This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: looking for a new synth

Postby neolithic » 21 May 2015, 23:26

FWIW If you are on a budget, the Studiologic Sledge is very 'knobular' ;-)

I'm not blind, so I can only imagine, but something getting close to 1 knob per function is going to be easier I'm sure. The Nords are pretty good in that respect, although they do have some shifted functions, and rely on you seeing an LED indicator light for some features too (although most are pretty audible e.g. Which filter type you selected)

I agree with RedLeo completely, but there are some features you may really need if you aspire to making certain sounds. like Quai, I also have a P08, and it's great, but it only has a LPF and just the simple analog waveshapes, that's why I suggested the P12 which is more flexible but just as knobular. It also has better modulation routings, you just push the destination knob (e.g. OSC mix) so you don't depend on screen so much.
Last edited by neolithic on 21 May 2015, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
And now for something completely different...
neolithic
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Sponsor

Postby teknokasper88 » 26 May 2015, 18:34

Thanks for all replys. I was on the 4sound page in denmark to see if they have the prophet 12 or the studiologic so i can try them. But they didn't have any of the dsi synths. That's strange because i know they had it some months ago. the synths they have on there list are roland gaia, juno-gi, nord lead 4 and a1 and the virus models and the king korg. But they don't have the virus in the shops. they do have other models.
teknokasper88

Postby KulshanStudios » 25 Jun 2021, 15:05

You want a Nord Lead 3, amigo

Watch on youtube.com
KulshanStudios

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 3

Postby Kaffimusic » 25 Jun 2021, 19:49

Hello,
I find it very hard to imagine programming ANY synth without eyesight. Exept simple ones with not many paramenters, a clear layout and without any menue-diving. Mabye even without a display at all.
I remember when Steve Wonder and Ray Kurzweil were friends and finally Mr.Wonder ended up playing a K250 on stage. But there was not so much to programming or change sounds on stage, big switches and knobs and I guess he just used what was inside - mainly piano.
So I guess either you go with a complex instrument that has the type of sounds you want already inside - or can be obtained by buying third party soundsets. Or you go with a quite straight forward synth with not so much parameters but one knob one function layout. As a cheap option the Behringer Poly D comes to my mind. But its not really polyphonic, just 4 voices with just one filter or Minimoogstyle monophonic. Maybe other analog non-programmable synths or maybe one that can at least store some of your creations. I am no friend of Behringer products, but in fact I think they have some classic synth recreations in their collection that I can imagine be useful for someone who can not see and without breaking the bank.
I have a Dave Smith Prohet REV2. Pretty sure it can mostly do that kind of sounds you are asking for, although the soundbank is not really filled with that style of sounds. I do not find it over complex to understand, but I still can not imagine how to fully use that instrument blind. I mean programming. Many of those modern more complex analog synths have most functions laid out with one knob or switch, but still there are some functions hidden in menues. In case of the REV 2 it´s the mod matrix and the FX allocation.
I do not own a Nord lead, it is digital, but I think one of those can do the stuff you are asking for, too. But I expect it to be the same problem like with the Prophet Rev 2.
Bragging with gear.
Kurzweil PC361, PC3k6, PC4-7, K2, Yam Motif7+ES6, SY77, MM6, DX7 II, ProphetREV2, Polybrute, Roland V-Synth, Waldorf Q, Bgr.Model D, Novation Ultranova, 2xNova Desktop, Mininova, Modal Argon8, UnoSynthPro, Dbox Nymphes, Akai MPC One
Kaffimusic

Postby baekgaard » 26 Jun 2021, 00:50

This thread is 7 years old and the OP hasn't written anything here since May 2015 - so I guess the latest suggestions may no be so relevant to the OP any longer :-)

I guess the reason for reviving it was to advertise for the sound bank for sale via the YouTube link...

Sent from my phone in brevity
Last edited by baekgaard on 26 Jun 2021, 00:55, edited 1 time in total.

The author baekgaard was thanked by:
Schorsch
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Previous

Return to General Nord Forum