Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Re: How do I prevent volume pedal on Nord affecting midi'd s

Postby FZiegler » 04 Apr 2021, 12:03

Tasten-Bert wrote:... just a gut feel. Call it hope.

. . . . . . . . . ^^^

:) Sometimes, we non-native speakers don't pay attention. "Good feeling" was probably meant. "Gut" is "good" in German.

Sorry, Tasten-Bert. I was completely barking up the wrong tree! Thought, it would be one of the cases where one mixes in one similar word from his own language. Didn't know the expression! Thanks, baekgaard, for letting me know! I hate looking like an idiot (even if I am).
Last edited by FZiegler on 04 Apr 2021, 15:49, edited 4 times in total.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby baekgaard » 04 Apr 2021, 14:18

FZiegler wrote:
Tasten-Bert wrote:... just a gut feel. Call it hope.

. . . . . . . . . ^^^

:) Sometimes, we non-native speakers don't pay attention. "Good feeling" was probably meant. "Gut" is "good" in German.
"Gut feeling" is an English idiom which means intuition in this context, I think

At least that is my gut feeling - my hunch - my intuition ... here :-)

Sent from my phone in brevity

The author baekgaard was thanked by:
FZiegler
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby mmckavanagh63 » 04 Apr 2021, 17:44

Tasten-Bert wrote:Morning, Michael,
yes, it might be, that you‘re dealing with a feature. But if it was mine, I think I‘d give it a try. The update from 2.50 to 2.52 deals with the handling of MIDI program changes OFF and SEND. They don‘t explicitly mention control changes, but as we say in German „one has already seen horses vomit“ it might well be that the update corrects both. I don‘t know, just a gut feel. Call it hope. I keep my fingers crossed.
Cheers

Thanks, i ran the update to 2.52 but still no change to what's happening. Looks like a feature. Not the end of the world as I can work around the limitation, but would have been better if I could find an easy on/off setting.

Thanks again for all your replies.

Btw, I grew up while listening to Made in Japan - one of my favourite albums of all time. The Hammond work of the master Jon Lord is something to be behold!!
mmckavanagh63

Postby mmckavanagh63 » 04 Apr 2021, 17:53

Hlaalu wrote:
mmckavanagh63 wrote:even with CC and PC both switched to 'off' the volume pedal is still operating and changing the volume level on the Roland

But when you switch that to OFF are other CC messages being sent as well or only the pedal?

There used to he a bug in the Electro and the Wave 2 (...and the Stage 3, which is still affected) that did the opposite thing: incoming messages weren't filtered even with the setting to OFF. It might be that a similar bug is at play here, namely that all CC messages are sent regardless of that setting.

But if it's just the pedal then it's something else...

I'm not sure actually, I'm really only using the JDXI as a sound module (playing it from the full sized Nord keyboard) and I haven't tried to control the patches on it from the Nord, as it's as easy to use the control surface on the JDXI directly. There just isn't anything obvious in the menus of either keyboard to stop the volume pedal attached to the Nord from affecting the volume level on the JDXI, and the CC/PC settings seemed to be the best place to look. I'll also confess to not being deeply knowledgeable on midi!!!

Thanks for the reply.
mmckavanagh63

Postby Tasten-Bert » 04 Apr 2021, 18:01

Firstly I must say it’s a pity that I‘ve just realized that this is the same situation with my electro 5D. It should be as it is supposed to be in the NE6: if you switch the setting to „Receive“ then it should not send any volume change. No matter where I put the setting - it sends. I would say it’s a bug. I‘ll send an email to my contact at clavia.

Secondly: yes, Jon Lord is a master above all others for me.

Thirdly: FZiegler, never mind, thank you for your correction. Things like that can happen from time to time. You‘ve contributed so many interesting posts here - I do really look forward to reading more.

Cheers from Germany, and stay healthy everybody
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20

The author Tasten-Bert was thanked by 2 members, including:
mmckavanagh63FZiegler
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby FZiegler » 04 Apr 2021, 18:13

FZiegler wrote:Maybe you should have a look into different ways of filtering MIDI events. Either by connecting the instruments through a little black box programmed according to your needs (cf. MIDI Solutions Event Processor 2, MOD Devices MIDI Event Filter, MidiTech MIDI Thru 4 / Filter etc.) or by passing MIDI through a DAW or a performer software on a tablet or a computer. Perhaps there's anyone with some experience around.

