This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Nord Red Tinted Laquer

Postby oldskool1 » 09 May 2021, 04:32

I have fabricated a few custom end panels for my Nord Lead 4. Is there any way to contact Clavia so that I can ask them which exact color they use for the Nord Lead 4? I think all the Nords are the same red, so how do I go about finding out what it is?
oldskool1

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Nord Red Tinted Laquer

Sponsor

Re: Nord Red Tinted Laquer

Postby ericL » 09 May 2021, 04:41

I would be surprised if Nord would share this information and it’s probably custom in house finish. Paint stores can match colors well, if you want to consider that. Years ago I bought some basic candy apple red paint off the shelf at Lowe’s and it looked pretty close.
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.

The author ericL was thanked by:
oldskool1
ericL
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby oldskool1 » 09 May 2021, 04:51

Thanks for the reply ericL. Was it paint that you bought? Or stain, or laquer? I ask because I can clearly see the grain of the wood through the "paint", and I think paint is opaque. I was thinking that Gibson Candy Apple Red looked pretty close to the Nord color, I may order that and test it on the back of the panel.
oldskool1

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Postby alex78 » 09 May 2021, 16:33

If you buy a simple paint the grains will not be visible. Just get a red stain and apply one coat and let dry. If you think the color is too light apply another one and so on. The more coats you apply the darker the color. When you achieve the desired result let dry and apply a coat of transparent laquer (I think the newer nords have a satin laquer while the older ones had gloss). For even better result sand the wood before painting with multiple snadpapers starting from a coarse one (100 or 120) to a finer (360 or 400). Good luck!
Last edited by alex78 on 09 May 2021, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.

The author alex78 was thanked by:
oldskool1
alex78
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby Kaffimusic » 11 May 2021, 15:41

I´d recomment getting a product (the red one) wich is simply water based, like dye. There are colours available, originally used for hobby handcrafting stuff (wood) that is not supposed to be used outside. No problem with that, since you really have to coat it after that with colourless transparent laquer, like Alex said. The water-based colour is uncritical to any later coating, no matter wich solvents might be used in it. They just colour the wood without covering it - like I said, like dye into fabric, it goes into the wood. Let it dry thoroughly after that. Again, like Alex recommended, sand the surface again to the quality you want to see in the final result. The water-based colour will most likely cause the wood to spread some small fibers out. The later laquer cannot cover it. Since the dye-like colour is inside the wood it will not go away as long as you just do final finishing-works before the laquer comes.
After that I recommend using a 2 component laquer. You can get them ready to mix in spraycans. Just one-time use, after mixing they dry inside the can after some days, no matter what, that´s a chemical reaction. It´s like resin. When you choose a high gloss product, you will be rewarded with a very durable and awesome looking finish. The coloured wood will get additionally depht and the surface will become hard and resilent. The standard paint is not that resistant to the usual things keyboards experience while being transported. It will keep is gloss over years.
This stuff is more expensive, but the best you can get and worth it.
Last edited by Kaffimusic on 11 May 2021, 15:48, edited 4 times in total.
Bragging with gear.
Kurzweil PC361, PC3k6, PC4-7, K2, Yam Motif7+ES6, SY77, MM6, DX7 II, ProphetREV2, Polybrute, Roland V-Synth, Waldorf Q, Bgr.Model D, Novation Ultranova, 2xNova Desktop, Mininova, Modal Argon8, UnoSynthPro, Dbox Nymphes, Akai MPC One

The author Kaffimusic was thanked by:
oldskool1
Kaffimusic

Return to General Nord Forum