Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Piano 5 sounds in Piano 4?

Postby Brannonmusic » 03 Jul 2021, 20:21

Hello. I'm a newbie, both to the forum and to Nord keyboards. Over the past month I've purchased two Nord keyboards (both used): an Electro 6D 73, and a Piano 4. Even though I'm a bit overwhelmed with the learning curve, I'm thrilled with both of them, and I look forward to the discovery. One thing, though: I noticed that the Sample Library of the Piano 4 and Electro 6 is exactly the same. I don't have any experience adding sounds from the Sound Manager, but it seems pretty straightforward. So I'm thinking I'd like to leave the Electro 6 as-is, but change the Piano 4, to remove the redundancies. So my question is: can I remove the contents of the existing Piano 4 Sample Library, and replace it with the Sample Library from the Piano 5? Thank you.
Brannonmusic

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 4

Piano 5 sounds in Piano 4?

Sponsor

Re: Piano 5 sounds in Piano 4?

Postby Schorsch » 03 Jul 2021, 23:09

Hi,

Piano 5 uses samples in the new .nsmp4 format, Piano 4 is supposed to support the new format as well but the updated OS was not yet released as far as I am aware
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..

The author Schorsch was thanked by:
Brannonmusic
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Brannonmusic » 04 Jul 2021, 03:36

Good info - thank you! So I guess I’ll need to wait for the updated OS. Would there be any other issues besides that? Thanks again.
Brannonmusic

Postby Schorsch » 04 Jul 2021, 11:21

The only issue I could think of is the sample memory. The Piano 5 has twice the amount of memory available for samples than the Piano 4, so you might not be able to load the full set of samples from Piano 5 into the Piano 4.
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..

The author Schorsch was thanked by:
Brannonmusic
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Brannonmusic » 04 Jul 2021, 14:00

Good point - I hadn’t considered that. Thanks for the info!
Brannonmusic

Postby Tasten-Bert » 04 Jul 2021, 16:47

Hi brannonmusic

and first of all a very warm welcome to this wonderful forum of nord enthusiasts. You seem to be one of the lucky ones with more than one of the red beasts! Great, I envy you.

As far as the nord library is concerned it has always been good practice of the manufacturer that all new generation boards do have access to all piano and other sample files. Therefore it may easily happen that you find identical sounds on both your NE6 and NP4. So your idea of „cleaning“ the memory by doublettes is quite good. You can make the choice on the base of the keybed, i. e. organ, e-pianos and synths on your semiweighted NE6 and acoustic pianos on your NP4 to get best touch feel. If this ain‘t enough you could furthermore link the boards via MIDI cables to get crosswise access to all!

Have fun, cheers from Germany
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20

The author Tasten-Bert was thanked by:
Brannonmusic
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby cphollis » 04 Jul 2021, 17:51

Brannonmusic wrote:Hello. I'm a newbie, both to the forum and to Nord keyboards. Over the past month I've purchased two Nord keyboards (both used): an Electro 6D 73, and a Piano 4. Even though I'm a bit overwhelmed with the learning curve, I'm thrilled with both of them, and I look forward to the discovery. One thing, though: I noticed that the Sample Library of the Piano 4 and Electro 6 is exactly the same. I don't have any experience adding sounds from the Sound Manager, but it seems pretty straightforward. So I'm thinking I'd like to leave the Electro 6 as-is, but change the Piano 4, to remove the redundancies. So my question is: can I remove the contents of the existing Piano 4 Sample Library, and replace it with the Sample Library from the Piano 5? Thank you.

Good choices. As above, we'll likely see a new OS for Piano 4 and Electro 6 before long that will have support for the newer samples. Nord does a good job of making things idiot-proof, so feel free to put new stuff on. One decision I had to make was whether or not to try and hang on to all the original programs and the samples they use. Since one can restore them all in an afternoon, I decided to "build my own" program list using the samples I liked. I did spend some time with the factory programs to figure out what they were doing.

Keep in mind, the only reason the Electro 6 exists is to make you want a Stage 3 Compact.
I think I have gear issues ....

The author cphollis was thanked by:
Brannonmusic
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby Brannonmusic » 05 Jul 2021, 03:34

Thanks cphollis. And yes, I’m afraid I can already tell that I’ll be drooling over Nord’s latest and greatest. If only my talent level could justify it...
Brannonmusic

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum