Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Nord (electro 5) hp keybed

Postby Andersson » 19 May 2021, 00:35

Hi
Just wanted to share this evenings adventure - I figured it was time to really look into the issue with the noisy keybed of my Electro 5hp.

Getting the keybed out of the housing is no big deal - just make sure you don’t force the top back without disconnecting the wire that connects the control-panel to the pcb in the bottom half of the casing!

After some inspection I figured mosey of the rattle and clacking originated from the slot where the top key connects with the hammer, and with the keybed out of the casing I only took a gentle pull to release each key from the frame an expose the joint… looks to me like the lubricant used when assembled had slowly been worn away so that the affected keys had started to squeak and click.

I dismantled all the keys one by one, cleaned I a bit, but took care to not remove too much of what grease still left in the hinge-grooves, before applying some more silicon-grease and gently popping the keys back on the frame.

Then I reassembled the keyboard. What a difference! It feels like the day it left the factory!

The whole thing took me 1-2 hours to do… now for the interesting part: how long will this fix last before the keys start making bad noises again…

The author Andersson was thanked by 2 members, including:
HyraxeCpterm
Andersson

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Nord (electro 5) hp keybed

Sponsor

Re: Nord (electro 5) hp keybed

Postby HyraxeC » 15 Nov 2022, 09:23

Hello!
The grease adventure is indeed helpful to get the keys going smooth again. Recently I did the same, key by key; it is simple and riskless to click them out and in and to distribute the grease to the hinges and sliders. Before, some keys did not return properly when playing softly, but now it is ok again. Next time I might need som new grease. What type is it? (Should have the right viscosity and not solve the plastics!
The remaining problem is the rattling sound of the hammers, when falling back on the bottom damper foam. The aluminum body serves as a sound box. As the foam is wearing out in a few years, replacement could help. Does somebody know a source or a brand for new foam or felt?
Thanks! Henk
HyraxeC

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Return to Nord Electro Forum