All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Secondary piano keyboard for NS3C

Postby Jasonpank » 24 Oct 2020, 14:53

Hi all,

I have a Nord Stage 3 Compact. I also have a Korg SP-250 that I thought I could use as a secondary keyboard using the Nord Piano sounds from the NS3C and get better Piano feel and sound with the weighted keys from the Korg. As it turns out the Nord has a better range of sound through the keystroke (there must be a term fo this). That is, when the Korg is set up as a secondary KB, the Korg keys are missing the bottom half of the sound from the NS3C when I press a key on the Korg with vigour. So now I am thinking I need a better Piano style controller in order to play the Piano sounds from the NS3C.

Any suggestions or experience with this issue?
Jasonpank

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Secondary piano keyboard for NS3C

Sponsor

Re: Secondary piano keyboard for NS3C

Postby FZiegler » 24 Oct 2020, 17:38

You are probably talking about velocity: The force you hit the keys and/or the speed the keys are going down (most keyboards are measuring time, not pressure). In simple MIDI settings, there are 127 different values for this. The lowest ones typically aren't played with a piano sound like on a veritable grand that doesn't sound either if you are veeery slow with pressing the key (I think the Stage reacts the same). Most keyboards get the highest values - and often you can select different velocity curves which make you reach the higher values more or less easily. Maybe the SP250 has that, too. Check this before giving it away - it's not a bad keyboard in terms of key sensitivity.

Of course, you could get a new Nord Piano or Grand that has velocity curves which match well with the sound engine of the NS3C. But that would be a higher priced solution - and only the Grand would suffice me in my expectations towards a fully weighted keybed. There are different 88-keys hammer action master keyboards - and some should be well adjustable to what you expect. I'm almost happy with my old Yamaha CP-33, but there should be better out there - depending on how many kilos you want to carry about.

I just drop a few names not knowing how good they match and what the build quality is: Roland A-88 MK-II (16 kg), Studiologic SL-88 Grand/Studio (21/14 kg), Akai Professional MPK Road 88 (28 kg with case), Kawai VPC-1 (30 kg), Kawai MP-7SE (23 kg), Lachnit MK-23 (22 kg), Roland FP-30 (14 kg), Doepfer LMK-2+ (22 kg with case) and so on. In my eyes, a NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 II isn't made for stage use, only for studio.

There are solutions between 400 and 4000 EUR.
Last edited by FZiegler on 24 Oct 2020, 20:30, edited 5 times in total.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars

The author FZiegler was thanked by:
Jasonpank
FZiegler
Donator

Postby cphollis » 24 Oct 2020, 18:05

In the money-no-object category, I use a Nord Piano 4 as my bottom weighted controller for my NS3C. I can't imagine a better pairing, albeit pricey. It's almost like they were designed by the same company, or something ...

I have had less success with other brands and models -- they work OK, but it's always a compromise in terms of feel, velocity mapping, etc. So I decided not to make compromises. Can you get something almost as good for less? I'm sure that's possible, but ...

A couple of advantages? The NP4 also serves as a "spare" keyboard that can get me through a gig if the NS3C has issues [never happened, BTW]. The two of them look great together, especially on a red Stay keyboard stand. And for acoustic-type piano gigs, I just bring the NP4 and put it on a short stand.

I'm convinced using the NS3C as a master keyboard is a great way to go. One control surface, one set list, one set of outputs, one integrated effects chain, etc. etc. Love it.
I think I have gear issues ....

The author cphollis was thanked by:
Jasonpank
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby FZiegler » 24 Oct 2020, 18:29

One more thing: Maybe, you should have a look after keyboards with 3 sensors per key - which tend to give better repetition results.

The Nord Piano 4 has it, as far as I know.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars

Jasonpank
FZiegler
Donator

Postby FZiegler » 25 Jan 2021, 22:34

As my old stage piano has a good key action and is robust, I would have needed to pay quite an amount of money to get a better solution. I got myself a MIDIsolutions Velocity Converter instead for about 140 EUR and now can adjust the velocity curve of the external hammer action keyboard to the NS3C sound which was really necessary.

The low budget solution with a little black box that's worth its money. I want this solution to last unto my next master keyboard with MIDI 2.0 features (in 3 years?).

See post138181.html#p138181

Jasonpank
FZiegler
Donator

Postby Mr_-G- » 26 Jan 2021, 13:57

The MIDI 2.0 protocol is said to be backward compatible with MIDI 1.0, so you box will probably still do its job with MIDI 2.0.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby FZiegler » 26 Jan 2021, 14:43

Mr_-G-, thanks for that! We will see.

I thought to have understood: MIDI 2.0 will need bidirectional communication - if this isn't possible, the chain will fall back to the older MIDI standard. But I don't worry about that - whenever I get my next master keyboard and my next Nord featuring MIDI 2.0 both, I will be able to set my favorite velocity curve inside one of them. But certainly not within the next 2 or 3 years.

Then, I won't need the velocity converter any more: In any case it only works with 5V power via MIDI-out, so it's nothing for newer boards (3.3 V). But MIDIsolutions seem to work on another version with multi power capability.

In any case, that MIDI 2.0 thing was just another remark.
FZiegler
Donator

Postby Mr_-G- » 26 Jan 2021, 15:29

Thanks. As I understand it is the protocol (rather than the topology) where MIDI 1.0 bytes are still recognised (but obviously the new MIDI 2.0 info will not be recognised by MIDI 1.0 device).
It is most likely that bidirectional communication will be needed between MIDI 2.0 devices but surely 'one way' has to be supported too for it to be compatible with MIDI 1.0.
I also understood that there will be a variety of ways (and connectors) to link those new devices (not just 5pin DIN and USB).
Interesting development for sure, but at the moment is more of a "watch this space" kind of thing for me.
Get the pockets ready to upgrade sequencing software, too.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby Jasonpank » 03 Jul 2021, 16:10

Update - purchased The MIDI solutions Velocity Converter. I am using curve/program 29 at the moment - seems good to me. Any curve preferences out there? I suppose it really depends on your secondary keyboard action from the factory. I am using the converter with a Kong SP-250 and my NSC. Thanks for all the input everyone.
Jasonpank

Postby cphollis » 03 Jul 2021, 20:34

Glad it worked out. There are software solutions as well if you've already got one in your rig.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Return to Accessories and Amplification