General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), and Nord Stage 3 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: Reverb with Organ question

Postby Hlaalu » 04 May 2021, 07:23

U-Honey, if you want the organ to be routed to output 3 only, then select 3 as the "main". Options in there go from 1-2, to 1-4, to only 3 or 4.

That's what I use too, organ is routed to 3 only (NOT sub) and I do use reverb.

EDIT: see correction below
Last edited by Hlaalu on 04 May 2021, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.
Hlaalu

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Sponsor

Postby FZiegler » 04 May 2021, 09:45

And where do you send the other engines? I thought, you can send only 1 engine per panel to sub, but there are 2 left... (and then again, only without reverb, right?)
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.54) - Yamaha CP33 - MIDIsolutions Velocity Converter - K&M stands 18810+18811 & 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2
FZiegler
Donator

Postby Schorsch » 04 May 2021, 09:50

Hlaalu wrote:Yet some people do a different thing altogether, not meant to replicate any real Hammond + Leslie setup but that I think sounds very cool, which is to have a Leslie-less signal with reverb, paralleled with a totally reverb-less signal through the Leslie, and mix them to taste. In this way you avoid the whirl-like effect of reverb and Leslie together, be it before or after. I think Schorsch on this forum does this. I don't normally use this but when I tried it sounded very interesting, especially if you add a bit of tube drive on the no-Leslie+reverbered signal. The purists won't probably like it because it's not "realistic", but you get grit and power but also the Leslie at the same time in a way that's not the same as having the drived pushed through the Leslie itself.

Yes correct, I have tried this setup as Hlaalu mentioned and it sounds quite good. I have also put a Tall&Fat or a Neo DriveIn in the signal chain of the "dry" signal which does not go through my Ventilator II and tried a lot of other things also like pre- and post reverbs together with separate Hall of Fame pedals - the "problem" is that I have a lot of such effects devices available to play around with :D Much more on an experimental base and eventually for future use in my studio than using this setup on stage since the cabling effort is quite high. However, the sound improves a lot which subjectively perceived of course and probably not noticeable for the audience in a live performace
Last edited by Schorsch on 04 May 2021, 09:54, edited 3 times in total.
Regards Schorsch

Edits to this post were done to remove typos

The best in music is not in the notes.

Gear:
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Nord Stage 3 88
Nord Stage 2 EX 88
Yamaha Motif XF7 WH
Radial Key Largo
Neo Ventilator II
Hall of Fame 2
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby Hlaalu » 04 May 2021, 11:11

FZiegler wrote:And where do you send the other engines? I thought, you can send only 1 engine per panel to sub, but there are 2 left... (and then again, only without reverb, right?)

You're right, I poorly worded my sentence, I'll fix the above post: I meant all engines in the panel are routed to ch 3, so yes all of them would get reverb if switched on.

But I didn't notice the OP's specific needs: he wants the organ on ch 3 with reverb and piano and synth on 1-2 with NO reverb. And this isn't possible, he's right. But I guess the closest he could get is to route "main" to ch 3, so to get reverb on organ, then route either piano or synth to (SUB) ch 1-2 and get at least one of them without reverb.

I have never personally felt this limitation because I tend not to use multiple sound engines per Program anyway.
Hlaalu

Postby Hlaalu » 04 May 2021, 11:15

Schorsch wrote:the "problem" is that I have a lot of such effects devices available to play around with :D

That's a dangerously expensive playground. :D

But seriously, the parallel channels thing is very nice, I think I'll eventually make it permanent for my setup too, although I'll have to give up on other things, because of some mixer limitations...

By the way who cares if people don't notice, we (also?) play for ourselves. :lol:
Hlaalu

Postby FZiegler » 04 May 2021, 11:42

Hlaalu wrote:I have never personally felt this limitation because I tend not to use multiple sound engines per Program anyway.

That's what I presumed.

What wouldn't be bad for me, too, then being able to use my Boss FS-6 which is totally unused for the moment: 6 engines from 2 keybeds covered all my needs until now. Even rarely thinking of a split.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.54) - Yamaha CP33 - MIDIsolutions Velocity Converter - K&M stands 18810+18811 & 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2
FZiegler
Donator

Postby Hlaalu » 04 May 2021, 12:25

FZiegler wrote: then being able to use my Boss FS-6.

That's what I use too (albeit I have the more compact FS-7) and that's the reason why I seldom use more than one or two engines at time per Program. I guess it depends on the music one plays too. I don't layer sounds much. Not sure if it's applicable to the OP's needs.
Last edited by Hlaalu on 04 May 2021, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
Hlaalu

Postby Schorsch » 04 May 2021, 13:43

Hlaalu wrote:By the way who cares if people don't notice, we (also?) play for ourselves. :lol:

That's very true :thumbup:
Regards Schorsch

Edits to this post were done to remove typos

The best in music is not in the notes.

Gear:
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Nord Stage 3 88
Nord Stage 2 EX 88
Yamaha Motif XF7 WH
Radial Key Largo
Neo Ventilator II
Hall of Fame 2