So we are back to the point where my suggestions would be a momentary solution. I thought that your idea, Tasten-Bert, with updating to FW 2.52 could work - other than for the Stages which aren't handled at all concerning that bug. Sadly, it doesn't.
The "little box" solution is the more secure one as it is programmed in advance and then works for the next 2 years (or so); whereas the "smart device" solution with a computer or a tablet connected in between would be the more flexible solution as you can change settings during a performance.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars

The author FZiegler was thanked by:
mmckavanagh63
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby mmckavanagh63 » 04 Apr 2021, 19:00

Tasten-Bert wrote:Firstly I must say it’s a pity that I‘ve just realized that this is the same situation with my electro 5D. It should be as it is supposed to be in the NE6: if you switch the setting to „Receive“ then it should not send any volume change. No matter where I put the setting - it sends. I would say it’s a bug. I‘ll send an email to my contact at clavia.

Secondly: yes, Jon Lord is a master above all others for me.

Thirdly: FZiegler, never mind, thank you for your correction. Things like that can happen from time to time. You‘ve contributed so many interesting posts here - I do really look forward to reading more.

Cheers from Germany, and stay healthy everybody

Thanks, I'm (sort of) glad it's not only me who has the issue!!!

Maybe a further software update (following your email to your contact at Nord) will fix the problem. Thank you for doing that.

Thanks again for all your help.

Let's hope we can all get out playing live very soon!!!
mmckavanagh63

Postby mmckavanagh63 » 04 Apr 2021, 19:01

FZiegler wrote:
FZiegler wrote:Maybe you should have a look into different ways of filtering MIDI events. Either by connecting the instruments through a little black box programmed according to your needs (cf. MIDI Solutions Event Processor 2, MOD Devices MIDI Event Filter, MidiTech MIDI Thru 4 / Filter etc.) or by passing MIDI through a DAW or a performer software on a tablet or a computer. Perhaps there's anyone with some experience around.

So we are back to the point where my suggestions would be a momentary solution. I thought that your idea, Tasten-Bert, with updating to FW 2.52 could work - other than for the Stages which aren't handled at all concerning that bug. Sadly, it doesn't.
The "little box" solution is the more secure one as it is programmed in advance and then works for the next 2 years (or so); whereas the "smart device" solution with a computer or a tablet connected in between would be the more flexible solution as you can change settings during a performance.

Thanks, I will have a look at those options.
mmckavanagh63

Postby Rufus8102 » 05 Apr 2021, 21:55

A very good solution to this problem is to use a "MIDISolutions Router". http://midisolutions.com/prodrte.htm I just picked up a used one for $75 and it works great. All you need to do is program it to filter out the the "expression controller" message. It will stop the message being from being sent. I have an Electro 5d as my main keyboard and a Yamaha Motif 6 which it is midi'd to. I have an expression pedal connected to each keyboard and they were both controlling the Motif. With the router in place, the pedals now work independently. Check it out....you'll be very happy.

I should mention that the MIDI Solutions Router needs 5 volts through midi and the Nord Electro 5d only puts out 3.3 volts. MIDI Solutions has a list of keyboards that the router will or will not work with. So be sure to check out that list here. http://midisolutions.com/faqs.htm#MultiVoltage Look where it says "Troubleshooting the MIDI Solutions Products". To alleviate this problem, you can purchase a "Power Adapter" made by MIDI Solutions also. The adapter will give the router the 5 volts that it needs to work. MIDI Solutions is now making their products as "Multivoltage" products, but they haven't produced a Mutivoltage Router yet.
Last edited by Rufus8102 on 04 May 2021, 02:52, edited 2 times in total.
Rufus8102

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby vcfvca » 12 Apr 2021, 00:37

I have contacted Nord about a similar problem with Control Change Send/Receive function. You are correct that even when Send is Off it will still transmit Volume and Sustain messages. The CC Send/Receive page does just disables the panel knobs and buttons from transmitting data.

Here is another similar issue - using a keyboard to control the Lower Part - Ext Keyb to Lower Function. If the Nord E6 is set to Ch1 and the 2nd keyboard (prophet 6 in my case) is set to CH2 it seems to work fine. BUT if you disable Ext Keyb to Lower and just want play the Prophet and the Nord separately, the Nord will still respond to Volume messages coming from the Prophet on Ch2 [Ext]! The only way to stop it to disconnect the MIDI cable or change the MIDI channel.

Nord Techs have confirmed that this happens and are looking into it - no update yet.

The author vcfvca was thanked by:
mmckavanagh63
vcfvca

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Electro Forum