General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Stage 3 Operating System

Postby lbkeys » 22 Apr 2021, 22:06

Any idea when Nord will be releasing a new OS for the Stage 3? It’s been over a year since 2.54 was released.
Larry Novak
http://www.noshoesnationband.com
Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 2, Kurzweil PC4,
Hammond A122, Neo Mini Vent II, Hammond XK3C Pro System
lbkeys

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Stage 3 Operating System

Sponsor

Re: Stage 3 Operating System

Postby Schorsch » 22 Apr 2021, 22:30

I think it will be released when it’s available ;)

Honestly, there is no crystal ball to look into and Nord does not disclose such kind of information - nobody knows if there will be an update at all anymore
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby analogika » 22 Apr 2021, 22:31

lbkeys wrote:Any idea when Nord will be releasing a new OS for the Stage 3? It’s been over a year since 2.54 was released.

What issues are you looking to get fixed?
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Normhart » 23 Apr 2021, 12:09

I don’t have any real issues currently as I’m just beginning to get comfortable with 2.54 enough to have a basic proficiency with the operation of my Stage 3. If there’s anything to improve, it would have more to do with internal functions like an improved memory compression algorithm that would increase effective memory capacity. I’d be ok with whatever impact (hopefully as small as possible) it may have on loading times of samples etc.. IOW trading some performance for capacity (if we’re looking at negligible performance hits, of course). Making improvements on the hardware side usually has to come with major product introductions i.e Stage 4, EX etc..Enhancements and improvements through software are a lot more practical -for owners of existing products.
Normhart

Postby FZiegler » 23 Apr 2021, 12:17

Normhart wrote:I’d be ok with whatever impact (hopefully as small as possible) it may have on loading times of samples etc..

Wow. Not sure if I'd agree. Probably not. I'm fine with it as it is. It's your job as a newbie to choose from the library - hard job, indeed.
Last edited by FZiegler on 23 Apr 2021, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Postby Normhart » 23 Apr 2021, 16:17

FZiegler wrote:
Normhart wrote:I’d be ok with whatever impact (hopefully as small as possible) it may have on loading times of samples etc..

Wow. Not sure if I'd agree. Probably not. I'm fine with it as it is. It's your job as a newbie to choose from the library - hard job, indeed.

Fair enough and I’ll defer to your assessment. You have much more experience with Nord than I. As I gain more knowledge and experience, I’ll most likely end up taking your position on it. I guess it’s just a reflex on my side to automatically want the obvious ‘more is better’ as far as memory goes. Anyway, while I do like to work with samples, my interest tends more towards sound design with the synth engine as I have more general knowledge and experience in that area from working with other synthesizers and is probably the most comfortable aspect of the Stage 3 for me initially.
Normhart

Postby RichardG » 18 May 2021, 11:16

Looking at the recent fixes for other models I think we might expect the following sometime this year, at least, if applicable :

New feature:

Added MIDI Out Velocity Curve page to System menu, with Heavy, Medium and Light options (Heavy is default).
Added MIDI Out Velocity Legacy page to System menu, set to Off by default. To use the MIDI velocity scaling of previous OS version, set this to On. When set to On, the curve selections on preceding page are not applicable.

Other updates:

Fixed potential bug where user samples with silent zones could theoretically cause stability issues.
Under certain circumstances long release times for samples would not be dampened on program changes. Fixed.
Improvements to seamless transition mechanism.
Improvements to Sample Synth dynamics.
Receiving MIDI Program Change message could inadvertently change Piano sound for loaded program.
MIDI Program Change messages would not be correctly filtered out when set to "Off" in menu.
Sample Synth notes with long Release would under some circumstances not be faded out as expected when changing programs.
The following statement is not true. The previous statement is true.
RichardG

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Return to Nord Stage Forum