Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

inital feedback on Nord piano 5 (with grands)

Postby OliverP » 06 Jun 2021, 12:18

Hi there,

Having bought the NP5 yesterday and played now for several hours, I'm not really sure if this was a worth buy.
I might got hyped too much...

Playing the NP4 now for 15 months with 2 favorite grands (Italian, Imperial all XL-versions) most of the time, I'm missing
the Italien most. Nord preinstalled the White &3D in XL only, the Imperial Bsd in L. But being used to the XL-Italian which is
-in my opinion- the best version of a grand for fine/detailed classical music, there's nothing comparable on the NP5.
Unfortunately it's impossible right now to download other libraries for the NP5.

Second: why is Nord still sticking to an very old USB-verions with "unbelievable" down-/upload rates?
Yesterday I had to wait 62min to backup the whole keyboard.

Oliver.
OliverP

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4

inital feedback on Nord piano 5 (with grands)

Sponsor

Re: inital feedback on Nord piano 5 (with grands)

Postby FZiegler » 06 Jun 2021, 13:00

Hi Oliver,

wow - great news! I still haven't seen a NP5 in the wild.

If you've followed the forum in the past weeks, you might have seen that some NP4 owners stated they weren't much into the NP5 - not enough new things to switch for.

If your NP5 now is backed up, you should be able to install your Italian Grand. Why shouldn't this be possible? The sample file format has changed, the piano files shouldn't! Or is the NSM incompatible to your NP5?
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby OliverP » 06 Jun 2021, 15:41

You're right, the piano sounds can be uploaded to the NP5, even if the Nord-website does not state (yet) it's possible.
Thanks for your quick help.
OliverP

Postby NoDirection » 07 Jun 2021, 07:22

OLiverP - I hope you come back with a new review when you have installed all your favourite pianos. It seems to me that your conclusion on the Nord Piano5 was a little premature...
Nord Stage 2 HA76, Nord Electro 6 HP, Yamaha Montage 6
NoDirection
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby mangepange » 08 Jun 2021, 22:07

I got my NP5 last week. This is my first Nord so I can't compare it to other/earlier Nords. My comments about some new(?) functions:

* True-Vibrato: A simple but smart function. Three different delay settings through the panel, and rate and amount with shift button. I like this function, good for many synth sounds and especially flutes and so on.
* Unison: Sounds like a too subtle chorus. Don't really get this function, but haven't tried it that much.
* Legato mono: Some samples can't be played in poly, and keep the sustain with legato. So you don't seem to be able to turn this off. A sample is mono with legato or not. Not sure if this is what is new?
* 2x Synth layers: Could not be without this one. Some sounds that I really like use both layers. Wish that you could detune the layers like you can do with the piano section function "Layer Detune".
* 2x Piano layers: A few sounds sound good with layers, not as many as with synth layers for me. Of course with split you can now do more, Maybe a more important feature for others.
* The Chorale effect on the reverb sounds good.

Very happy with my NP5! The basic sound is of course the same as NP4. But the vibrato and 2x synth layer functions is for sure something I would really miss, other functions not so much.. :thumbup:

The author mangepange was thanked by:
Projet Xion
mangepange

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Postby cphollis » 08 Jun 2021, 22:32

Thanks, mangepange, good insight. I can't argue, Nord did some nice upgrades from Piano 4 to 5. But not enough to tempt me ...
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby Projet Xion » 08 Jun 2021, 22:47

Thanks for your feedback !

I have no objective reason to upgrade from my NP4 but I suppose it worth the 500 extra euros.
Last edited by Projet Xion on 08 Jun 2021, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.
Projet Xion

Postby BlueKermit » 13 Jun 2021, 05:29

Looks like the new file format for the Piano 5 is what will be used going forward? Apparently according to the Andertons video this format is what makes the vibrato possible without the mod wheel. search YouTube for Nord Piano 5 - Their Most Powerful Digital Piano Yet?

pretty nice patches on the new Piano 5
BlueKermit

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby PianoManChuck » 29 Jun 2021, 22:45

I just reviewed the Nord Piano 5, and also compared it (side by side) with the Nord Piano 4.

Enjoy!

Watch on youtube.com
Product Reviewer
Authorized Reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, iLoud, Nord, PreSonus, Viscount
http://www.PianoManChuck.com

The author PianoManChuck was thanked by 5 members, including:
SteinwayAllanHcphollisajstanMr_-G-
PianoManChuck

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum