Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

Re: Anyone also disappointed by the W2?

Postby DJKeys » 14 Jul 2021, 19:42

The architecture of the NW2 is different. All layers can produce sound from all of the "engines". Sustain is global. However, as workaround, you can turn on keyboard hold for the piano sound, and disable it for the trumpet sound layer. You could also just adjust the release of the piano sound to simulate a sustain pedal.

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Sponsor

Postby betroi » 15 Jul 2021, 00:45

thank you for your answer, but in fact it is certainly a forgetting intentionally or not on the part of Nord, and it is really lacking for the live game. I don't know how to get them back the information, because it is a feature that could be easily corrected and I must not be the only one to find it a shame especially since, moreover, the NW2 is a great machine.
betroi

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Postby DJKeys » 15 Jul 2021, 02:03

No, I have to disagree here.. It is a design decision, in my opinion. It is a completely different instrument than the Piano or Stage series, and you can work around it with the hold function.

-dj
Last edited by DJKeys on 15 Jul 2021, 02:40, edited 1 time in total.

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Postby e8ndave » 15 Jul 2021, 23:45

I had mine for 6 months and sold it. Just never connected with it and couldn't get it to do what my Stage 3 could already do for me. So my A1 returns as the compliment to my Stage 3.
-Dave
[Nord Stage 3] [Nord Lead A1] [Novation Peak 8] [Deluge] [Cobalt8M] [Base Station II] [PolyBrute] [Subsequent 37]
e8ndave

Postby MarkJames » 05 Aug 2021, 18:13

I was able to get a Wave 2 brand new for $2100+tax w/free shipping. That's about the price they're going for used on Reverb (some poor soul is selling his for $2K with a lot of cosmetic damage.)

I had bought an Argon8X as my top board, and it's good, but as it's within the return window I decided to return it, and combined with some gift cards I had on hand just ordered a Wave 2.

So now I'll have a 3 Nord stack - Piano 4, Stage 3 Compact and Wave 2. I was also going to go with other rack modules but think I can do everything I possibly need with these 3, and maybe for a few uses just sample from the rack and then play back on one of these. For example, my ESQ-M - I think most of what I did with it can be replaced on the Wave in some form.

I listened to a lot of demos and read a lot of comments (including this whole thread) and I can see in some cases why people aren't thrilled by the W2, or that it does what the Stage 3 already does with the A1 engine. For my use case I'm looking at doing covers live as well as general pads which I think the W2 will work well for.

As to the form factor, as I already have a TP/8 keyboard I love on the S3C having the same in 61-key format on top makes sense. If I need to go to a 2 keyboard stack I can keep the Piano 4 at home.
Nord Piano 4
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Nord Wave 2
Sequential Prophet Rev 2
Mac Mini rack w/Gig Performer
Roland Integra-7
Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Behringer XR-18
MioXL
MarkJames

Postby zahush76 » 07 Aug 2021, 06:03

tsss27 wrote:
andy_felon wrote:Why did you decide that cobalt has more options? Cobalt has 8 voice polyphony, weaker filter, two osc, no samples, no morphing, etc.

Cobalt has 3 envelopes, 3 LFO's, .

The Wave 2 also has 3 envelopes.
As for lfos, it only has one main lfo per layer but it has other "hidden" lfos.
For example the vibrato which has a dedicated lfo where you can set depth and speed. Or the lfo in the fx section (tremolo, pan, phaser, chorus etc).
Also, the gate sequencer, when controlled with its own envelope (a 4th envelope on the wave), in conjunction with the pattern editor - gives you a custom volume modulator that runs in cycles

The author zahush76 was thanked by:
taxman
zahush76

Postby MarkJames » 09 Aug 2021, 02:12

First impressions after FedEx dropped off a new Wave 2 today.

#1 task…upgrade OS from 1.12. I wonder if it’s been sitting in a warehouse for a while.

As I get used to Nord keyboards I’m starting to get the hang of the panel and control scheme so over time it’ll even get easier. The layout is logical.

Love the keybed and the build quality.

Played through most of the presets as an initial step and it’s solid. A lot of goodness here and I think it will work well as a general purpose all-around synth and I will definitely de-rack my ESQ-M. I’m hearing a lot of similar sounds except on steroids and with effects.

But - my impression is that it’s a jack of all trades and master of none without a specific personality. But for what I want (a great performance board to do cover songs well) it seems perfect at first listen.
Nord Piano 4
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Nord Wave 2
Sequential Prophet Rev 2
Roland Integra-7
Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Behringer XR-18
MioXL
MarkJames

Postby MarkJames » 07 May 2022, 01:47

Restarting this thread - went to my local Guitar Center which had a used Prophet X on display. Was curious as it’s been compared to the NW2.

I prefer the NW2 keybed, and although the PX seemed solid and had some great sounds it wasn’t worth the extra price over the Nord in my opinion.

Anyone else test both out?
Nord Piano 4
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Nord Wave 2
Sequential Prophet Rev 2
Roland Integra-7
Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Behringer XR-18
MioXL
MarkJames

Postby Rcmusic » 07 May 2022, 17:14

MarkJames wrote:Restarting this thread - went to my local Guitar Center which had a used Prophet X on display. Was curious as it’s been compared to the NW2.

I prefer the NW2 keybed, and although the PX seemed solid and had some great sounds it wasn’t worth the extra price over the Nord in my opinion.

I have both. PX just arrived for an acceptable price. I really like the NW2 (was a NW owner years ago) despite some strange decision about midi (multitimbrality), and Program change being too slow (like NL4, really a Nord thing) and a bad silkscreen (should receive stickers soon), keyboard touch is great to my taste, and the synth is so easy to use, already programmed a lot of patches. PX has quirks too (my unit came with a defective screen, a permanent white line on it but readable, but support is excellent for this kind of hardware failure, and i should receive a new screen soon, and i may already have to change the CR2032). Programming on the PX as i'm writing and getting very good results, but concerning VA osc, for now, i prefer NW2 sound over PX. PX kb is nice too, almost exactly the same as my old NI S49 mk1, just a little more heavy (very subtle).

The author Rcmusic was thanked by 2 members, including:
MarkJamesElias
Rcmusic

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 4

Postby MarkJames » 07 May 2022, 21:24

Rcmusic wrote:
MarkJames wrote:Restarting this thread - went to my local Guitar Center which had a used Prophet X on display. Was curious as it’s been compared to the NW2.

I have both. PX just arrived for an acceptable price. I really like the NW2 (was a NW owner years ago) despite some strange decision about midi (multitimbrality), and Program change being too slow (like NL4, really a Nord thing) and a bad silkscreen (should receive stickers soon), keyboard touch is great to my taste, and the synth is so easy to use, already programmed a lot of patches. PX has quirks too (my unit came with a defective screen, a permanent white line on it but readable, but support is excellent for this kind of hardware failure, and i should receive a new screen soon, and i may already have to change the CR2032). Programming on the PX as i'm writing and getting very good results, but concerning VA osc, for now, i prefer NW2 sound over PX. PX kb is nice too, almost exactly the same as my old NI S49 mk1, just a little more heavy (very subtle).

I’ve heard mixed results about the 8Dio sample library. Any thoughts there? If I could get the PX for $2K I’d consider it as an addition to my gear, but I’m probably just feeding my GAS over a real need.
Nord Piano 4
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Nord Wave 2
Sequential Prophet Rev 2
Roland Integra-7
Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Behringer XR-18
MioXL
MarkJames