General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

NS3C best HA MIDI controller question

Postby Jasonpank » 11 Apr 2021, 14:50

Hi all. I have a NS3C and a Korg SP-250. I am not happy with the way the SP-250 controls the piano sounds on the NS3C - no matter how hard I hit the keys I can’t seem to get the full range of sound from the Nord piano options. I assume its due to the old HA tech in the Korg that doesn’t have the same range or number of outputs when you press the keys??

So I am looking for a better solution at around $1200 or less. There a lot of options out there for HA 88 key keyboards with a MIDI output and I am wondering if they will all work better than the old Korg that I have. What I am looking for is a digital piano with MIDI so I can use this unit for band practices and gigs and have it in my home for my kid to practice on as well.

Is there anything on this list (only those with MIDI of course...) that I should shy away from: https://digitalpianojudge.com/best-digi ... s-reviews/

Any recommendations?

Thank you in advance everyone.
Last edited by Jasonpank on 11 Apr 2021, 15:07, edited 2 times in total.
Jasonpank

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

NS3C best HA MIDI controller question

Sponsor

Re: NS3C best HA MIDI controller question

Postby MartinJ2EX » 11 Apr 2021, 16:31

There’s already an interesting topic for the Nord Electro, which has basically the same action without aftertouch :)
nord-electro-forum-f9/how-many-of-you-connect-a-weighted-key-controller-t20787.html

I’d like to repeat something that has already been said in other posts...
If you like and are used to your action, you can also get a MIDI velocity scaler :)
The semi-weighted versions are of course optimized for this action, so the feel might be different with a hammer action keyboard.
That’s why some folks have been suggesting that an option for external MIDI scaling in the Nord would be nice.
For example: the internal waterfall keybed will behave as expected, but the velocity scale for a hammer action MIDI controller would be nice.

Regarding your list of hammer action keyboards:
I’d be careful, some of these “budget” hammer action pianos can have a decent keybed, but might lack a MIDI port ;)

There are some really nice MIDI hammer action pianos out there, if you don’t need an internal sound engine:
Studiologic SL88 Studio (“regular” graded FATAR action)
Studiologic SL88 Grand (wooden graded FATAR action, double the price of the Studio)
Arturia Keylab 88 mk2

With internal sounds I think these are really great:
a used Nord Piano 3/4
Roland RD-88 (ivory feel keys)
Last edited by MartinJ2EX on 11 Apr 2021, 17:15, edited 3 times in total.
Nord Stage 4 88 | Stage 2 EX 88
Numa Organ 2 | DX7 IIFD | JX-08
SL 61mk3 | opsix | UB-Xa

Live Musician since 2010
> My Website <

Sugar Sharks | Hertha Band

The author MartinJ2EX was thanked by:
Jasonpank
MartinJ2EX
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby anotherscott » 11 Apr 2021, 17:06

Yes, if you like your Korg, you can adapt its velocity with a device (like the one at http://midisolutions.com/prodvel.htm ) or via software if you have a computer nearby. I'd only get a new keyboard if you are looking for a different feel, other sounds/features, or lighter travel weight.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
Jasonpank
anotherscott

Postby taxman » 11 Apr 2021, 18:23

First try to adapt the velocitycurve with a app. There are some on the market for free, some DAWs can make this too. I have an doepfer lmk2+ and had the same problems. I fix it with the midisolution tool. But first test it via pc and App. Edit: I use the App Velocity Curve.exe for Win
Last edited by taxman on 11 Apr 2021, 19:04, edited 2 times in total.

The author taxman was thanked by 2 members, including:
JasonpankFZiegler
taxman

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby FZiegler » 11 Apr 2021, 19:41

I use the MIDIsolutions Velocity Converter, too. The translation table between my Yamaha CP33 and the Nord Stage looks somewhat like that:
VelocityCurve.png
VelocityCurve.png (23.24 KiB) Viewed 2229 times

Which means: The Yamaha was too brisk and the velocity in the middle range had to be lowered, whereas starting point and maximum were OK. If it's different for you, you can set up your own curve - might work with software, too.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Postby Jasonpank » 12 Apr 2021, 00:21

anotherscott wrote:Yes, if you like your Korg, you can adapt its velocity with a device (like the one at http://midisolutions.com/prodvel.htm ) or via software if you have a computer nearby. I'd only get a new keyboard if you are looking for a different feel, other sounds/features, or lighter travel weight.

