General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

NS3 Volume control question for Nord newbie

Postby Badplaya » 26 Jul 2021, 21:21

Hi everyone! I've had my NS3 88 for just a few weeks now and I really love love love it!!! It's pretty much a perfect compliment to my other main board. So I have one question. I am using the Yamaha FC7 to control main volume. Plugged in to the control/swell input. When I fade/ decrease the volume it is very smooth down to about the last 10% of volume and then cuts off very immediately. Is this normal for the Nord and this pedal combo? Or am I doing something wrong? I could I guess assign morph to the pedal for volume but that would seem a waste of morph ability. I do have the volume+swell selected but I tried it with and without and that didn't make any difference. Any help or suggestions are welcomed. Thank you in advance!!!
Badplaya
Badplaya

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

NS3 Volume control question for Nord newbie

Sponsor

Re: NS3 Volume control question for Nord newbie

Postby maxpiano » 26 Jul 2021, 21:43

Hi and welcome to NUF!
Have you selected the Fc7 as Ctrl and/or Swell Pedal Type in the NS3 System Menu and checked the value swing from that menu?
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby Badplaya » 27 Jul 2021, 02:20

Thank you Maxpiano! I verified settings and everything was correct. It actually seems to be working nicely now. I’m not sure what changed but hey… I’ll take it!!!
Badplaya
Badplaya

Postby Schorsch » 27 Jul 2021, 10:22

Hi,

when I read this thread I was thinking of a kind of "wrong initialization" effect which might had occured - have you plugged in the pedal when the Stage 3 was switched on, and did the problem disappear after you had probably switched off the Stage 3 and switched on again while the pedal remained connected?
Last edited by Schorsch on 27 Jul 2021, 11:35, edited 6 times in total.
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Badplaya » 27 Jul 2021, 16:46

Hi Schorsch!

I normally have everything plugged in before turning on my boards because of that reason. However I had just set up again after my first practice with it and very well could have switched things around without thinking to turn off the board first. So yes you’re correct that might have been the case!!! I’ve done dummer things before…
Badplaya
Badplaya

Postby Kaffimusic » 29 Jul 2021, 13:35

Long time ago I used a Yamaha swell pedal as well. I do not know whether it´s the same, but most likely yes (the name rings a bell). Later this pedal was a victim of a divorce, so it is lost, can´t try it. I experienced the same, not with a Nord, it was something else. It might be the pedal that works this way. Did you check it with your other keyboard - is it different there?
The Nord midi functionallity is not very sophisticated, it should simply react on the CC values that the pedal generates in the instrument. It´s possible that a non linear curve is done on purpose for that pedal.
Bragging with gear.
Kurzweil PC361, PC3k6, PC4-7, K2, Yam Motif7+ES6, SY77, MM6, DX7 II, ProphetREV2, Polybrute, Roland V-Synth, Waldorf Q, Bgr.Model D, Novation Ultranova, 2xNova Desktop, Mininova, Modal Argon8, UnoSynthPro, Dbox Nymphes, Akai MPC One
Kaffimusic

Postby Badplaya » 29 Jul 2021, 15:22

Thanks Kaffimusic… I’ve used that pedal on my Korg and my Hammond without any problem. From what I can tell it’s been behaving now for several days so I’m gaining confidence in it. Time will tell I suppose!
Badplaya
Badplaya

Return to Nord Stage Forum