All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Lounsberry Tall, Fat & Wide pedal

Postby alex78 » 07 Jan 2021, 20:57

Hello everyone, I wish all of you a happy new year with health, freedom and many many gigs!
I was considering getting an OD pedal for some extra gritt to my rock organ and EP's. Watched some youtube videos of the Organ Grinder and the Tall & Fat that are specially designed for organ. They both sound fabulous, but...they are mono and that is probably not good when using the nord's internal lesslie effect that needs stereo to be realistic. I can not afford extra money for a neo ventilator at the moment, in order to take the mono signal of the pedal and output it as stereo to the PA.
But I recently discovered the Tall, Fat & Wide pedal wich is stereo but much more expensive (345€ on thomman while the other two are about 100€ less). Has anybody tried this pedal with his nord? Is it worth the extra money?
alex78
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Lounsberry Tall, Fat & Wide pedal

Sponsor

Re: Lounsberry Tall, Fat & Wide pedal

Postby cphollis » 07 Jan 2021, 23:01

I can say that a leslie simulation in stereo is a glorious experience. But stereo isn't an option in many live gigging situations. I can't say whether or not it's worth it to you or your audience.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby alex78 » 07 Jan 2021, 23:46

I'm going out in stereo, both my nords on a small behringer mixer sitting on my electro next to the drawbars, a single stereo signal to the main mixer with the rest of the band and from there to FOH when live or to a pair of speakers when rehearsing.
The sound from the nords is awesome as it is, no one ever complained about it. I just thought this pedal could give some extra Gritt and character to the sound. We play hard rock & metal stuff and except from organ and other synth sounds, I also play some distorted guitar parts with my wave. In that occassion this pedal could come in handy when cranked up! The wave's drive is nice in lower settings but over 10o'clock is getting annoying.
alex78
Patch Creator

Postby alex78 » 04 May 2021, 20:59

I have read this thread but I could try it only if I had a stage, unfortunatelly I have just a poor electro-4 with no panels and seperate outputs...
I must say also that I have abandoned all the plans for external pedals and stuff at the moment due to the overall situation. If we manage to get bussy again with the rest of the band I will go with what I have, that is not bad at all, just a bit limmiting sometimes.
Keep healthy and don't let those hard times kill your creativity!
alex78
Patch Creator

Postby anotherscott » 19 May 2021, 15:21

alex78 wrote:I recently discovered the Tall, Fat & Wide pedal wich is stereo but much more expensive (345€ on thomman while the other two are about 100€ less). Has anybody tried this pedal with his nord? Is it worth the extra money?

Since T&F is mono, the way to make it stereo is to have two. So in terms of value, the extra 100€ is basically getting you a second T&F, which seems reasonable. Whether it's worth it depends on the value you place in running your organ-with-T&F in stereo instead of mono. You might also want to try running your existing Nord setup in mono vs. stereo and see how much you prefer the rotary effect in stereo. Also, picking up from what cphollis said, if you're feeding a house PA, note that many of them are mono anyway. Also, you could build on the system over time... You may not want to also spend the money on the Vent right now, but it's also something you could do later, so you could get where you want to in stages. If you're committed to stereo, maybe wait until you're ready to get the Vent first, and maybe add the T&F later.

You also mentioned wanting to use the effect on EPs... it's also worth noting that EP sounds are mono. But they may be played through stereo effects. Likely the same with the distorted guitar sounds from the Wave you mentioned.

Although you don't have a Stage, the Electro 4 does have an option to run organ sounds in mono out the left side, and all your other sounds (in mono) out the right... that would give you a way to put an outboard effect on just the organ, if you ever wanted to do that. But it sounds like, in this case, you want the effect on everything anyway.
anotherscott

Postby anotherscott » 19 May 2021, 19:19

True, T&F will not work as well after the rotary effect as before. I believe there was a youtube video demonstrating. This may also vary with how extereme an effect you're looking to get out of the T&F to begin with.
anotherscott

Postby lawman » 09 Jul 2021, 09:58

I'm a little late coming to this party, but here's something to chew on. The Vent II, as far as I know, is generally considered the best Leslie sim on the market. It includes two input jacks (L/R) and two output jacks (L/R). However, when engaging the rotary effect, only the IN R/MONO jack is used. The mono signal is then split into Left and Right outputs, creating the rotary effect. As you are looking for some grit, the Vent II also includes adjustable Drive, which emulates the characteristics of a Leslie tube amp. Since it requires use of only a mono input signal, you can put a mono Tall & Fat ahead of it, if you want. The Tall & Fat provides a different kind of drive effect, namely, it emulates the AO-28 preamp found in the Hammond B-3, C-3 and A-100. The manufacturer describes the Tall & Fat as providing the compression, second order harmonics and dynamic drive characteristics of the AO-28. If you were to go this route, you wouldn't need the more expensive stereo Tall Fat & Wide, since the mono Tall & Fat will do just as well. The signal path (which I use with my little Hammond) is: Mono signal from organ into mono input of Tall & Fat, then mono output from Tall & Fat into IN R/MONO jack of Vent II, then L/R stereo outputs from Vent II into wherever you want them to go. Voila!
Good luck!
lawman

Postby chuggid » 06 Feb 2023, 04:27

lawman wrote:The signal path (which I use with my little Hammond) is: Mono signal from organ into mono input of Tall & Fat, then mono output from Tall & Fat into IN R/MONO jack of Vent II, then L/R stereo outputs from Vent II into wherever you want them to go.
Good luck!

This is The Way.
chuggid

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C1

Postby PolishPrince » 06 Feb 2023, 08:41

chuggid wrote:
lawman wrote:The signal path (which I use with my little Hammond) is: Mono signal from organ into mono input of Tall & Fat, then mono output from Tall & Fat into IN R/MONO jack of Vent II, then L/R stereo outputs from Vent II into wherever you want them to go.
Good luck!

This is The Way.

This is exactly how I do it also. Except, I've got a Lounsberry Organ Grinder pedal in between the T&F and Vent II if I need to really piss off my guitar player.
Ambassador At Large
Current Gear: NS3C,OB-X8, MatrixBrute, Polybrute, 1961 A100, 2 Vent 2s, Korg M1REX, Matrix-6, MicroFreak, TR-8S & Roland Ax-Edge for the ladies. Studio: A&H QU-16,MIO xl, Adam Audio A7X, & a Creation Station.
PolishPrince
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Next

Return to Accessories and Amplification