Share and download User samples and project files (*.nsmp, *.nsmp3, *.nsmp4, *.nsmproj)"
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of patches and samples.

Re: dB Boost with the Sample Editor

Postby CountFosco » 26 Apr 2021, 19:12

A high pass filter might do a little to centre the waveform a little, but I don't think it will fundamentally solve the problem. That 2nd note looks like a pretty tricky waveform to normalise in comparison to the first note. I'm tickled by Mr_G's idea of rearranging phase in the frequency domain, but it sounds pretty clunky in practice, but it would be cool to hear if someone has a way to do it. I think it might be useful to mess around with the sound at its source a bit more, maybe tweaking an effect, waveshape, envelope or LFO might minimise the phase additions.
CountFosco

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Sponsor

Postby baekgaard » 27 Apr 2021, 00:14

CountFosco wrote:A high pass filter might do a little to centre the waveform a little, but I don't think it will fundamentally solve the problem. That 2nd note looks like a pretty tricky waveform to normalise in comparison to the first note. I'm tickled by Mr_G's idea of rearranging phase in the frequency domain, but it sounds pretty clunky in practice, but it would be cool to hear if someone has a way to do it. I think it might be useful to mess around with the sound at its source a bit more, maybe tweaking an effect, waveshape, envelope or LFO might minimise the phase additions.

Obviously, it depends on exactly what the problem is :-) I think there are two potential problems that we're discussing. To my eyes, it looks like the waveform of the 2nd note has some strong low frequency components that causes it to be asymmetrical over a period much longer than the base frequency (i.e. over many 100 ms). If you shift the phase of the low frequency component vs the others, it will just move the offset at which it peaks, but using a high pass filter will simply remove those low frequency components. As far as I can see, we're talking about frequencies maybe below 1 Hz which is not audible and should always just be removed.

I've created the following (gross) example to illustrate: The top line is a little more than a second of a 220 Hz tone with a lot of low frequency (1 Hz) content. This causes the "real" tone ("base frequency" here 220 Hz) to be offset from 0, varying over time. In this particular case it is still symmetrical over a longer timeline, but not if you would pick a small portion (like some 100 ms) of it. At the bottom, I've filtered it with a high-pass 10 Hz / 12 dB filter in Audacity:

Screenshot 2021-04-26 at 23.51.52 .png
Top: 220 Hz with a lot of low frequency content. Bottom: Filtered with a high-pass filter.
Screenshot 2021-04-26 at 23.51.52 .png (332.75 KiB) Viewed 1953 times

So in essence, the high pass filter will remove the local "offset" that Mr_G_ refers to above too. And note: this is just to illustrate the concept.

Now, Mr_G_'s idea (from Manfred Schroeder) is indeed interesting, but as mentioned, re-arranging the phase will just move the low frequency content (in the signal above) to some other parts in time, so it may not help as much in this particular situation. Where it MIGHT help would be if you have very peaky signals you want to reduce in amplitude. The paper actually refers to signals with low autocorrelation, which probably isn't true here; he talks about radar signals with few spectral components, and goes on to derive a formulation of the required phase distortion to minimise the peakiness.

Now, I've not tried something like this, but it's not easy to generalise this to work well for all signals; the frequency dependent phase shift needs to be tailored to the signal. And it's easy to come up with examples where it will cause challenges as some signals may increase in peakiness in some parts while reducing at others with the same treatment.

Also, I'm not sure I would really want this. We're basically talking about using a non-linear phase-shifting filter -- normally when you design filters, you would like to avoid phase distortion.

