Need EQ for Blue Swede Upright on NE4

Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.
jon54
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Need EQ for Blue Swede Upright on NE4

Post by jon54 »

The subject line says it all I think. Does anyone have favorite EQ settings, perhaps as text that I can enter manually, or as a ne4p file?

PS - am I correct in thinking that (eg) an npno file substituted into a new memory position takes on the EQ already resident in that memory position? I'm just thinking that my moving samples around over the years has attributed unsuitable EQs to them. And I'm no good at tweaking EQ til it sounds good.

<EDIT> I loaded in the large Blue Swede and it sounds just fine, even though the previous upright in that memory position was really 'boxy'. Still confused but happy with The Swede.

Thanks!
Last edited by jon54 on 03 Mar 2021, 07:39, edited 1 time in total.
JohnT
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Re: Need EQ for Blue Swede Upright on NE4

Post by JohnT »

It is my understanding, EQ settings are saved in the "Program" that references the sample. The sample location does not store EQ settings.
Last edited by JohnT on 03 Mar 2021, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
Current rig: Nord Electro SW4, Kurzweil K2500XS, Roland XP-30, Proteus 2000, QSC K8.2, QSC K10.2, Yamaha HS80M, Auratones, Mackie 802-VLZ3, Focusrite Saphire Pro 40, MOTU MicroLite, Samsung Servo 120a, Sony MDR 7506 & MDR 7509HD, Sennheiser HD-650
cphollis
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Post by cphollis »

Agreed. If you replace piano X in program Y with piano Z, piano Z will inherit everything in program Y, including EQ. Also, if you're on a program and spin the piano selector, all your selections will inherit the current program.

Back to the original question, it depends. I do like the Blue Swede. When I'm competing with other electric instruments, there's always a heavy dose of treble (or "bright" if you have that button) to cut through. I am not above layering with a piano-like sample to help do this. Other setting it's usually pretty flat.
I think I have gear issues ....
alex78
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Post by alex78 »

I am not above layering with a piano-like sample to help do this
This is a good trick if you own a stage or electro 5/6 but the OP seems to have an electro 2 so he can't benefit from it.
In any case, eq settings that sound good to MY ears with MY amplification is not likely to sound good in YOUR ears with YOUR amplification. Good sound depends on various factors. Sometimes the same settings may sound different in different gigs with different sound systems, it can also happen to sound good when playing at home and turn to crap when playing with a band, or vice versa.
So my no1 advice would be not to rely on other musucian's settings, but to trust your own ears and adjust it in a way that sounds good to you. If you play with a band, spend some time during a rehearsal tweaking and asking your bandmate's opinion over the tweaks you make. If it sounds good to you and the rest of the band it will probably sound good to your audience too.
jon54
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Post by jon54 »

Thank you all. After I'd posted I mulled over the nuances of meaning regarding the sample ( eg npno file and where it was stored) and the program (ne4p file?) that referenced the sample and contained modifiers such as EQ, effects and their settings and where IT was stored (in program locations 1.1, 1.2 etc).

Also, good point re 'good sounding' EQ being relevant to amp equipment and room.
Gambold
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Post by Gambold »

I do like the Blue Swede. <. The Blue Swede! So CP, what is about this piano that you like?
Nord Electro 6D
Korg SV-2
Yamaha P22
IK Uno Synth