The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum

Re: Piano Sounds on the next C2d ?

Postby Spider » 20 Mar 2021, 15:47

Rob Millis wrote:But I really don't think we are ever going to see another dual manual organ - be it in one lump or modular - from Clavia.

Honestly, only Clavia knows. It's true that it's a niche market and there are many competitors right now, but also note that the dual-manual competition is also moving in the "organ-only" direction: the Legend is a pure organ, as the HK-5. The Mojo had extra sounds in the original, 61 and XT models, and dropped them in the new dual-manual versions. The new SK-Pro has extra sounds and features, but is single-manual only (for now, at least).
It may be that exactly because the dual-manual sector is small, highly focused and targeted at dedicated organ players, those customers simply don't want other sounds on their organ, and will use single-manual do-it-all keyboards for all other non-organ duties. Otherwise it's difficult to explain the success of the Mojo, Legend, and even the C-line from Nord.
It makes sense after all: if I only need some generic hammond sound to play some chords together with pianos, synths etc, it's quite awkward to dedicate a whole second manual to that (and to do that, having then to play piano on a 5-octave unweighted action). Better to simply split my Stage or Electro and dedicate just an octave or two to organ. Conversely, if I'm a pure organ player and make full use of the two manuals (and possibly the pedalboard) for serious hammond work, I will simply have no more keys -or hands!- to dedicate to other sounds.

I can relate to this experience because when I was getting into hammond I bought a Nord C2, then quickly exchanged it for an SK2 because I needed the extra sounds in my band. Result: I quickly realized that for typical cover band work, my Stage 2 will always be better and more practical than the SK2. Its hammond and leslie sound is MUCH better than the NS2's...but not so much to make me give up all the other advantages of the Stage.
So the SK2 stays at home on its fixed stand with pedalboard, and I use it only for practicing my pitiful organ skills, hoping that one day I'll be good enough to start an organ only band! :oops: :lol:
Last edited by Spider on 20 Mar 2021, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Re: Piano Sounds on the next C2d ?

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Nord C1 / C2 / C2D Organ Forum