The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum

Transmitting upper, lower, bass pedal MIDI to DAW

Postby coolbreeze » 17 Jul 2021, 18:54

I have a Nord C2D with a bass pedal board. I want to send what I'm playing to my DAW via midi. I am about to go purchase the necessary cables but need a better understanding of how this works.

There is a midi-in and midi-out on the back panel of the C2D, a bass pedal midi, and a USB. From reading the user guide, The USB is not for midi transmission but for upgrading the operating system of the C2D, correct?

Are the midi-in and midi-out on the back of the C2D the only connections I need from the C2D to my MOTU midi interface? In other words, the bass pedal board will transmit via the midi-in and midi-out along with the upper and lower keyboard?

Or does the bass pedal board need a separate midi connection to my MOTU midi interface?

Thanks to anyone who can answer these questions quickly as I need to get this set up immediately for a recording session.
coolbreeze

Transmitting upper, lower, bass pedal MIDI to DAW

Sponsor

Re: Transmitting upper, lower, bass pedal MIDI to DAW

Postby maxpiano » 17 Jul 2021, 19:06

Hi,

yes MIDI IN and OUT are the only connections you need, of course each part (U/L/P) and the pedalboard transmit on a different MIDI Channel (default is U=1, L=2, P=3, see manual System Menu chapter, MIDI settings are on page 20) so on the DAW you will have to set up a MIDI Track for each (if you want to keep them separate). Take also into account that you may need to set Local Off, depending on how your DAW is configured (i.e. if it sends MIDI data back to the C2D or not)

Schermata 2021-07-17 alle 19.03.22.png
Schermata 2021-07-17 alle 19.03.22.png (94.88 KiB) Viewed 1611 times

You can also do a simple test, to verify everything is OK: connect the C2D MIDI OUT to your Motu MIDI IN then, using a MIDI Monitor (the DAW's own or "MidiOX" on Windows or "snoize Midi Monitor" on Mac OS), you should see note data flowing when you play either one of the manuals or the pedalboard.
Last edited by maxpiano on 17 Jul 2021, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: Transmitting upper, lower, bass pedal MIDI to DAW

Postby coolbreeze » 17 Jul 2021, 19:24

THANKS!!!!!! This is a tremendous help!!!! I'm off to Guitar Center and grab some midi cables. The midi channel information is exactly what I needed. Also, I appreciate the simple test suggestion. You have saved me some valuable time.
Last edited by coolbreeze on 17 Jul 2021, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
coolbreeze

Return to Nord C1 / C2 / C2D Organ Forum