OK that's super cool. I am fine with the Korg. I mostly use it as a controller with a piano feel during practice sessions - when we used to have them :( I plan to use it live as well. I don't want to have to fuss with a computer so this loos like a good solution. Thank you!
Jasonpank

Postby Jasonpank » 12 Apr 2021, 00:28

taxman wrote:First try to adapt the velocitycurve with a app. There are some on the market for free, some DAWs can make this too. I have an doepfer lmk2+ and had the same problems. I fix it with the midisolution tool. But first test it via pc and App. Edit: I use the App Velocity Curve.exe for Win

AAAhh.. OK. I can 'test' the tool before I buy it. Thank you. I will have to figure out how to link the Korg to my Mac.

The Korg is not my favourite feeling keyed but its a step up from the NS3C in terms of piano key feel. I have a Privia at home as well which I prefer but no MIDI on that guy.

Thanks again.
Jasonpank

Postby maxpiano » 12 Apr 2021, 07:28

Jasonpank wrote:
taxman wrote:First try to adapt the velocitycurve with a app. There are some on the market for free, some DAWs can make this too. I have an doepfer lmk2+ and had the same problems. I fix it with the midisolution tool. But first test it via pc and App. Edit: I use the App Velocity Curve.exe for Win

AAAhh.. OK. I can 'test' the tool before I buy it. Thank you. I will have to figure out how to link the Korg to my Mac.

The Korg is not my favourite feeling keyed but its a step up from the NS3C in terms of piano key feel. I have a Privia at home as well which I prefer but no MIDI on that guy.

Thanks again.

You can also test the Privia by connecting it and NS3C to a computer via USB MIDI then using a MIDI Routing app (MidiOX on Windows, Patchbay on Mac) to send MIDI data from the Prova to the NS3. Then, if you like it, you can buy a "USB MIDI Host" (just Google those 3 words) to use it also without a computer.
Last edited by maxpiano on 12 Apr 2021, 07:29, edited 1 time in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by 2 members, including:
jmorrataxman
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby LeftyBass68 » 14 Apr 2021, 01:55

Roland/Rhodes MK80 just about right to rest a Stage3 Compact on.Beast at 80 pounds and designed to ride a partner keyboard on.Had one for twenty years and miss it at times.
Then I got an HA88 too.The smaller MK60 will still host a second board.They have controller functions too!Bigger menu than an RD300 by far and accepts 'riders'!
Rhodes ain't that bad as is on that model.Acoustic pianos used back in the 'Baldry' band days thirty years ago were alright at the time with some Korg M1 piano mixed in.....
NS3C NS2EX88 C2D Yamaha MOX8 Behringer Model D (5) Behringer Neutron (5) Roland Lucina AX9 12 Hammonds/Leslies.(BV/BCV/B2/3 A100's/M3/M102 etc.
LeftyBass68

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Jasonpank » 25 Nov 2021, 14:34

MartinJ2EX wrote:Regarding your list of hammer action keyboards:
I’d be careful, some of these “budget” hammer action pianos can have a decent keybed, but might lack a MIDI port ;)

There are some really nice MIDI hammer action pianos out there, if you don’t need an internal sound engine:
Studiologic SL88 Studio (“regular” graded FATAR action)
Studiologic SL88 Grand (wooden graded FATAR action, double the price of the Studio)
Arturia Keylab 88 mk2

I purchased a used M-Audio Hammer88. I like the feel and I have it hooked up to my NS3C with a velocity controller which seems to provide the correct velocity curve. However, playing a note at any velocity on my NS3C has more of the higher pitched portion of the sound. The Nord sound is full. The Hammer88 sounds muffled - the highs are not present at any velocity.

Is this noticed universally? Is there a cure?

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by Jasonpank on 05 Dec 2021, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.
Jasonpank

Next

Return to Nord Stage Forum