This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

CV signals coming from passive volume pedals...

Postby ColemanBerg » 19 Jul 2021, 05:59

I route my organ audio through its own output into a volume pedal, usually a passive one. Most of the time this works fine, but once in awhile the pedal position will start to effect the volumes of the other outputs. Is this possibly a coicidentally conjured control voltage signal somehow crawling up the instrument cable, back into the output, and translating (oddly, since these keyboards aren't built to utilize external CV modulation, are they?) into a CV volume message? The effect is usually truncated to a somewhat tolerable but non-zero-value minimum volume, but sometimes the volume change is almost as pronounced as the audio that is actually being routed through the pedal. Crazy, huh? I've owned four Nords (three Stages and an Electro) and this has happened with all of them on occasion. Using an active pedal eliminates the problem, but I haven't found any active ones with a deep enough throw. Anyone else dealing with this? Has anyone found a solution that still lets them use a passive pedal?
ColemanBerg

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage EX

CV signals coming from passive volume pedals...

Sponsor

Re: CV signals coming from passive volume pedals...

Postby cgrafx » 19 Jul 2021, 07:14

The short answer is no. 1st there are no control voltage inputs on the nord instruments you've mentioned, so there is literally no mechanism in the Nord to modify the volume by CV. 2nd a passive device is just that passive. It can't induce voltages in anything (and again, even if it could there is no circuit in the nord to be affected by a control voltage).

Only two possible logical answers.

1. Your Nord has an intermittent problem affecting gain (this would happen wether you have the pedal connected or not)
2. Something else in your signal chain is effecting the volume level.

Since you've indicated that this doesn't happen with active pedals, than something down chain after the pedal is causing your problem.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Return to General Nord Forum