General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

MIDI automatic transposing issue

Postby Matt-2304 » 21 Apr 2021, 21:44

Hi everyone,

When I've been using my Nord Stage 3 as a MIDI input into Logic Pro x, sometimes when I record it seems to just automatically transpose itself? Sometimes this is up a semitone, sometimes a tone etc. This is usually after I've inputted notes, and I'm just playing them back, or using these notes to record audio through the Nord. Is this something other people seem to get? I've turned local control off, and I'm wondering if maybe there's a setting that I've not changed that's causing this?

Could someone help with this cause it's bugging the hell out of me!

Thanks,
Matt
Matt-2304

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

MIDI automatic transposing issue

Sponsor

Re: MIDI automatic transposing issue

Postby FZiegler » 21 Apr 2021, 22:23

Hi Matt-2304,

what you are reporting might happen on the Stage 3 side or within your software. To find that out, you should wait until it happens next time and then look into the Stage 3 transpose settings if it's there.

Why does that happen?
a) You have - by any chance - set one of your NS3 programs with the transpose button to transpose. This affects the two panels independently and is a per-program setting (p. 26 in the manual);
b) You have - by any other bad chance - set Global Transpose in the NS3 System menu; Panel and Global transpose are added together;
(both transpose settings are only followed for the MIDI commands to your computer, if Transpose MIDI At in the MIDI menu is set to <Out>; if it's set to <In> it will only be transposed if you are playing back some MIDI data from Logic within your NS3)
c) if you consider the MIDI Controller List, it doesn't look as if there was a MIDI command that would set the internal Transpose settings from your computer - so the NS3 settings shouldn't be affected in that point from within Logic. But of course, something might happen within Logic to finally transpose the incoming data. If you say sometimes, it's one, sometimes two semitones, it sounds to me a bit like that. Then you should do some quest on that side.
Last edited by FZiegler on 21 Apr 2021, 22:26, edited 3 times in total.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Return to Nord Stage Forum