Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

NE6 Lower KB - MIDI question

Postby warse22 » 22 Apr 2021, 00:28

Can’t find this specifically addressed in the manual, I’m hoping someone can help.

Close to pulling the trigger on a NE6. I use a lot of software instruments live, but I’m also looking to maximize the Nord sound engine by using the lower KB function. I would like to send MIDI via USB on channel 1 from the NE6 to MainStage to trigger software instruments. At the same time, I want to send the lower KB via 5 pin on channel 16 to the NE6. My question is:

1) Is the MIDI information, sent from the lower KB via 5 pin on channel 16, sent out of the NE6 via USB MIDI? Or is that information used by Nord sound engine only? (This is what I am hoping for).

2) If the lower KB MIDI info IS sent out of the NE6 via USB MIDI, is it “converted” to channel 1 (or whatever the global channel is set as) or does it remain channel 16-specific information?

Thanks in advance!
warse22
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

NE6 Lower KB - MIDI question

Sponsor

Re: NE6 Lower KB - MIDI question

Postby FZiegler » 22 Apr 2021, 01:33

I don't have an Electro 6, but a Stage 3 - so someone would have to verify about reality.

First of all, I believe that MIDI data in that generation of Electros sent over 5-pin DIN and USB is basically the same.

But what you are planning to do isn't sending MIDI on both paths, but receiving MIDI on the 5-pin DIN MIDI jack and sending MIDI to the computer via USB. So question 1) has to be answered as follows: As far as you can get info on the Electro subforum, there is no soft-thru function on the Electro 6 (nord-electro-forum-f9/nord-electro-6d-midi-problem-t19293.html?hilit=soft%20thru#p129100). What you get on MIDI-in (whether USB or DIN) will not be forwarded to MIDI-out.

The Stage 3 uses the Extern section for soft MIDI-thru - which the Electro doesn't have. And then forwards on the Extern MIDI channel (nord-stage-forum-f3/real-midi-thru-on-nord-stage-3-compact-t19698.html?hilit=soft%20thru#p131898).
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars

The author FZiegler was thanked by:
warse22
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby warse22 » 23 Apr 2021, 22:24

Very helpful! Thank you very much.

One last question that I also cannot seem to find an answer for...

When using the external kbd function on the Electro 6, does it matter where the sustain pedal is plugged in? If it is plugged into the midi controller, is the NE6 “listening” for cc64 or does the sustain need to be plugged directly into the Nord?
warse22
Patch Creator

Postby FZiegler » 23 Apr 2021, 23:45

I don't dare answering this one. As the Electro 6 has received an update concerning MIDI functionality which my Stage 3 hasn't yet, the two instruments aren't on the same level.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby vcfvca » 30 Apr 2021, 11:07

warse22 wrote:Can’t find this specifically addressed in the manual, I’m hoping someone can help.

Close to pulling the trigger on a NE6. I use a lot of software instruments live, but I’m also looking to maximize the Nord sound engine by using the lower KB function. I would like to send MIDI via USB on channel 1 from the NE6 to MainStage to trigger software instruments. At the same time, I want to send the lower KB via 5 pin on channel 16 to the NE6. My question is:

1) Is the MIDI information, sent from the lower KB via 5 pin on channel 16, sent out of the NE6 via USB MIDI? Or is that information used by Nord sound engine only? (This is what I am hoping for).

2) If the lower KB MIDI info IS sent out of the NE6 via USB MIDI, is it “converted” to channel 1 (or whatever the global channel is set as) or does it remain channel 16-specific information?

Thanks in advance!

Going through it step by step:

1) USB and 5pin MIDI transmit/receive identical data - but note that data received at USB In is not echoed to MIDI Out and vica versa.
2) If you set the Global Channel to 1 then the Electro will transmit data on channel 1 to USB and MIDI across the whole keyboard even either side of the split point if you are using one.
3) Any internal engines that are on and not set to Ext Keyb Lo will sound (so you will need to turn them off unless you want to layer them with your software instruments.
4) Ext Keyb set to Channel 16 - any Midi data on channel 16 received at USB or MIDI In will only play the part that is set to Ext Keyb Lo. It will not be retransmitted or converted.
5) Remember MIDI data In is not echoed to the USB or MIDI outs.
6) Global Midi data is always transmitted from USB and MIDI ports simultaneously
7) It is possible to filter Control (panel) and Program changes. Note that Expression CC11 and Sustain CC64 are always transmitted.

FWIW I updated from an E5 to an E6 and found it was a step backward in terms of using the E6 as a controller for external gear. The E5 had an option called Upper KB Split. This allowed you to split the keyboard and send MIDI data on the upper split to a specific channel to your gear. You could still play the internal sounds from an external keyboard using the Global channel too. I have included a screenshot from the E5 manual.

I doubt this feature will come back because the E6 is now based around zones rather than parts. The E6 can have all 3 zones active and they can be layered/split. The E5 could only do 2 parts at a time.

Screenshot 2021-04-30 at 10.01.50.png
Screenshot 2021-04-30 at 10.01.50.png (278.01 KiB) Viewed 992 times
Last edited by vcfvca on 30 Apr 2021, 11:46, edited 3 times in total.

The author vcfvca was thanked by:
warse22
vcfvca

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby warse22 » 28 May 2021, 00:13

Thanks very much for the helpful responses. Bought the NE6 today, have it set up and working! It's triggering my software show files perfectly and then running its own sounds/programs as my redundant rig. So working out just as I had hoped.

One last question/problem - I have the sustain pedal plugged into the bottom board and it's working as expected for anything assigned to "external kbd to lo". But anything assigned to "up" is not being sustained (even though the midi indicator lights up when I press the pedal). If I unplug the sustain and plug it directly into the NE6, the reverse is true - instruments assigned to "up" sustain, instruments assigned to "lo" do not. I'd love to just have one pedal work for both ....is it possible??
warse22
Patch Creator

Return to Nord Electro Forum