All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

DAW or Hardware Multitrack? (or both)

Postby Normhart » 25 Jun 2021, 05:24

I started my home multitracking with a Tascam 144 Portastudio when they first came out. It was expensive but more than worth it to me. After exploring (and using for a time) just about every DAW I could lay my hands on -both Mac and PC, I’ve come full circle and recently picked up a Tascam DP-03SD which I’m really enjoying. No more computer updating, drivers etc etc. and moving a mouse around. Yeah I know there are more features and VSTs with a computer and all and there is still a place for it in my workflow, but nothing beats the convenience and handiness of being able to just physically hit a few buttons and get something down NOW. It’s really moved me to doing a lot of recording than I’m usually inclined to do with just the DAW alone. Admittedly, there are a few shortcomings such as limitation to 16-bit/44.1 audio but for getting ideas down, it’s definitely the right tool for me.

On the computer end of things, I’m currently using UA’s Luna -mainly because my interface is from them and their Unison plug-ins are fantastic and Cubasis 3 or Auria Pro on my iPad Pro for that environment. I use an IK iRig Pro Duo I/O for an interface with that. So that’s three entire recording environments right there to choose from. I would have never imagined anything like this sitting in front of my 144 those many years ago!

I’m curious what you all here are using as your recording environment preference(s).
Normhart

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

DAW or Hardware Multitrack? (or both)

Sponsor

Re: DAW or Hardware Multitrack? (or both)

Postby baekgaard » 25 Jun 2021, 05:35

It depends...

I frequently use Cubase, Ableton, Musescore, Ardour and Audacity -- but also just a simple HW recorder (Roland HR05) or my phone with the default microphone, an external (USB) microphone or an audio interface.

Sent from my phone in brevity
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby CountFosco » 25 Jun 2021, 10:28

I was using Logic on a PC for many years - I think it was version 5.3, ancient, but one of the last versions available for PC before it became Mac exclusive. I kept an old computer running Vista then XP alive for years past its use by date just to keep using it. I switched to Ableton Live a couple of years ago, and the quantum leap in interface and capability was pretty awesome, and made me feel a bit silly about spending so any years maintaining my pre-Jurassic Logic system. I guess all the modern DAWs are pretty equivalent. As a song writer trying to explore the grey zones between acoustic and electronic worlds, I find the sound manipulation and effects capabilities built into the DAW itself one of the most important sources (along with my keyboards and virtual synths) of inspiration for the process of music creation.

The author CountFosco was thanked by:
Berretje
CountFosco

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby Normhart » 25 Jun 2021, 13:56

It’s useful to have the options when the situation calls for it, I suppose. As far as pre-Jurassic, I go back the the 80s with Jim Miller’s Personal Composer MIDI sequencer software running on an IBM PC with DOS and Roland MPU401 -how’s that for ancient? . As time went on, I moved to Cakewalk Pro then to Sonar Producer 8.
Normhart

Postby Rusty Mike » 25 Jun 2021, 16:36

Pretty much all Cubase 11 right now. The audio stuff lately has been virtual big band recordings. Members send me their audio and I've been putting the tracks together using the DAW. No outboard gear at all.

When I record myself, I'm doing track at a time into Cubase as well. I'm down to three sound generating instruments, but only two are "permanently" connected and are recorded direct. Everything else is soft instruments. For the occasional collaboration, people just send me their tracks which I directly incorporate into the DAW.

On the rare occasion that I need to record multiple simultaneous tracks, I use a Zoom R-16 and/or H-4n Pro for up to 12 live tracks. Those tracks are then put into Cubase for editing.

Bottom line is that I've shed a lot of hardware and don't have the interest/energy to move beyond my workflow. I feel more productive with this configuration. I admire people who can learn the intricacies of using dedicated hardware for music making and editing.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Current Nords: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D 73
Ownership History: Electro 2, Electro 3-73 SW, Electro 3HP, Electro 4D, Stage 2EX 76HP
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby Normhart » 26 Jun 2021, 04:55

As you said at the end, it’s really all about productivity and finding the most suitable way to get it. Looks to me like you’ve found yours. :thumbup:
Normhart

Postby DJKeys » 26 Jun 2021, 17:38

At present, I am using Studio One 5.2 on a 2019 iMac i7. I use VIs for drums and bass and record my NS3 and Wave and guitar live as audio-

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

The author DJKeys was thanked by:
Normhart