Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

Nord 3P - CC data Reverb / Delay parameters

Postby 8bit Barry » 21 Apr 2021, 22:22

Hi there,

I just bought a brand new Nord 3p and I am loving it. Connected it up to an Akai MPC2500, Digitakt and Ableton Live (to ensure its not a Midi fault) to try and solve why the unit will not receive CC data for the following and I am stumped -

Reverb Type CC12
Reverb Color CC13
Delay Time CC44
Delay Feedback CC45

Literally everything else works - Volume, Pan and every other ones I have tried from the published CC list in the manual, but not these four.

The 3P is responding on individual MIDI channels - 1-6 so I can control sounds independently.

I am on firmware 1.24

Thanks in advance...
8bit Barry

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 3P

Nord 3P - CC data Reverb / Delay parameters

Sponsor

Re: Nord 3P - CC data Reverb / Delay parameters

Postby maxpiano » 21 Apr 2021, 22:48

Hi, welcome to NUF, have you tried to see if those CCs are also sent by the 3P (when you modify the associated parameter) and on which channel?
Last edited by maxpiano on 21 Apr 2021, 22:51, edited 4 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby 8bit Barry » 21 Apr 2021, 23:09

The Nord 3P will not allow modification of those CC parameters when the unit is used in 6 channel MIDI mode. If I turn off GLOBAL back on, the CC's can be modified. That's disappointing. It doesn't say that in the manual.
8bit Barry

Postby wartaler » 22 Apr 2021, 04:13

Hi 8bit Barry,

Perhaps it has to do with the fact that the delay and reverb effects are applied to the whole kit, so controlling them per individual MIDI channel wouldn't really make sense anyway,

8bit Barry wrote:If I turn off GLOBAL back on, the CC's can be modified.

Did you turn the Global MIDI channel off or on? Perhaps the way to control these global effects is through the global MIDI channel. You can use Global and Individual MIDI channels at the same time as long as you choose a different MIDI channel for it than for the six Individual channels, (say 10 while indiv. channels are eg. 1-6).

Cheers,
Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 24 Apr 2021, 05:22, edited 6 times in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Postby 8bit Barry » 24 Apr 2021, 22:27

I didn’t know that - I was under the assumption you chose one or the other. Seems like a weird setup - I can’t think of any other device that does this. I’ll try it out and report back.
So you think the drums will respond on 1-6 (for example) and the unit can operate the CC parameters on a separate midi channel?
8bit Barry

Postby wartaler » 25 Apr 2021, 13:18

Hi Barry,
Yes, you can control sound parameters of the individual drum sounds using MIDI channels (eg) 1-6, and at the same time trigger the drum sounds, and (I suppose) also the delay and reverb parameters (with before mentioned CCs) using the global MIDI channel (eg 10).

You can also trigger the drum sounds using the individual MIDI channels, but then the MIDI note that you send will determine the pitch of the Tone section of the drum sound, if you send note number 60, it will have the same pitch as you programmed it. By triggering the drum sounds via the global MIDI channel, the drum sounds will always have the pitch as you programmed them.

When you send MIDI CCs on the global MIDI channel to control drum sound parameters, only the drum sound that is currently selected will be affected, but as reverb and delay are global effects, I think you should be able to control them using the Global MIDI channel, and regardless of which drum channel is selected.

Cheers,
Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 25 Apr 2021, 23:00, edited 2 times in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Return to Nord Drum Forum