notes, losing connectivity even at short distance).

Fred
Last edited by cookie on 26 Jul 2021, 09:54, edited 1 time in total.
FatPapa
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by FatPapa »

I use the Yamaha MD-BT01 with my Stage 3, ForScore and midi apps on iPad Pro. Works perfectly.