General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: Nord stage 3 wrong Piano tune

Postby Tasten-Bert » 08 Jul 2021, 10:36

Has it been asked yet whether you are on the latest Operating System OS? It‘s indicated on the display while starting (booting) your nord and should be version 2.54.
Cheers
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Sponsor

Postby Jan Fabry » 09 Jul 2021, 13:17

Hi,
I have just used the default Grand Piano Program (I did not change it from the beginning) and tried all Piano Selections. The problem seems to be only in piano samples in sets Grand and Upright, while Electric etc. are OK...
And what more I analyzed...the tune differences vary according to the tone I play, e.g. difference for C2 is not the same as for C4... I thought about the restore of piano samples from the Nord web site... But I'm afraid it will affect other programs I use Grand Piano in... I have no experience in this area... Can you give me some advice on how to do this safely? I have approcimately 50 songs in programms where I use the piano... (and other instruuments simultaneously).
Thanks to all of you are trying to help me...
Jan
Jan Fabry

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Jan Fabry » 09 Jul 2021, 13:19

The OS version is 2.10
Jan Fabry

Postby WannitBBBad » 09 Jul 2021, 14:00

Jan Fabry wrote:Hi,
I have just used the default Grand Piano Program (I did not change it from the beginning) and tried all Piano Selections. The problem seems to be only in piano samples in sets Grand and Upright, while Electric etc. are OK...
And what more I analyzed...the tune differences vary according to the tone I play, e.g. difference for C2 is not the same as for C4... I thought about the restore of piano samples from the Nord web site... But I'm afraid it will affect other programs I use Grand Piano in... I have no experience in this area... Can you give me some advice on how to do this safely? I have approcimately 50 songs in programms where I use the piano... (and other instruuments simultaneously).
Jan

Hello, I would first suggest loading the latest OS to see if that addresses the problem, and if not, in Nord Sound Manager you can do a substitution where a piano on your Stage 3 can be replaced by one you've saved from the Nord site. As part of the substitution, Nord Sound Manager will update all programs that used the old piano to use the one you substituted. The Nord Sound Manager manual ( https://www.nordkeyboards.com/downloads ... nd-manager ) on page 3 covers this well. I would suggest trying this with one piano, substituting the XL version for the L version (you can always reload the XL version), as I and quite a few others do that to free up piano sample memory to load more pianos. My post covers that at nord-stage-3-programs-ns3p-ns3pb-files-f32/my-pianos-t19422.html?hilit=pianos%20program%20list#p130083 . Good luck to you.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby maxpiano » 09 Jul 2021, 16:54

Jan Fabry wrote:Hi,
Jan

Well you should/can do a full backup (using Nord Sound Manager) of your currennt NS3 situation, so that you can always Restore it in case.

The suggestion given by some who already replied to you was to use the "Piano INIT" function (see your NS3 manual) to start from scratch, not to just change the piano in the existing program (btw there is no "default Grand Piano Program" on the NS, all Programs are the same level, just "user programs", with their specific settings which can be changed)
Last edited by maxpiano on 09 Jul 2021, 16:56, edited 2 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby Jan Fabry » 14 Jul 2021, 06:54

WannitBBBad wrote:Hello, I would first suggest loading the latest OS to see if that addresses the problem, and if not, in Nord Sound Manager you can do a substitution where a piano on your Stage 3 can be replaced by one you've saved from the Nord site. As part of the substitution, Nord Sound Manager will update all programs that used the old piano to use the one you substituted. The Nord Sound Manager manual ( https://www.nordkeyboards.com/downloads ... nd-manager ) on page 3 covers this well. I would suggest trying this with one piano, substituting the XL version for the L version (you can always reload the XL version), as I and quite a few others do that to free up piano sample memory to load more pianos. My post covers that at nord-stage-3-programs-ns3p-ns3pb-files-f32/my-pianos-t19422.html?hilit=pianos%20program%20list#p130083 . Good luck to you.

Thanks for the advice. I have a few more questions:
1. If I replace the OS with the latest version, will it affect my programs in any way?
2. Did you mean by SUBSTIITUTION to replace the *.npno or *.nsmp file?
3. If I do the substitution, will it affect the piano settings in my programs (reverb, compressor,...)?
Thank you very much
Jan
Jan Fabry

Postby Jan Fabry » 14 Jul 2021, 07:13

maxpiano wrote:Well you should/can do a full backup (using Nord Sound Manager) of your currennt NS3 situation, so that you can always Restore it in case.

The suggestion given by some who already replied to you was to use the "Piano INIT" function (see your NS3 manual) to start from scratch, not to just change the piano in the existing program (btw there is no "default Grand Piano Program" on the NS, all Programs are the same level, just "user programs", with their specific settings which can be changed)

Hi,
Thank you very much for your answer...
If I understand correctly, I click on SHIFT+PROG INIT and select PIANO. If this is the way you recommend, I tried it and the problem persists even in this setting.
Jan
Jan Fabry

Postby Tasten-Bert » 14 Jul 2021, 08:43

Jan Fabry wrote:Thanks for the advice. I have a few more questions:
1. If I replace the OS with the latest version, will it affect my programs in any way?
3. If I do the substitution, will it affect the piano settings in my programs (reverb, compressor,...)?
Thank you very much
Jan

1. No
2. doesn‘t matter, you can replace both formats, it only affects the one file with the identical name.
3. No, everything remains as it is

Cheers from Germany
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby WannitBBBad » 14 Jul 2021, 12:10

Tasten-Bert wrote:
Jan Fabry wrote:Thanks for the advice. I have a few more questions:
Thank you very much
Jan

1. No
2. doesn‘t matter, you can replace both formats, it only affects the one file with the identical name.
3. No, everything remains as it is

Cheers from Germany

As noted for #2, Substitutions can be performed for *.npno and *.nsmp3 files, however in this case my suggestion is to replace one of your problematic pianos (*.npno file) with one from the Nord site. Take care
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Previous

Return to Nord Stage Forum