monophonic samples?

Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.
ruggero
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

monophonic samples?

Post by ruggero »

Support for monophonic samples with legato is a new feature on Nord Piano 5.

Some sample instruments, particularly in the Synth Lead and Synth
Bass categories are configured as monophonic legato instruments. This
means that they behave and sound as when played on a traditional,
monophonic synthesizer – with the envelope being triggered on
detached strokes only.

Any findings on Nord Library?
FZiegler
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: monophonic samples?

Post by FZiegler »

Hi Ruggero,

you are talking about Nord Piano 5. But the new Nord Sample Library 4.0 isn't open to the public yet - that's the format for NP5. We will only see later if there is what you ask for.

But what are you asking for? Do you have a new NP5 or are you asking for your NE5? I'm not sure if that feature can be used in older models.
Last edited by FZiegler on 15 Jun 2021, 10:39, edited 2 times in total.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
ruggero
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Post by ruggero »

thanks for reply. I was hoping that mono legato samples could be used on NE5.
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

ruggero wrote:thanks for reply. I was hoping that mono legato samples could be used on NE5.
I doubt that will be the case, since the NE5 is discontined and so unlikely to get major operating system/feature updates. I wonder whether even the current NE6 might be adapted. (I'm assuming that the new sample format--which is only data, after all--would also need new features in the operating system in order to to recognize the new data format and, when called for, alter the sound's playback behavior accordingly.)
CountFosco
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Post by CountFosco »

ruggero wrote:I was hoping that mono legato samples could be used on NE5.
Maybe a simple mono synth module that you control from your NE5 would be a neat workaround. There are plenty of nifty options in the 100 - 300 range which would fit nicely on top of your NE5. If you want PB and mod you'll have to be a bit more selective.
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

Yes, NE5 has nice support for an external synth module. (Unlike the NE6!) You could get what you want in a small-and-not-terribly-expensive Roland Boutique module. Or even an iPad/iPhone, which you may happen to already own.
vcfvca
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Post by vcfvca »

I've been asking for this for years. Even with the NE6 is would be useful just for playing mono synths from the sample section. One workaround that is quite effective is using an amp model.
Try this out:
Sample = Synth Trumpet MM (you may have to DL this sample)
Drive set to Twin
Drive amount = 4
Delay Feedback =1 Dry/Wet =3

When you crush 2 notes together the distortion kicks in and second note breaks up. It's much better than trying to play leads with a clean sound.

But Mr. Nord how hard would it be to add a mono function? You could use the existing Mono button plus a one from the Sample/Synth section to turn it on and off per patch.
Filigroove

Post by Filigroove »

vcfvca wrote:I've been asking for this for years. Even with the NE6 is would be useful just for playing mono synths from the sample section. One workaround that is quite effective is using an amp model.
Try this out:
Sample = Synth Trumpet MM (you may have to DL this sample)
Drive set to Twin
Drive amount = 4
Delay Feedback =1 Dry/Wet =3

When you crush 2 notes together the distortion kicks in and second note breaks up. It's much better than trying to play leads with a clean sound.

But Mr. Nord how hard would it be to add a mono function? You could use the existing Mono button plus a one from the Sample/Synth section to turn it on and off per patch.
For what I’ve understood the new (not yet available) sample library will contain native mono samples, so you don’t even “activate” them. But if this library will be available for older Nord models isn’t sure. What would be very useful to me is a “portamento time” setting, but I think this is just a dream because even the last Nord Piano 5 manual doesn’t talk about nothing similar.
Well, anyway even simple legato-mono samples would be useful to leave my old Nord Lead at home sometimes. Let’s hope.
vcfvca

Post by vcfvca »

Righto that's very interesting - most samplers usually have an option to play samples in mono/poly etc. I don't understand how the sample can just be a monophonic sample. I will do some further research.
Portamento would be brilliant but legato-mono would be so useful.

From the manual...

Some sample instruments, particularly in the Synth lead and Synth Bass categories are configured as monophonic legato instruments. this means that they behave and sound as when played on a traditional, monophonic synthesizer – with the envelope being triggered on detached strokes only.
The monophonic legato configuration can not be turned off or on manually. Similar sounds for polyphonic playing can for instance be found in the Synth Classic category.

So is this purely a sample thing or there something in the firmware that gets flagged when a mono sample is loaded. Very interesting development.
Last edited by vcfvca on 27 Jun 2021, 16:56, edited 2 times in total.
vcfvca

Post by vcfvca »

Woa - I think I've just seen where the Electro 7 is going. I've just read the specs of the Piano 5. If Nord add the following to the E7 it would be quite a big upgrade:

2x memory for Nord Sample Library NEW
Soft and Bright filters NEW
Unison for rich, ensemble sounds NEW
Tru-Vibrato for authentic vibrato NEW
Round robin for natural sounding repetitions NEW
Support for monophonic samples with legato NEW
Last edited by vcfvca on 27 Jun 2021, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.