General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Volume control of Ipad-apps using extern section

Postby rudiratlos » 30 Jun 2021, 12:36

:?: After solving the problems with Forscore with the help of this wonderful forum, I hope that someone can help me this time as well.

In the meantime I tried to get familiar with the external section of the Nordstage 3 and am now trying to integrate and control various Ipad apps such as Pure Synth, Isymphonic, Sample Tank, etc.

It is very important for me that I can control the volume of the apps using the Value / Volume Knob of the external section of the NS3.

This also works with the apps Sampletank, Isymphonic, Ravenscroft 275, Sensual Sax, Garageband,
Unfortunately not with the following apps: Audio Kit Synth One, Digital 1, FM Player 2 and especially not with the “Pure Synth” app. This means that the volume of the latter apps cannot be changed with the Value / Volume Knob of the external section of the NS3.

The midi communication between stage and pure synth seems to work in principle, because program change commands for the app work without problem.

Does anyone know a solution for the volume control? In the Midi settings (8/10) on the stage, CC Number 2 and CC Value 0 are set. Do I have to change something here?

I have already contacted Pure Synth support, but unfortunately the answer (to be read below) did not help me either.

"Please go to the mixer and MIDI learn the volume knob on the too right of the mixer. You can make this global so that it always remembers.
On just about every synth on the market, you can tap and hold or right click on any knob or slider and choose midi learn. Then you move a fader and it will learn the assignment. "

Perhaps one of you has a further idea. Or don’t these apps allow any external control of the volume by Nordstage. Then I could spare wasting my time.
Attachments
settings Pure synth.jpg
settings Pure synth.jpg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 1712 times
Mixer Pure synth.jpg
Mixer Pure synth.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 1712 times
rudiratlos
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Volume control of Ipad-apps using extern section

Sponsor

Re: Volume control of Ipad-apps using extern section

Postby neomad » 01 Jul 2021, 16:51

The explanation given by puresynth fellas is quite clear, but I would use the master volume control knob and not the individual oscillators. Did you try?
Current Keyboard Rig: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha Montage 7wh, Yamaha YC61, Alesis Fusion 6HD. Yamaha babygrand Piano. Extra sounds Ipad with AUM and plenty of synth apps + onsong pro
neomad

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby neomad » 01 Jul 2021, 17:08

By the way, which MSB/LSB are you using to change programs in Puresynth?
Current Keyboard Rig: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha Montage 7wh, Yamaha YC61, Alesis Fusion 6HD. Yamaha babygrand Piano. Extra sounds Ipad with AUM and plenty of synth apps + onsong pro
neomad

Postby maxpiano » 01 Jul 2021, 18:30

For Apps that also run as an AU Plugin, you can use a AU Host (AUM or Camelot Pro) to control their Volume by MIDI CC.

With regards to Pure Synth, also to me the explanation provided by the developer is pretty clear: you need to "MIDI Learn" the master volume knob (Tap+hold it then move the control sending the CC7 or in general the control/CC you want to assign to PS Master Volume)
Last edited by maxpiano on 01 Jul 2021, 18:44, edited 2 times in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
rudiratlos
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby neomad » 02 Jul 2021, 11:17

Hello, it worked for me in Puresynth, I manage to control the global volume assigning the volume control in the extern section in the NS3. Just followed the instructions given by them. In the NS3 extern section, select the 'volume' control (led will light up by the Volume label). Then hold the master volume control, midi learn (click global). Then move the knob. Et voila ! there is a red midi light by the master knob.
Last edited by neomad on 02 Jul 2021, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.

The author neomad was thanked by:
rudiratlos
neomad

Postby neomad » 02 Jul 2021, 11:52

Also worked with Audio Kit Synth One, Digital 1.

The author neomad was thanked by:
rudiratlos
neomad

Postby rudiratlos » 02 Jul 2021, 13:18

: :thanx: :thumbup: Thank you so much everybody for the friendly support; finally I got it!! And I can control volume of all my extra sound Ipad apps via nord stage; it's really magic! This forum is really amazing.
Now I have to solve the problem: How works the right program change controlling of these apps: Which MSB/LSB values are you using to change programs in Puresynth or Audiokit?
Last edited by rudiratlos on 02 Jul 2021, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.
rudiratlos
Patch Creator

Postby neomad » 02 Jul 2021, 14:46

For audiokit synths is easy: MSB1 = bank 1, MSB2 = bank 2, MSB 3, bank 3. Is in their manuals.

For Puresynth, I did not manage to change all the patches.

Please give a try and share it here for the rest of the community
Last edited by neomad on 02 Jul 2021, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.
neomad

Postby rudiratlos » 02 Jul 2021, 21:39

I contacted the support of Pure Synth (support is quick and competent). Here the answer:

MIDI CC Program Change Operation

The way our program change works is that you have the option to either Increase or decrease the patches within the bank by +/- or you can MIDI Learn your favorite Sounds. You can access the options in settings

Some Important Notes about our Program Change Implantation:

The program change is limited to the category, so at the end of a patch of a category, it will loop through the category
If you want to access specific “favorite” patches, then the Browse Learn option is the way to go. This way you can create a type of concert list or preset list to be able to pull up your favorite presets.

I prefer the second solution: I take my User Bank in Pure Synth and select several patches as favorites. Then I click the Browse Learn Option for them and give them a program number with the value knob of the extern section. Store the program and that is all.
Attachments
Image.tiff
Image.tiff (2.67 MiB) Viewed 1365 times
Last edited by rudiratlos on 02 Jul 2021, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
rudiratlos
Patch Creator

Return to Nord Stage Forum