In fairness, it is somewhat open to which degree phase distortions are audible, but audiophiles (of which there may be some here too) sometimes pay enormous sums of money to avoid phase distortion too :-)

The author baekgaard was thanked by 2 members, including:
Mr_-G-WannitBBBad
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Mr_-G- » 27 Apr 2021, 13:07

Thanks for the excellent post baekgaard. Indeed Schroeder's paper deals more than anything with transients that would generate amplitudes off the chart. I came across this type of issue when trying to generate supersaw waveforms (I posted those somewhere here in the past). Not caring about the phases/offset of the individual saw waves can easily lead to massive peaks when adding them up. Rearranging their offsets solves the issue without major noticeable perceptual changes (which demonstrates the inability of the ear to detect fixed phase shifts).
I came also across another similar issue with ZynAddSubFX, where recording an alleged saw wave does not lead to a saw-looking wave (!)
Same story with the hemispherical wave, it does not look like I expected. Did not follow that up, but wondered whether that was an artefact or a feature. For some reason I expected the basic waves to look like in the traditional diagrams (and in some hard/softsynths they do if you check with an oscilloscope), but to the human hearing it is their spectra that is important, not the wave form itself.

The author Mr_-G- was thanked by:
baekgaard
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby WannitBBBad » 27 Apr 2021, 13:32

Mr_-G- wrote:Hi, Interesting. Do you also apply the "Remove DC offset" option and the "normalize stereo channels independently"?
I see that the 2nd note has the lower part just too close at the -1 amplitude limit while there is still some space in the top part of the wave. If you increase the amplitude it will distort (that is why it cannot be normalized further?), but if you could offset it up it might be possible to then increase the amplitude afterwards and keep everything within the amplitude space?
Let us know what you find out!

Yes, I did apply the "Remove DC Offset" but did not normalize the stereo channels independently, however in this case it didn't change anything likely because I did it over the entire file and not just the two notes.

I really appreciate everyone providing input on this. Applying the High Pass filter made sense to me but of all the techniques it yielded very poor results and drove the bottom of the wave into clipping - no idea why. I tried frequency cutoffs from a few Hz to over 40. Just a little curious I applied the Graphic EQ taking out the 20 Hz band only and found that the wave was slightly modified with multiple iterations. The compressor yielded nice results in driving the dB range with a lot of flexibility in application. The Limiter took care of the problem areas only and kept some of the underlying dynamics in this case. As this sample will not have any long-duration notes, I'm going to try going with the Limiter and then applying Normalization. In the end I might throw out the idea of doing a fully-mapped sample and decide which notes to leave out and let them be interpolated from an adjacent wave to get the best overall result; I'm planning to make various size samples and using interpolation anyway, so we'll see.

If anything, I think this example demonstrates the danger of not knowing what's in your sample - at loud amplification that second wave could probably do some damage. Below are snapshots of a few techniques just to show what I got. 20/20 hindsight I should have normalized each after applying the effect to better show the result but they give you an idea of how each addressed the 2nd wave. I follow with application of the Limiter and then Normalization across the full wave file. Thank you all.
ORIGINAL
WH Bass Synth 1 - Original.jpg
WH Bass Synth 1 - Original.jpg (307.97 KiB) Viewed 1903 times

HIGH PASS 40Hz Cutoff 6dB Rolloff
WH Bass Synth 1 - 40Hz 6dB Rolloff.jpg
WH Bass Synth 1 - 40Hz 6dB Rolloff.jpg (302.2 KiB) Viewed 1903 times

EQ - 20Hz Band Taken Out (multiple applications)
WH Bass Synth 1 - 20 Hz EQ out 20 times.jpg
WH Bass Synth 1 - 20 Hz EQ out 20 times.jpg (280.1 KiB) Viewed 1903 times

COMPRESSOR
WH Bass Synth 1 - Compressor.jpg
WH Bass Synth 1 - Compressor.jpg (329.53 KiB) Viewed 1903 times

LIMITER at 2dB
WH Bass Synth 1 - A - 2dB Limiter.jpg
WH Bass Synth 1 - A - 2dB Limiter.jpg (305.88 KiB) Viewed 1903 times

ORIGINAL
WH Bass Synth 1 - Original - Multiple Notes.jpg
WH Bass Synth 1 - Original - Multiple Notes.jpg (251.56 KiB) Viewed 1903 times

LIMITER
WH Bass Synth 1 - Limiter - Multiple Notes.jpg
WH Bass Synth 1 - Limiter - Multiple Notes.jpg (248.23 KiB) Viewed 1903 times

LIMITER and NORMALIZATION
WH Bass Synth 1 - Limiter then Normalized - Multiple Notes.jpg
WH Bass Synth 1 - Limiter then Normalized - Multiple Notes.jpg (261.27 KiB) Viewed 1903 times
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...

