All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Re: Mixer

Postby cgrafx » 16 Mar 2021, 23:32

Rufus8102 wrote:Tasten-Bert.....yes I was asking for live gigging. I like having a mixer where I can play with the EQ if needed, depending on the room. The Radial Key Largo that was mentioned by other posters does not have that option. I currently play in a 9 piece horn band so I send a line from my mixer to our FOH. But I'm also thinking of putting a duo or trio together and I'd need a mixer with effects for vocals. My Mackie does not have effects. So I was trying to get some opinions. Someone mentioned the Allen and Heath Zed 10FX which I was looking at also. I was just wondering what everyone thought as far as if the mixer really affects the quality of sound that much. Thanks for your opinion.

In very general terms any reasonably modern mixer will have effectively zero impact on the quality of the sound and would be the last piece of the signal chain to worry about.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby wweiss » 17 Mar 2021, 04:03

One would really need to have "Golden Audiophile" ears to hear the different SQ between budget live mixers. I have a Zed 10 FX which I love and also have a new Mackie Pro Fx 16 V3 mixer. Besides different features they both sound great for live keyboards. Can't speak to build quality. I have never had a mixer go out on me.
wweiss

Postby Tasten-Bert » 17 Mar 2021, 12:40

Okay, rufus, I see.
Having said that a today‘s mixer doesn‘t „make“ the sound was meant in a linear way, not playing with EQ and effects. For your situation two thoughts:
In my rockband we used a Yamaha similar to the MG10XUF, I can‘t remember the number of channels. It kept us flexible regarding reverb and EQ for different locations. Price was around 250 Euros.
In my Schlagerband we have a ZOOM LifeTrak L-12 which is even more comfortable because we can save different settings for different line-ups. Price was around 500 Euros.
Cheers, would be nice if you can keep us updated.
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Rusty Mike » 17 Mar 2021, 17:45

In a live situation, the nuance of the different mixers is less noticeable relative to a studio. You mixer selection should focus on road-worthiness as well as sound quality.

For what it's worth, I use a Mackie 402-VLZ4 or Key Largo based on the application. The Mackie is a tough little box and I think it sounds fine.

One more thought - I focus more on my Nord for the EQ control and effects, and not the mixer for almost all applications. It's different if you need the mixer to have some effects for a singer, however.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Current Nords: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D 73
Ownership History: Electro 2, Electro 3-73 SW, Electro 3HP, Electro 4D, Stage 2EX 76HP
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Previous

Return to Accessories and Amplification