All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Nord Triple Pedal

Postby Normhart » 23 Apr 2021, 16:25

I’m expecting delivery of a Nord Triple Pedal by sometime next week and am interested in hearing from owners of this accessory what your opinions are of it. It will be used with a Stage 3. Thanks.
Last edited by Normhart on 23 Apr 2021, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
Normhart

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Nord Triple Pedal

Sponsor

Re: Nord Triple Pedal

Postby cphollis » 23 Apr 2021, 18:22

I'm not taking mine on rough gigs any more, I've had two break on me. They are not easy to repair, and they most assuredly are not cheap. It now sits safely in the studio, where I take it out for recording projects, sort of like an expensive microphone.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby Nord33 » 23 Apr 2021, 18:48

cphollis wrote:I'm not taking mine on rough gigs any more, I've had two break on me. They are not easy to repair, and they most assuredly are not cheap. It now sits safely in the studio, where I take it out for recording projects, sort of like an expensive microphone.

I'm just interested in what kid of issue did you have with it? :)
Nord33

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand

Postby Normhart » 24 Apr 2021, 06:14

cphollis wrote:I'm not taking mine on rough gigs any more, I've had two break on me. They are not easy to repair, and they most assuredly are not cheap. It now sits safely in the studio, where I take it out for recording projects, sort of like an expensive microphone.

Things like pedals really need to be built like tanks to go on the road. I’m not surprised that these are most likely the part of the equipment list that take the most beating. Fortunately for me, I don’t gig anymore and it’ll have a relatively easy life in my studio. Was the damage to your pedal(s) mechanical, electronic or both?
Normhart

Postby Nordlicht » 24 Apr 2021, 06:41

Nord33 wrote:I'm just interested in what kid of issue did you have with it? :)

I bought a broken triple pedal from someone a while ago for only 25 Euros. He said "it just don’t work anymore". I was curious, opened it and found that one of the springs was broken (the one of the sustain pedal that obviously was used most of the time). I assume that these springs might be the weak part of the pedal...

I just switched the intact spring from the middle pedal to the right and have now a sustain pedal with damper noise (and never need the middle pedal anyway).
Nord Piano 5 + Nord Piano Monitors, Nord Stage 4 Compact + other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/spektralfarben
Nordlicht
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4

Postby cphollis » 24 Apr 2021, 14:01

My first triple pedal died from spilled beer at the gig. As it uses optical sensors, it wasn't easily fixable. My second triple pedal died from dirt/dust. You'd think you could use compressed air to blow it clean, but no.

My current one lives in a velvet box in a humidity-controlled room behind bulletproof glass. Just kidding, but it's not going out on any gigs any time soon.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby Normhart » 24 Apr 2021, 14:09

Nordlicht wrote:
Nord33 wrote:I'm just interested in what kid of issue did you have with it? :)

I bought a broken triple pedal from someone a while ago for only 25 Euros. He said "it just don’t work anymore". I was curious, opened it and found that one of the springs was broken (the one of the sustain pedal that obviously was used most of the time). I assume that these springs might be the weak part of the pedal...

I just switched the intact spring from the middle pedal to the right and have now a sustain pedal with damper noise (and never need the middle pedal anyway).

It would make sense that a majority of the problems would be mechanical considering the physical contact with the pedal. Luckily for you the original owner wasn’t ‘mechanically inclined’.
Last edited by Normhart on 24 Apr 2021, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.
Normhart

Postby Normhart » 24 Apr 2021, 14:21

cphollis wrote:My first triple pedal died from spilled beer at the gig. As it uses optical sensors, it wasn't easily fixable. My second triple pedal died from dirt/dust. You'd think you could use compressed air to blow it clean, but no.

My current one lives in a velvet box in a humidity-controlled room behind bulletproof glass. Just kidding, but it's not going out on any gigs any time soon.

Ahh the spilled <insert beverage here> gremlin. I’ve encountered this creature more times than I’d like to remember. With all the potential hazards of live playing, it’s a miracle my stuff made it through that time in one piece.
Normhart

Postby Mr_-G- » 24 Apr 2021, 20:23

cphollis wrote: As it uses optical sensors, it wasn't easily fixable.

Do you mean the Nord triple pedal?
I do not think it uses optical sensors at all but the same silicone bubbles with carbon contacts that are used in the keys.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby Nord33 » 24 Apr 2021, 21:58

Mr_-G- wrote:
cphollis wrote: As it uses optical sensors, it wasn't easily fixable.

Do you mean the Nord triple pedal?
I do not think it uses optical sensors at all but the same silicone bubbles with carbon contacts that are used in the keys.

maybe for the middle and left pedal, but I was dealing with Yamaha FC3A pedal which also supports half-pedaling, and it has some kind of position sensor that looks like a motor (of course it's not), but that's what it looks like. So when you press on the pedal, lever moves and rotates sensor to a different positions. I think that some similar thing should be happening with sustain pedal inside Nord Triple pedal :) (maybe I'm wrong :? )
Nord33

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand

Next

Return to Accessories and Amplification