Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Re: How do I prevent volume pedal on Nord affecting midi'd s

Postby Rufus8102 » 05 Apr 2021, 21:55

A very good solution to this problem is to use a "MIDISolutions Router". http://midisolutions.com/prodrte.htm I just picked up a used one for $75 and it works great. All you need to do is program it to filter out the the "expression controller" message. It will stop the message being from being sent. I have an Electro 5d as my main keyboard and a Yamaha Motif 6 which it is midi'd to. I have an expression pedal connected to each keyboard and they were both controlling the Motif. With the router in place, the pedals now work independently. Check it out....you'll be very happy.

I should mention that the MIDI Solutions Router needs 5 volts through midi and the Nord Electro 5d only puts out 3.3 volts. MIDI Solutions has a list of keyboards that the router will or will not work with. So be sure to check out that list here. http://midisolutions.com/faqs.htm#MultiVoltage Look where it says "Troubleshooting the MIDI Solutions Products". To alleviate this problem, you can purchase a "Power Adapter" made by MIDI Solutions also. The adapter will give the router the 5 volts that it needs to work. MIDI Solutions is now making their products as "Multivoltage" products, but they haven't produced a Mutivoltage Router yet.
Last edited by Rufus8102 on 04 May 2021, 02:52, edited 2 times in total.
Rufus8102

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Sponsor

Postby vcfvca » 12 Apr 2021, 00:37

I have contacted Nord about a similar problem with Control Change Send/Receive function. You are correct that even when Send is Off it will still transmit Volume and Sustain messages. The CC Send/Receive page does just disables the panel knobs and buttons from transmitting data.

Here is another similar issue - using a keyboard to control the Lower Part - Ext Keyb to Lower Function. If the Nord E6 is set to Ch1 and the 2nd keyboard (prophet 6 in my case) is set to CH2 it seems to work fine. BUT if you disable Ext Keyb to Lower and just want play the Prophet and the Nord separately, the Nord will still respond to Volume messages coming from the Prophet on Ch2 [Ext]! The only way to stop it to disconnect the MIDI cable or change the MIDI channel.

Nord Techs have confirmed that this happens and are looking into it - no update yet.

The author vcfvca was thanked by:
mmckavanagh63
vcfvca

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby Tasten-Bert » 12 Apr 2021, 15:34

A follow up of my post dated 4th April: I mailed clavia last Tuesday and got a reply on Friday. As far as our question is concerned it reads:

In short: I’m noting this as a request here.

For some background, we have “historically” treated what we ourselves refer to as “devices” differently than other cc generating controls. This includes the sustain pedal, volume and swell pedal and I guess the mod wheel and pitch stick as well. It is not always intuitive that for example the sustain pedal would stop working when turning off cc send, but… where to draw the line. [end of quote]

So we‘ll see what’s happening. Stay healthy everybody, cheers
Last edited by Tasten-Bert on 12 Apr 2021, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20

The author Tasten-Bert was thanked by:
mmckavanagh63
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby FZiegler » 12 Apr 2021, 18:33

You know, I'm a manual guy. But I start being cured from simply citing the papers - as you will never know if there is a hidden caveat.

It's obvious that you would want to be able to send/receive CC0 and CC32 for PC commands if CC is off and PC on. And it may or may not be nice to keep some basic CCs, too - I'm not experienced enough to know which (missing AT in the above list).

But user friendly would be to list the effects in the MIDI controller list of the manual -- which CC is suppressable for sending/receiving or not. To know without having to find out which MIDI CC is set off or not. Even if it changes from time to time through another firmware update.

The only information I find about that is about MIDI / Messages (p.24/25) noting which CC are organ swell, control pedal or sustain (CC4, CC11 and CC64).

Thanks, Tasten-Bert for the information. And thank you, Nord, for adding this information in the Electro's as well as the other manuals -- considering the Nords are more and more used aside from stages.
Last edited by FZiegler on 12 Apr 2021, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars

The author FZiegler was thanked by:
mmckavanagh63
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby mmckavanagh63 » 15 Apr 2021, 23:22

vcfvca wrote:I have contacted Nord about a similar problem with Control Change Send/Receive function. You are correct that even when Send is Off it will still transmit Volume and Sustain messages. The CC Send/Receive page does just disables the panel knobs and buttons from transmitting data.

Here is another similar issue - using a keyboard to control the Lower Part - Ext Keyb to Lower Function. If the Nord E6 is set to Ch1 and the 2nd keyboard (prophet 6 in my case) is set to CH2 it seems to work fine. BUT if you disable Ext Keyb to Lower and just want play the Prophet and the Nord separately, the Nord will still respond to Volume messages coming from the Prophet on Ch2 [Ext]! The only way to stop it to disconnect the MIDI cable or change the MIDI channel.

Nord Techs have confirmed that this happens and are looking into it - no update yet.

Thanks for that - yes it does seem that there are some limitations, and disconnecting the midi cable / changing the channels isn't really what you want to do when you have all your set lists lined up to work a certain way! Hopefully with the query going to Nord they may put a software engineer on to solving it. Cheers, Michael
mmckavanagh63

Postby mmckavanagh63 » 15 Apr 2021, 23:26

Tasten-Bert wrote:A follow up of my post dated 4th April: I mailed clavia last Tuesday and got a reply on Friday. As far as our question is concerned it reads:

In short: I’m noting this as a request here.

For some background, we have “historically” treated what we ourselves refer to as “devices” differently than other cc generating controls. This includes the sustain pedal, volume and swell pedal and I guess the mod wheel and pitch stick as well. It is not always intuitive that for example the sustain pedal would stop working when turning off cc send, but… where to draw the line. [end of quote]

So we‘ll see what’s happening. Stay healthy everybody, cheers

Thanks Tasten-Bert for the update on your query to Nord. It's good that they now have the question in front of them (from a user perspective), so hopefully some sort of software fix to provide on/off functionality can be developed. Cheers, Michael
mmckavanagh63

Previous

Return to Nord Electro Forum