The author WannitBBBad was thanked by:
Mr_-G-
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby CountFosco » 27 Apr 2021, 15:19

Nice work, looks you've almost reached the limit of what could be possible. The idea of skipping the specific peaky notes should work

@baekgaard, nice post, and I've always enjoyed your signal analysis insights, but in this case, I'm inclined to disagree. I don't believe those signals are influenced, or modulated by, a HP filterable low frequency. My impression is there are two closish frequency sources interacting, and in the particular example of note 2, happen to interact with phase such that the addition is more extreme than for note 1. Why it happens inconsistently from note to note could be related to something at the source - eg waveshape modulated by LFO, slow chorus or detuning, randomly picking a dodgy spot in an LFO cycle, maybe a velocity sensitive effect (not sure if the notes were played by fingers or midi), I dunno, could be lots of things. That's why I suggested playing more with the source.

And coming back to Mr_G's frequency domain phase reshuffle, on rethink it might be difficult to find a way to get accurate enough phase resolution on two closely spaced frequencies to do this in a controllable way - but maybe some random tweaking could spew out an acceptable result. I still like the idea of trying it.

The author CountFosco was thanked by 3 members, including:
Mr_-G-WannitBBBadbaekgaard
CountFosco

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby baekgaard » 27 Apr 2021, 15:59

CountFosco wrote:Nice work, looks you've almost reached the limit of what could be possible. The idea of skipping the specific peaky notes should work

@baekgaard, nice post, and I've always enjoyed your signal analysis insights, but in this case, I'm inclined to disagree. I don't believe those signals are influenced, or modulated by, a HP filterable low frequency. My impression is there are two closish frequency sources interacting, and in the particular example of note 2, happen to interact with phase such that the addition is more extreme than for note 1. Why it happens inconsistently from note to note could be related to something at the source - eg waveshape modulated by LFO, slow chorus or detuning, randomly picking a dodgy spot in an LFO cycle, maybe a velocity sensitive effect (not sure if the notes were played by fingers or midi), I dunno, could be lots of things. That's why I suggested playing more with the source.

And coming back to Mr_G's frequency domain phase reshuffle, on rethink it might be difficult to find a way to get accurate enough phase resolution on two closely spaced frequencies to do this in a controllable way - but maybe some random tweaking could spew out an acceptable result. I still like the idea of trying it.

Thanks for the kind comments -- and likewise!

I agree that the offsets we're seeing here could either be an overlaid low-frequency signal OR a mix that also involves some superimposed waves close to one another in frequency (even if this could also have resulted in some areas with very low amplitude when they are out of phase) -- maybe from a chorus effect with multiple feedback parts? And indeed, based on the results that the OP mentioned, I look to be wrong in my interpretation since the HP filter didn't help. It's sometimes hard to tell only from looking at the waveform, of course, and your hunch was more correct here, it seems :-)

EDIT: I just noticed the sample is there already, so I'll have a look at that too.
Last edited by baekgaard on 27 Apr 2021, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

The author baekgaard was thanked by:
CountFosco
baekgaard

Postby baekgaard » 27 Apr 2021, 17:31

I had a look at the sample (available further up), and it looks like this may be caused by either a couple of similar waveforms (oscillators) being summed with some phase modulation of one of them, and/or perhaps one or more of the harmonics being slightly "out of tune" vs the lower fundamentals -- both of which are common situations for these types of sounds, I guess :-)

I tried applying a strong notch filter at the 3rd harmonic (around 98 Hz) and that seems to "nuke" some of the spikes and make it more "even", but of course it also changes the sound a lot, so that's not a useful approach either.

