Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Re: How many of you connect a weighted-key controller...

Postby kaljo » 06 Apr 2021, 09:46

maurus wrote:I do. Kawai VPC1. Love it.

The VPC1 always stays at home, though. ;)

I guess the VPC1 has triple sensor keybed. Does the Electro (or what keyboard do you have?) accept note retriggering without note off? I've read in some threads that the Stage 3 needs a note off message before retriggering the same note.
Yamaha CLP 411, Yamaha S30, Nord Piano 3
kaljo

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Sponsor

Postby FZiegler » 06 Apr 2021, 12:25

I seem to remember that keyboard manufacturers implemented that MIDI feature differently. Look here:
nord-piano-grand-forum-f10/nord-grand-with-triple-sensors-midi-implementation-t18954.html

That's why the handling of retriggered notes is still on the wish list for a Stage 4. And I would really love to see that thing finally approached. Not only this way round but also the other way: Please no Note-off between two retriggered notes from a Piano 5 so that there will be no dampening on any sound module connected - of whatever brand. Or whatever standard the different manufacturers would find!

So, I'd like to know, too, what's already possible with triple sensor controller keyboards and what isn't. From the perspective of a NS3C user.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby kaljo » 06 Apr 2021, 12:43

I think my Nord Piano 3 can handle a note on message on the same note without note off but I have to test it again to be sure.

Something that has bothered me when I've used my Nord Piano 3 as a controller is that the midi notes that comes out from the Nord Piano 3 is only based on 2 sensors. I wrote to Clavia and they comfirmed it. The triple sensor is only internal for the piano section so it's not active in the sample synth section either.
kaljo

Postby jperiod » 06 Apr 2021, 15:32

I have an Electro 5 HP. This keyboard is not optimal for piano or organ playing, in my opinion. Slightly better for piano playing than organ playing. I hook a weighted 88 key keyboard up to it via midi and it is acceptable, but not as organic as when playing the Nord Piano or Grand. Since I am thinking about upgrading, I am considering either the Electro 6 D 73, and getting a weighted 88 key controller, or getting the Nord Piano 5 and getting an Electro 5D 73 for organ work. Since my playing is 90% acoustic piano I am leaning toward the Nord Piano 5 (or 4) and the electro for organ work. In any case, it looks like a 2 board solution will be best for me anyways.
jperiod

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby kaljo » 06 Apr 2021, 18:07

FZiegler wrote:I seem to remember that keyboard manufacturers implemented that MIDI feature differently.

Yes Roland seems to implement triple sensor via midi differently. Today I was in my local music store trying out a few different digital pianos. One piano I really liked was the Roland FP10 which I think I could use both as a piano and midi controller and it has a triple sensor keybed and the key action feels nice. I connected it via USB to my iphone and checked with the ios-app Midi Wrench and could see that it actually adds a note off message before note on when bottom-retriggering a note. The downside with the FP-10 and most other less expensive digital pianos is that they only have USB-midi. But I've got it to work with other USB-midi-keyboards to my Nord Piano via USB-midi with a USB-hub and the camera connection kit and my iPhone as host and the free ios-app midimittr. It doesn't seems to add latency either but it would be less complicated to just have a traditional midi-cable.
kaljo

Postby Lizard King » 07 Apr 2021, 20:27

Kueweil Forte....but I prefer the Kurzweil pianos. I use the Nord for organs.
Lizard King

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby FZiegler » 07 Apr 2021, 21:18

Concerning fast repetion with 3rd sensor:
kaljo wrote:I connected it via USB to my iphone and checked with the ios-app Midi Wrench and could see that it actually adds a note off message before note on when bottom-retriggering a note.

If you mean by that the retriggering via the middle sensor with Note-on Note-off Note-on Note-off, it would be the same as I heard the Nord does it: Which is no difference to what a 2-sensor keyboard would send. Whereas the VPC-1 sends Note-on Note-on Note-off Note-off for a double hit key, so that you really get two attacks of a note without a damper noise activated inbetween - but not on a Nord which only seems to understand Note-on ... Note-off ...
(cf. post126690.html#p126690)
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby anotherscott » 07 Apr 2021, 23:31

themixtape wrote:I have a Casio PX160...I was thinking of just picking up the Electro 6D 61, and connecting either my Casio PX160 to it, and/or my Studiologic SL73

The SL73 will work. The PX160 doesn't have a 5-pin MIDI jack, so you would need some other host device in between, which can be a standalone box (like the ones from MidiPlus or Kenton) or a computer or iOS device.
anotherscott

Previous

Return to Nord Electro Forum