This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Stand EX - the final setup move?

Postby tbjazz » 16 Apr 2021, 09:17

Hi all ,
I've had a look through all the threads on the Stand EX and I couldn't find an answer to this one, but please forgive me if I've missed it and I'm repeating something here.

I am wondering how owners of the EX find the 'final move' in setting the stand up - i.e. actually turning the piano the right way up again with the legs now attached. Nord's instruction video is clear on everything - really helpful - until it suddenly cuts to the piano being *magically* the right way up again. It seems to me that this might be a bit of a challenge by oneself?

I have a Piano 4 and I'd love move away from a X frame stand. The Stand EX looks great - but it's the need to turn the thing the right way up again that worries me. Any experience shared would be much appreciated.
tbjazz

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

Stand EX - the final setup move?

Sponsor

Re: Stand EX - the final setup move?

Postby FZiegler » 16 Apr 2021, 09:30

Look as if you should be 2 persons to turn it up. Then it should be easy.

Just ask two of your roadies. :) And don't forget the blanket to lay the piano on.
Last edited by FZiegler on 16 Apr 2021, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars

The author FZiegler was thanked by:
tbjazz
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby tbjazz » 16 Apr 2021, 09:41

Yes - the two person thing was what I suspected, which isn't so ideal if you go out as a solo player...
I was thinking I could lay it upside-down in the Nord case to attach the legs.

The author tbjazz was thanked by:
FZiegler
tbjazz

Postby Schulti » 16 Apr 2021, 10:11

I used it for along time solo. I put two half foam rolls into my nord bag. So i could put the keyboard upside down into the case. Then put the legs on. For turning the keyboard i grabed it on one leg (right under the mount) and my other hand goes to the opposide edge of the keyboard. Due to the weight of the legs and the space that is in the middle i was able to turn it quiete easly with no help from others. I did this very often and never had any problems :)

Best
Christoph

The author Schulti was thanked by 2 members, including:
tbjazzFZiegler
Schulti

Postby maxpiano » 16 Apr 2021, 10:12

FZiegler wrote:Look as if you should be 2 persons to turn it up. Then it should be easy.

Just ask two of your roadies. :) And don't forget the blanket to lay the piano on.

Or, for 1 person operations, bring a X stand too, just to keep it lifted while you attach the legs :mrgreen:
Last edited by maxpiano on 16 Apr 2021, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby taxman » 16 Apr 2021, 12:15

I had this stand with my piano3. I do it alone like that:
- the piano is in the nord softcase.
- knee in front of the open case, the four legs, the two struts and srews beside you
- put the piano in the case on the backside and hold it with one hand
- begin with the legs, srew them in - than connect the two struts
- stand up, grab the piano by the front legs, right under the bottom of the piano and pull
the instrument in the right position
It work for me, after doing it several times. It take at least under five minutes.

The author taxman was thanked by:
tbjazz
taxman

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby tbjazz » 16 Apr 2021, 13:23

Thanks all - very helpful. Sounds as if it's possible with one, which is good news. Still, would've been nice if the demo video had included the moment of turning :)
Cheers
tbjazz

Postby Spider » 16 Apr 2021, 14:25

I never liked the Nord Stand. While I like the idea of fixed legs as opposite to a wobbly stand, in practice I see quite a few disadvantages.
- fixed height
- quite complicated to mount, and I don't like at all the idea of turning the keyboard on its back or even upside down, risking damage to the back connections or to the knobs, pitch lever and mod wheel. Of course risk will be minimal if the procedure is made with care, but if one is using the keyboard for gigging, it will be made very often (twice per gig/rehearsal, multiple times per week) and often setup-teardown is a busy, hurried and chaotic part of the gig, where the probability of making a mistake increases.
- it's not so light, it weighs just a little less than a good table stand like the K&M 18810.
- of course, like anything Nord, it's quite expensive.

So compared to a good X, Z or table stand, the Nord legs are less practical, more expensive, not so much lighter, and at higher risk of damaging the keyboard through a more complicated setup-teardown process that requires turning the instrument upside-down multiple times. Uhm... I think I'll keep using my K&M 18950 and QuickLok Z71 ;)
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby PScooter63 » 16 Apr 2021, 17:05

Once I learned how, setting up/breaking down the Stand EX became second nature (73-note HP, for reference). 2.5 minutes tops, never a risk of damage. I too use my soft case to invert my instrument, and the whole thing including legs still weighs comparatively nothing.

Stability (i.e., not even a hint of wobble) is my highest priority in a stand, looks follows a close second, and ease of setup is third. I have no roadies, and a third-party stand usually means one extra trip to the car (ugh). When I need a second tier for a gig, that means an X-Stand... but my gosh they are ugly in comparison, and restrict the usable pedal space.
Last edited by PScooter63 on 16 Apr 2021, 17:06, edited 2 times in total.

The author PScooter63 was thanked by:
taxman
PScooter63

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Return to General Nord Forum