So the best remedy is likely what the OP did, using a limiter to take care of the spikes. An maybe consider if there are effects on the original sample that could be switched off and applied in the instrument afterwards (e.g. chorus of phaser).

Interesting case :-)
baekgaard

Postby WannitBBBad » 27 Apr 2021, 19:29

baekgaard wrote:I had a look at the sample (available further up), and it looks like this may be caused by either a couple of similar waveforms (oscillators) being summed with some phase modulation of one of them, and/or perhaps one or more of the harmonics being slightly "out of tune" vs the lower fundamentals -- both of which are common situations for these types of sounds, I guess :-)

I tried applying a strong notch filter at the 3rd harmonic (around 98 Hz) and that seems to "nuke" some of the spikes and make it more "even", but of course it also changes the sound a lot, so that's not a useful approach either.

So the best remedy is likely what the OP did, using a limiter to take care of the spikes. An maybe consider if there are effects on the original sample that could be switched off and applied in the instrument afterwards (e.g. chorus of phaser).

Thanks, I agree with your thoughts on addressing the sound at the source if possible. One thing for sure is rolling off the bass a little that I had boosted. I'll blame my headphones :) The sound is a variation of "Analog Funk" I edited. It's not using Chorus, LFO or detuning, but the MONO mode along with Pulse wave set an octave lower than the Saw wave are variables to look at. Thanks again!
Analog Funk W.jpg
Profile of "Analog Funk W" Synth Sound
Analog Funk W.jpg (53.2 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby baekgaard » 27 Apr 2021, 20:56

WannitBBBad wrote:
baekgaard wrote:I had a look at the sample (available further up), and it looks like this may be caused by either a couple of similar waveforms (oscillators) being summed with some phase modulation of one of them, and/or perhaps one or more of the harmonics being slightly "out of tune" vs the lower fundamentals -- both of which are common situations for these types of sounds, I guess :-)

Thanks, I agree with your thoughts on addressing the sound at the source if possible. One thing for sure is rolling off the bass a little that I had boosted. I'll blame my headphones :) The sound is a variation of "Analog Funk" I edited. It's not using Chorus, LFO or detuning, but the MONO mode along with Pulse wave set an octave lower than the Saw wave are variables to look at. Thanks again!
Analog Funk W.jpg
Ah, yeah - a sub osc could explain it too, as it's usually slightly detuned to fatten up the sound, and the overtones will then clash as the phase varies, similar to what we discussed above.

Thanks for filling in the background!

Sent from my phone in brevity
baekgaard

Postby WannitBBBad » 29 Apr 2021, 00:19

Thanks again all for your input on this. As noted by baekgaard, I went ahead and addressed the problem at the source and decided to resample the synth bass notes with their programmed decay and then normalized the file. To keep the overall file size low, I ended up keeping six of the sixteen notes and then went back-n-forth between the original program and the sample (both without EQ, Reverb, Effects) to determine how much I needed to boost the notes in the Sample Editor. My original post had the question as to whether folks found that some boost was needed to their samples (even after being normalized) to get them to a comparable volume to other instruments once loaded in the Stage 3. I ended up applying a 4 dB boost to get it close and did not see any clipping in the output I recorded. Here's a MP3 stepping through the notes playing the original and then the NSMP Sample on my Stage 3 (some of the notes are interpolated from the six samples I used). Take care.Update: The Synth Bass added to the rest of new NSMP Sample for Whitney Houston's "How Will I Know" is posted at post142072.html#p142072 Thanks!!
Attachments
Original vs 4db Sample.mp3
Comparison of original bass synth against sample file with 4 dB boost applied.
(1.51 MiB) Downloaded 144 times
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 29 Apr 2021, 01:53, edited 2 times in total.

The author WannitBBBad was thanked by 2 members, including:
Mr_-G-baekgaard
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Previous

Return to Nord User Samples (*.nsmp, *.nsmp3, *.nsmp4 files)